Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 30

Author Topic: Importer  (Read 286480 times)

monks

Re: Importer
« Reply #255 on: January 18, 2013, 06:19:44 pm »

What is the poly limit currently of the importer peeps? Has anybody "stress tested" it yet?

monks

Midviki

• Nothing matters... but everything is important.
« Reply #256 on: January 18, 2013, 08:28:48 pm »

Check the first pages... but I think Zeos imported like a 80k polygon tank... actually I think he imported like 10 of them and facing the camera to them.And still his comp didn't crash.I'm not sure about the same thing with objects that will have animations that the comp won't crash at that many polys.But for static objects, I think you need to wait a bit of time when you import the object, but it will probably be ok.
ATI AMD RADEON HD 6670

monks

« Reply #257 on: January 18, 2013, 08:46:01 pm »

ok, so that's about 1 million polys. Is that 2 million triangles? I'm asking for someone who has a building model
at 12 million triangles. He wanted a google-earth type viewer for his model and I immediately thought of Outerra.
So it depends to some extent on his computer?

monks

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #258 on: January 18, 2013, 11:33:50 pm »

That tank had a LOT of detail I found it on Sketchup Gallery.

"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Steve.Wilson

• Home Cockpit Builder
« Reply #259 on: January 19, 2013, 12:37:15 pm »

I think it's not the importer that needs a stress test, but Outerra.....how many polys can it show in a scene, moving or static, and still maintain a minimum of 30-35 frames per second?

Jagerbomber

« Reply #260 on: January 19, 2013, 01:55:16 pm »

Ok... What am I missing here... Got a sketchup model to work (though not the textures yet)... and it still loads when I run Outerra... yet I see no folders for it in my packages folder...
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 02:01:24 pm by Jagerbomber »
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #261 on: January 19, 2013, 06:19:30 pm »

You should look in the data directory, not in the program directory.

Jagerbomber

« Reply #262 on: January 19, 2013, 06:54:26 pm »

I told the installer to install the data in the program directory...

Edit... Found it.... Why is it buried under AppData?

C:\Users\*account*\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Outerra\Anteworld\packages\Jagerbomber

Windows 8
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 07:07:56 pm by Jagerbomber »
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #263 on: January 20, 2013, 01:54:53 am »

Probably because of Windows 8. Even in W7 it was problematic to install in the program dir, if that program directory was in Program Files. UAC is making problems, I'll have to disable that option if one installs there. I guess in W8 they did it this way to solve compatibility issues.

Jagerbomber

« Reply #264 on: January 20, 2013, 10:01:46 am »

But, except for that folder, it seems to have installed in both places at the same time.  Which should I use for my data and modifications?  The AppData one?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #265 on: January 20, 2013, 11:46:13 am »

I would suggest choosing a different folder for the data ... to avoid unnecessary problems.

Jagerbomber

« Reply #266 on: January 20, 2013, 03:05:52 pm »

I prefer to have everything for one program in one place if possible... That's generally less confusing to me... (When things work that is).
But also because I never put anything in my account folder or documents folders.  I'm not sure I want to start because sometime I might forget to backup stuff from those folders, but I guess I will start...  :-\

So I did the uninstall, then deleted everything that was left behind in Program Files and under AppData (I'm not sure the uninstaller removed anything under AppData at all), installed again with everything default (not clicking the button to have it install terrain data in the program directory), did 1 import to test, and it (correctly?) put things in the Outerra folder in my account folder.  Nothing was installed under AppData.

Since it made the Jagerbomber folder under packages in the terrain data directory and not in the program directory, I use the terrain data directory for custom files and shouldn't touch the program directory at all?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 03:13:15 pm by Jagerbomber »

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #267 on: January 20, 2013, 04:04:06 pm »

Yes, program files can be generally only touched by the installer program. UAC prevents normal programs from changing its contents as it considers it to be a suspicious activity. So anything that we need to modify/create at run time goes into data path.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #268 on: January 20, 2013, 04:04:27 pm »

So just make a root folder for both.. C:\Outerra and then a DATA and PROGRAM forlder in that you install the program and the data.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Peca

• Outerra fan
« Reply #269 on: January 21, 2013, 01:53:52 pm »

Creating a root folder is bad and it should be used only as a last resort option. I hate, when I have to work with computer where is milion things in root folder.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 30