Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 42

Author Topic: (old) 0.7.12 version branch  (Read 291712 times)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: Development version: 0.7.12.3230
« Reply #330 on: September 06, 2012, 07:22:07 am »

Where it belongs:

Deutschmark

« Reply #331 on: September 06, 2012, 08:51:53 am »

naaa... That's not where it belongs...
It belongs in my driveway...  ;D

Deutschmark
I have not come across a polygon yet that I have not been able to model with

Steve.Wilson

• Home Cockpit Builder
« Reply #332 on: September 06, 2012, 09:17:35 am »

Need to be able to bank the roads.  :)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #333 on: September 06, 2012, 09:29:14 am »

Foxiol

• Gamer
« Reply #334 on: September 06, 2012, 09:57:33 am »

Amazing job Cameni. Waiting till we can try it.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #335 on: September 06, 2012, 10:02:28 am »

There I go ruining all the surprises.. Well Cats and Bags don't mix and it has been too quiet lately anyway. Everything needs a little BUZZZZZZZ>..
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Steve.Wilson

• Home Cockpit Builder
« Reply #336 on: September 06, 2012, 12:10:27 pm »

Need to be able to bank the roads.  :)
Already there

Cool.  Need to model Nürburgring then...  :D

FeedMeCheese

« Reply #337 on: September 06, 2012, 01:15:33 pm »

If you encounter someone in a vehicle for what you don't have a model (and you would see just a labeled bounding geometry in the game), it can be downloaded automatically for you as long as the model file is reachable and can be downloaded. It would be best to support some services that enable anyone to put their models somewhere, for example the Google Drive. So in theory, when uploading the model info it could ask you if it should be uploaded to one of the supported hosting services, or you would provide a link to it. However, since the hosting usually requires an user interaction (clicking on the link), a web window would pop up if the file cannot be downloaded directly.

We are going to have a special extension for the compressed package files, and in our internal browser there will be an automatic url handler, meaning that if you click on a link pointing to a download of the package file, the engine would recognize it automatically and install the model(s) for you.
It also opens the possibility for someone to make a sharing site where people could put up their models, and the site could be either browsed from within the engine through its internal browser or through an external one, launching OT to install the models when an OT package file was downloaded.

So say I join a game where people have been building their cities and have their own custom vehicles ect, at first, I'll see a mass of labelled bounding boxes and will have to download each and every model via an alternate site (ie SkyDrive). That's cool, but how would it work if there were thousands of custom models?

My point is, there's a game called Garry's Mod, not sure if anyone here's heard of it but it's a sandbox game that allows you to import models and a bit of Lua code so that you can have custom cars ect, but say for example I joined a server where the owner had a load of custom models, my game would begin downloading those models, pieces of code ect so that I could see and interact with them when I join the game. Wouldn't it be easier to have a system like that?

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #338 on: September 06, 2012, 01:55:52 pm »

I joined a server where the owner had a load of custom models, my game would begin downloading those models, pieces of code ect so that I could see and interact with them when I join the game. Wouldn't it be easier to have a system like that?

Well the difference between Outerra and Garrys mod is Gmod is a 2sq/km map and Outerra is the earth. So odds are unless you plan on just being next to someone from the get-go you won't need the model house on the top on everest and the farm in kansas and the pizzeria in Brazil. Only when you approach these items should they download AUTOMATICALLY.. and if there is a problem you will get an error. The bounding box should only be there if the model fails to load BUT unlike garrys mod instead of a huge error you will still see the models collision with a default texture so you aren't left guessing what it is.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #339 on: September 06, 2012, 02:33:10 pm »

say for example I joined a server where the owner had a load of custom models, my game would begin downloading those models, pieces of code ect so that I could see and interact with them when I join the game. Wouldn't it be easier to have a system like that?
The problem is not so much technical but a legal one. If you are going to provide your own servers hosting the data, that would hand them out on demand for direct download, then it will work the way you have described. And when some lawyers come saying that we need to remove this and that, we are safe because we are not hosting the content, and we don't have even to deal with it.

However, filling the whole world with content is not a trivial task, chances are that you will be rather participating with all users on building a single world. That means multiple data providers, but as long as the data are directly accessible it will all run on the background.

The global system is suitable for a commercial use for simulators; if a company wants to sell it's aircraft or scenery models (and customers are willing to pay for them) then it would work flawlessly, buying directly from within the app, with possibility to be served from our servers. Allowing anyone to provide their own content this way is only a logical step, allowing for freeware content and mods, but the problem with freeware stuff is that it's often hosted on various free hosting sites that don't allow direct downloading.

Deutschmark

« Reply #340 on: September 06, 2012, 03:15:06 pm »

So then if I read this right if I host stuff for download at my site and then host a server allowing all the stock things in the sim as well as the stuff I host for download at my site then all will be ok?, let me ask this, will I be able to host a game on a very strong home PC with a very strong intranet connection like I do now with other games?

Deutschmark

FeedMeCheese

« Reply #341 on: September 06, 2012, 03:45:22 pm »

Hmm sounds fair enough, however I don't think the content would need to be hosted by you.

The thing is, on that Garry's Mod game I mentioned, say if I wanted to set up a server and I wanted to have a car on it that no-one else would have (say for instance I made it myself), I add that car to my server's "addon" folder and anyone who joins my server will be download that file straight from my server. I think that may be the easiest way as I'm not sure if every server owner would manually upload each model they have to a file-sharing website or their own. Plus with the likelihood of bad/dead links it may be rather annoying.

Also, if other players on a server have their own models, maybe every other player on the server can download the files, that way it wouldn't be as tasking on the host's end and the uploading and downloading would be spread between the players.

Basically my point is, it might be easier to have some sort of models folder for each individual and the files they put in there will be given out to every other player in the server, that way there is no trouble of going to external websites and downloading 1000's of files. Also, the only stress on internet connection is shared between players, not solely dumped on you.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #342 on: September 06, 2012, 03:55:15 pm »

So then if I read this right if I host stuff for download at my site and then host a server allowing all the stock things in the sim as well as the stuff I host for download at my site then all will be ok?, let me ask this, will I be able to host a game on a very strong home PC with a very strong intranet connection like I do now with other games?
What I wrote above is meant for the global world simulator platform, technically a game mode of Anteworld. I believe what you are asking about is your game that you mean to develop, right? Things are mixing up a bit here.

Deutschmark

« Reply #343 on: September 06, 2012, 04:00:04 pm »

No am talking a stock game mode of Anteworld allowing stuff I have for download to be played on a stock game, and will I be able to host a stock game allowing them things on a very strong home PC with a very strong intranet connection like I do now with other games?

Deutschmark
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 04:01:56 pm by Deutschmark »

Deutschmark

« Reply #344 on: September 06, 2012, 04:08:12 pm »

I will give you a example, lets say I make a MIG 15 and a F86 and I then host a stock game mode of Anteworld and allow them two planes as well as all the stock vehicles to be play in it, will that be able to be done? and will I be able to host a stock game allowing them things on a very strong home PC with a very strong intranet connection like I do now with other games?

Deutschmark
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 42