Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Melting terrain  (Read 5913 times)

zuluknob

Melting terrain
« on: December 08, 2012, 06:44:45 pm »

just beyond the grass the terain looks like it is melting down. i presume that it is to make the grass top and terrain top match but it looks weird, like i'm on acid or something.
Windows 10 Pro
Amd fx-8350
2x Amd r9 280x
16gig ram
Hisense 58" 4k3D TV
blah blah blah...

Jagerbomber

Re: Melting terrain
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 07:18:23 pm »

You can't have the 3D grass go on forever or else your computer would melt, but yes, in other games, it looks like the grass grows, while in this it looks oddly like it shrinks as you move along. It's transitioning from the bumps to the 3D grass I believe, while other games don't have the bumps at all in the distance.
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

Danielcz

• Personal website
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 09:08:43 pm »

maybe that grass will be optimized in future too.. i think its overdone (too much), but its look good on screenshots and now creating nice visual layer (anteworld is almost empty at this stage).. after 3D trees, bushes, rocks, leaves and various types of flowers framerate will start dropping dramatically and there will be no room for super dense grass (not even speak if some city or village will be in background with FX, animated assets and complex shaders). Worst is that current future for faster graphic cards looks grim, with ever increasing time for new process technology at TMSC and delays in graphic cards cycle release (now rumored to 1.5 years for series and 3 years for node jump) man cant bet on fast GFX speed increase (not even speak about lots of transistors tossed into GPGPU features which stealing space of "raw" performance
Game Designer - Level Designer - 3D/2D Graphic
Prophet 9700Pro -X300-X700PRO-X1950XTX-HD1600XT-HD2600XT-HD3870x2-HD4870x2-HD5670-HD6670-R9 290X TriX

http://danielmoravek.com

zuluknob

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 09:55:36 pm »

no, you misunderstand. its not that the grass is popping up or fading in, the actual terrain mesh appears to melt down just beyond the edge of the grass starting. looks odd.
Windows 10 Pro
Amd fx-8350
2x Amd r9 280x
16gig ram
Hisense 58" 4k3D TV
blah blah blah...

Jagerbomber

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 10:00:16 pm »

Yeah, you mean the bumps on the terrain mesh right?  That's what I was talking about.
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 03:44:11 am »

The transition isn't yet perfect, when you look closely you'll always see it. In some settings it may be more obvious, what's your terrain quality and grass parameters?

Midviki

• Nothing matters... but everything is important.
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 07:47:35 am »

I would say it rather looks nice!... especially when compared to other games.It would look nice with a some black / red texture / gray... specific volcanic zones and maybe the edges and terrain between lava rivers. : ;D
ATI AMD RADEON HD 6670

Jagerbomber

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 09:20:07 am »

I would say it rather looks nice!... especially when compared to other games.It would look nice with a some black / red texture / gray... specific volcanic zones and maybe the edges and terrain between lava rivers. : ;D

lol We're not there yet.  ::)

Midviki

• Nothing matters... but everything is important.
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 09:23:51 am »

lol We're not there yet.  ::)

Hehe... it would be cool to be able to apply some textures on terrain or draw them on the terrain with a brush or something.  ;D
ATI AMD RADEON HD 6670

zuluknob

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 12:17:53 pm »

everything is set to default
Windows 10 Pro
Amd fx-8350
2x Amd r9 280x
16gig ram
Hisense 58" 4k3D TV
blah blah blah...