Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Desktop Wallpaper  (Read 10989 times)

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
Desktop Wallpaper
« on: September 21, 2010, 01:07:33 am »

Howdy!

This thread is designed to post your desktop wallpaper (keeping within propriety :D)

For those of you who don't already know, I'm an "armchair novelist" (re: part-time) with one publication under my hat, and a 3d/digital artist as a hobby.  I've always been fascinated by other people's desktop wallpaper (you learn a LOT about someone through their wallpaper, believe it or not!).

In the last few weeks, among many of my other projects, I've been designing and creating digital artwork intended for print, but have provided a few of them for download as desktop wallpapers.  All images are created at 16:10 aspect ratio (1920x1200), at 72 ppi.  Prints for the artwork (up to approximately 52 inches (132 cm) in width) will be available in the near future.  I've always had a fondness for "space art," but haven't traveled in that direction until recently.  This is intended to be a series of digital paintings, some depicting more "scientific" aspects of the universe, while others will be more artistic in nature.  These first three are purely artistic.

Without further adieu:

Maelstrom: http://www.cshawnsmith.com/images/maelstrom.jpg
Birth of Apollo: http://www.cshawnsmith.com/images/Birth_of_Apollo.jpg

A current work in progress is called "Pearls:" http://www.cshawnsmith.com/images/Pearls.jpg
This last image will feature a cometary impact, a la comet Shoemaker-Levy 9.  I'm still working on it, trying to perfect the cometary impact (which isn't in this version).

Post your wallpaper here!

C. Shawn Smith
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

OGREMAN

Desktop Wallpaper
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 08:15:37 am »

Very Nice wallpapers, I especially liked the "Hells Heart" image... it appears animated because of the brilliance of the exploding body top left.... am I correct in my interpretation of that image that we are looking at a star being born and a planetry break up as the gravity of the star pulls the dying planet towards it? It is a very dynamic and powerful image.

I would post a copy of my wallpaper but (not being forum/tech savy) I dont know how... I do have an extensive collection of space/scifi art.. especially some of the work of FOSS.
`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves  Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:All mimsy were the borogoves,
  And the mome raths outgrabe.
\"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!  The jaws that bite, the claws that catch! Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun;  The frumious Bandersnatch!\"

C. Shawn Smith

Desktop Wallpaper
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 12:05:32 pm »

Thanks :)  "Hell's Heart" is just a simple Photoshop painting, not animated (although it eventually will be).  It's actually depicting a star at the end of its life.  I'm working on a CGI version of this painting.  It'll depict a flourishing alien civilization, just as their star goes nova.  Some manage to escape, but most don't.  Some of the first test runs of the sun are up on my YouTube page, under the Lightwave 9.6 playlist http://www.youtube.com/cshawnsmith71

OGREMAN

Desktop Wallpaper
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 04:42:37 am »

Quote from: cshawnsmith
Thanks :)  "Hell's Heart" is just a simple Photoshop painting, not animated (although it eventually will be).  It's actually depicting a star at the end of its life.  I'm working on a CGI version of this painting.  It'll depict a flourishing alien civilization, just as their star goes nova.  Some manage to escape, but most don't.  Some of the first test runs of the sun are up on my YouTube page, under the Lightwave 9.6 playlist http://www.youtube.com/cshawnsmith71

Very Nice graphic...
`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves  Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:All mimsy were the borogoves,
  And the mome raths outgrabe.
\"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!  The jaws that bite, the claws that catch! Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun;  The frumious Bandersnatch!\"

C. Shawn Smith

Desktop Wallpaper
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 11:31:54 pm »

Thank you :).  Once I get my main computer up and running again, I'll be able to continue work on the video.  There's a lot of cool scenes I have in mind that will be relatively easy to accomplish, but on my current system, will take DAYS to render.  That sun video on my main system only took an hour.  On my backup system, it's taken almost 2 days to render :(.  If I don't get my main system up and running soon, I'll never be able to play Outerra, unless Cam and Angrypig manage to dumb down the demo enough :(.  And if they do that, I think molotov cocktails will be flying through the Outerra HQ building :D