Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Random rocks  (Read 30345 times)

Midviki

• Nothing matters... but everything is important.
Re: Random rocks
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2013, 02:54:53 pm »

The only thing I dislike about rocks is an update a few weeks ago that made the rock texture look like this:

The ground looks nice with the Normal mapping on.But the rock texture was from before the normal maps implemented.

Can't the normal maps work on rocks and hill rocks like it does on the plain ground and not require that texture full of lines ? And I saw there is a difference of detail when you are a bit more far away, but it works only when u'r far away. You can maybe make those lines to faint away when you are getting closer and probably disappear when your close enough like 2 meters or < 1 meter.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 02:56:33 pm by Midviki »
ATI AMD RADEON HD 6670

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2013, 10:33:14 pm »

you have one of your settings up too high.. Ground detail is being generated WAY past the norm like this

"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2013, 02:08:34 am »

Are you using L24 for ground detail? There's a precision problem there with normal maps.

Midviki

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2013, 02:19:14 am »

Yeah... "max terrain level generated" was at 24... if I tune it up more to 25 / 26 / etc... , I could see other things like the one when u'r too close to the ground and you see squares under you.But tuned it down to 23... the color went a bit from dark to a grey and it looks like some kind of excessive shade.And at 22 it disappeared but it started to look "minecrafty".
ATI AMD RADEON HD 6670

Midviki

« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2013, 02:22:48 am »

But eh... nvm.. the player won't bother with things like this anyway.And it can be twitched in the future.
ATI AMD RADEON HD 6670

Éadríc

« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2013, 09:22:49 pm »

So I just played the new version, with the random rocks. Some initial thoughts:
  • They really do make the landscape look more natural, add flavour.
  • However, their LOD switching can be quite glaring and jarring.
  • Similarly, when you approach them, and they come within 3D grass drawing distance, they are hidden by the grass rather abruptly.

Midviki

« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2013, 04:20:10 am »

I remember seeing one picture of some beach with shallow waters and a beautiful layer of rocks along for like the first 10-20 meters from where the water was hitting.
Anyway... I could not find it but I tried to find something similar.

Maybe you will get inspired for something similar in some parts of the beaches, rivers, springs...etc.

ATI AMD RADEON HD 6670

Draglide12

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2013, 09:59:29 pm »

Just remember that there will be a lot more rocks around in areas around glaciers or where glaciers have been.

KelvinNZ

• A clock that doesn't work still works twice a day!
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2013, 08:18:36 pm »

The only thing I dislike about rocks is an update a few weeks ago that made the rock texture look like this:

The ground looks nice with the Normal mapping on.But the rock texture was from before the normal maps implemented.

Can't the normal maps work on rocks and hill rocks like it does on the plain ground and not require that texture full of lines ? And I saw there is a difference of detail when you are a bit more far away, but it works only when u'r far away. You can maybe make those lines to faint away when you are getting closer and probably disappear when your close enough like 2 meters or < 1 meter.

Brano has previously mentioned that shape files will be utilized to depict certain characteristics of rock areas. This tech is expected to give different rock areas some uniqueness. I have a collection of different textures that suit this purpose, just waiting for the coding to be done to enable this to be tested.

Cheers,

K.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 08:20:22 pm by Kelvinr »
If a man who cannot count finds a four-leaf clover, is he lucky?
Pages: 1 2 [3]