Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: 1 Year on after pre-purchase and still no "game" development :(  (Read 42905 times)

zuluknob

Re: 1 Year on after pre-purchase and still no "game" development :(
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2013, 10:05:06 pm »

Did you mentioned what game you want?

zombie dayz type game
?

yes...anteworld. as described by the devs ages ago and stated how many times in this thread. the zombie dayz type game is just an additional idea for far in the future like all the other suggestions.
Windows 10 Pro
Amd fx-8350
2x Amd r9 280x
16gig ram
Hisense 58" 4k3D TV
blah blah blah...

zuluknob

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2013, 10:08:06 pm »

in case you missed it... http://www.outerra.com/game.html
Windows 10 Pro
Amd fx-8350
2x Amd r9 280x
16gig ram
Hisense 58" 4k3D TV
blah blah blah...

deathevor

• User
    • Sk-Films
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2013, 11:17:13 pm »

earth re-colonization game, where players start to build on our home planet again
while the players themselves would provide the content to liven up the world
Done
Offline sandbox mode allowing to freely explore and modify the environment
Done
Online mode with resource mining and a basic economy, cities, transport networks and trade
Basically a multilayer with a bit of mining,trading logic. Already requested.
Personally, I'm waiting for Multilayer as well.
AI or scheduled traffic will be visible
Would be nice to see at some point.
Based on recent posts, I hope the trains will be implemented.

But! that are plans for full game.
We all purchased Alpha:
Initial alpha version will focus around the exploration, driving and flying a limited number of vehicles. These should cover major vehicle types, with more vehicles coming later also perhaps from the community.

I think, now, we have more than was offered at first place. (Road Editor, Importer, Sandbox, Craters (soon))

VFx Artist/Supervisor, Private Pilot - www.sk-films.com

zuluknob

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2013, 11:47:04 am »

your missing the point. us few people who see the potential haven't made them enough money to employ more people. to get large amounts of customers they need a game to play. aimlessly driving/flying placing roads and importing models with no point other than testing is not really a game. We actually pre-purchased the full game which consisted of early access to the alpha and later versions of the full game. One of the things that made the difference between the demo and alpha was that you could spawn a player char by pressing 8(admittedly it was pants and just slid round the land and collided horribly with the terrain), that appears to have been removed. Off hand the only thing i can think of that has been added in the last year as far as gameplay has been the addition of keyboard controls.

Within a few years i can see that a fair sized chunk of the engine will need to be re-written as raymarching engines will start to take off. At least one (brigade 2) is near realtime on a 2x gtx470 (i would guess that a titan can do it fine without all the unrenderd noise) Yes i know it's not the same type of engine as outerra, it's just a look at one thing that is coming. another is infinity universe, he is preparing to do a kickstarter this year of a combat game based on his engine to get funding for the full thing. 2 year old video but...

Now the addition of craters on the one hand sounds like fun(most people like blowing stuff up) but on the other hand it's just another unnecessary addition like the rocks were as far as the game they described goes, though it is a bit like digging... My concern is that they are now starting to spend to much time on the skin when there are major bones missing. If they can put a game into the engine as it is they will get a nice chunk of cash...far more than they seemingly are getting from a flight sim company. In the long term if they can make the engine they want to, they stand a good chance of making a nice chunk of cash but in the short term a game (if it sells)will bring in far far more. Thats how companied like epic and crytek have been able to fund their engine development in the first place.
Windows 10 Pro
Amd fx-8350
2x Amd r9 280x
16gig ram
Hisense 58" 4k3D TV
blah blah blah...

ChookWantan

• They call me Chook.
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2013, 12:52:01 pm »

Did you even read Cameni's response? The FP mode was taken out because a BETTER version is coming within the week. Not to mention the biome work and numerous other things these guys have on their plates.

You are asking for some gameplay to be implemented, but you don't seem to realize that they are trying. You want more gameplay to bring in more money to get more gameplay, which first requires more money. It's a catch-22.

The only difference between you and most people on this forum, is that you don't seem to have any patience.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2013, 01:04:43 pm »

If they can put a game into the engine as it is they will get a nice chunk of cash...far more than they seemingly are getting from a flight sim company.
Um ... who said anything about a flight sim company?
Making a flight simulator right now would be an extremely risky business. Technically the market is a niche, requires a high detail and a lot of content, and despite the removal of MS from the contenders it's a tough competition.

Now you are absolutely right about the income from the alpha preorders being insufficient for our growth. But OT comes with a unique set of features (unique in the sense of seeing them together: real data, scale, detail range, deformations), and as such it's quite interesting for many "serious" application areas out there. This was always one of our directions, and it's actually the major reason why the progress in the game seems to be so slow, as we were working on lots of background stuff for projects that are being developed here (in cooperation with other companies/licensees, to be revealed when ready). Weren't it for that, we would probably have a gameplay already, since a playable game would be the only way to get the income needed for the acceleration of the development.

Now the addition of craters on the one hand sounds like fun(most people like blowing stuff up) but on the other hand it's just another unnecessary addition like the rocks were as far as the game they described goes, though it is a bit like digging... My concern is that they are now starting to spend to much time on the skin when there are major bones missing.
The game was devised to show the unique features (unique in the context), real-time terrain deformation is definitely one of them, so it's supposed to play a role in the game.

The only difference between you and most people on this forum, is that you don't seem to have any patience.
Actually, zuluknob has valid points and a fairly healthy (realistic) view of the matter, constrained only by incomplete information. As a user I would be concerned myself, asking questions about how this project means to survive and develop. I'd be expecting by now a lot more activity in getting more users/players in, knowing that there needs to be some critical mass in order to sustain the development, and that the current rate and awareness about OT/Anteworld isn't nearly enough.

Perhaps the only difference would be that I'd instead start wondering what's going on behind the scenes ;)

zuluknob

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2013, 01:46:49 pm »

Someone else mentioned the filght sim/military angle and i thought that it had already been talked about elsewhere on the board.

Windows 10 Pro
Amd fx-8350
2x Amd r9 280x
16gig ram
Hisense 58" 4k3D TV
blah blah blah...

Foxiol

• Gamer
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2013, 07:21:12 pm »

Just be patient. I post a little here but I´m here since 2011 and come here to check the web every week, try Outerra to see if it has really cool updates, etc.

This is way too big and ambitious, and just think twice at what they are trying to achieve here: a graphics engine capable of represent an entire planet (in real size) with an ecosystem, destructible environments, wildlife, physics capable of doing everything you can think of, weather and day/night cycles, you can even go to space and in the future (if I am not wrong) even go to the Moon or other planets...

All that with great detail, quality and fidelity only "limited" by their talent and from what it is possible to make in OpenGL and thank god not because of not having enough time. It will be impossible to do this with a limit.

Be patient man. How much you paid for this? You are going to get a great and huge game for that once it finished. ;)

Also yes, you are right in what others do, how gaming is evolving and developers looking at others developers to "stole" ideas and make it possible "faster"...maybe that is true but you won´t get what Brano (Cameni) and the rest of the guys who are working on this are going to achieve once finished.

You are going to enjoy those craters soon as the rest of us here. That is something at least...is cool to see how this is evolving and how step by step we can do things that you can´t in other games or engines.   

atazs

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2013, 07:32:10 pm »

Have to agree here tough i understand that its not easy work. I think that multiplayer should become a bigger priority even in the engine's current form. Just being able to move around in 1st person and in vehicles with others or build what we can do right now would be enough. Also you said that kickstarter is not an option. Why not? Ive seen several more established games trying kickstarter and gaining money. That would get rid of the "catch 22" situation.

I almost couldn't disagree more, sorry...

Also, I think we're still talking 2 people here......
Its been several years tough. 2 people working on an amibitious engine is just not enough. I am sure there are people who'd volunteer to work on this.
Just be patient. I post a little here but I´m here since 2011 and come here to check the web every week, try Outerra to see if it has really cool updates, etc.

This is way too big and ambitious, and just think twice at what they are trying to achieve here: a graphics engine capable of represent an entire planet (in real size) with an ecosystem, destructible environments, wildlife, physics capable of doing everything you can think of, weather and day/night cycles, you can even go to space and in the future (if I am not wrong) even go to the Moon or other planets...

All that with great detail, quality and fidelity only "limited" by their talent and from what it is possible to make in OpenGL and thank god not because of not having enough time. It will be impossible to do this with a limit.

Be patient man. How much you paid for this? You are going to get a great and huge game for that once it finished. ;)

Also yes, you are right in what others do, how gaming is evolving and developers looking at others developers to "stole" ideas and make it possible "faster"...maybe that is true but you won´t get what Brano (Cameni) and the rest of the guys who are working on this are going to achieve once finished.

You are going to enjoy those craters soon as the rest of us here. That is something at least...is cool to see how this is evolving and how step by step we can do things that you can´t in other games or engines.
I am here since 2010. What you are saying is true but by the time this gets done at this pace there will be several other better games. Take a look at infinity. Its been in development for god knows how long. 7-8 years? And there is hardly anything other than an engine. Same thing applies here. Then what happens? A game called Star Citizen came along, did a kickstarter, gained 10 million and began working on its own space game that looks better and promises more things. Now that has been done in a course of a few months and is also being developed by a bigger team and also promises alpha in late 2013 while infinity continues to being developed with no alpha or anything in sight. So the hype for infinity died down and everyone moved onto Star Citizen with only the hard core fans staying behind waiting, and waiting for 8 years now. Now this is just an example but the same thing could happen here.

Now dont get me wrong i am not being impatient here, i can wait, but what i am saying is that by the time this gets anywhere near what is promised if it continues at this pace, there will be better engines or games like this. A good way to do something about all this would be starting to talk to companies or people who would be interested in developing a game on this engine seperately so that a game and the engine could be developed at the same time.

Companies like maybe bohemia interactive? Valve? Or other inde developers.  I dont know really i am just trying to help because i honestly dont want this to be overwhelmed by other games/engines.

As for right now: someone mentioned that an improved first person and craters are coming next week. Is that true or was it an april's fool?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 08:02:13 pm by atazs »

zuluknob

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2013, 10:51:15 pm »

I will probably play with the craters for 30 mins or so then go carry on betatesting games in my list like planet explorers, darkout, path of exile, simcity(:P) and hopefully the alpha of godus.

Part of the reason for the success of star citizen was the hour long presentation @ gdc 2012 chris did with some nice concept footage to show everyone, that and its a chris "wing commander" roberts game. thats why i kickstarted for the freelancer :D while i didn't bother with the elite kickstarter. chris was much more on the ball with letting the customers know where their money was going and how much we would be involved with the game (like these guys do) while david's kickstarter was poor and i couldn't see where the money was being spent.

I don't think they can do kickstarter from their country yet...saying that though star citizen made 2 million on kickstarter and 6 million on their own site.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 11:08:57 pm by zuluknob »
Windows 10 Pro
Amd fx-8350
2x Amd r9 280x
16gig ram
Hisense 58" 4k3D TV
blah blah blah...

SpaceFlight

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2013, 05:31:47 am »

I don't know if "Star Citizen" is comparable to Outerra or Infinity (I-Novae), since it is using CryEngine 3, so they perhaps don't have to work as much on the tech itself as is the case here and with I-Novae.
Also, I don't think travel between planets and the landing part, will be seamless in "Star Citizen", which does not mean it is going to be a bad game, but I guess there are engine limitations with Cryengine in this regard, which make these procedural engines (Outerra, I-Novae) all the more interesting.
I would like to think there is a lot of pioneering and experimentation with regard to the tech going on here.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 09:56:44 am by SpaceFlight »
"You see, Killbots have a preset kill limit. Knowing their weakness, I sent wave after wave of my own men at them, until they reached their limit and shut down."
Zapp Brannigan

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2013, 06:28:39 am »

Yea that's how Kickstarter works: you must be either someone, or do a very good presentation aimed at sufficiently large audience, showing advanced concept footage. Or both, preferably. You practically must have the team booked already, because showing that you have a team skilled enough is a part of the presentation.

I didn't follow Star Citizen in depth, but from what I've read and seen initially, it's mostly a space game, not having the planetary detail level of Infinity, seamless transitions etc. I don't know, I've never been a fan of these games, but it doesn't matter since OT is somewhere else. Infinity has been interesting to me because of pushing the technological edge on the planetary front. Innovation costs a lot of time, there are many dead ends if you want to achieve something challenging. Throwing more people at it doesn't speed it up much; it can speed up only the things that are paralellizable, like the content creation. And promises and concept art aren't the same thing as the delivery. It will still take SC time to get anywhere, unless it's supposed to be just a technologically mediocre stuff, another not-so-empty space MMO game. These things aren't of comparable experience, however much you want to convince yourself. Good luck creating planets even with detail range less than Infinity's (which is less than OT's) in Cryengine.

Maybe the big companies doing everything in secrecy are right, because people routinely underestimate the amount of work needed on new different approaches. But the big companies also usually recycle all the stuff and go down the beaten path too ...

Why aren't we doing the Kickstarter now:
  • The engine is not ready to showcase a game prototype. Again, we are making a new engine here, one that allows us to do things that are not normally possible if we were using an existing engine.
  • We are also utilized by our existing commercial contracts that will see engine used in various fields
    This will bring us the income that we'd otherwise have to find elsewhere, maybe via the Kickstarter but I bet it would be hard to be successful there when it's the engine that must be developed first, but most people don't care and just want a game, not realizing what it takes
  • Of course, there are also legal problems with Kickstarter here, we'd basically have to found another company out there somewhere. Which may not be a bad idea, given the situation in the EU.

There are more issues, but these are the main ones which are important for us.

zuluknob

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2013, 01:21:59 pm »

With sc the first thing we are getting our grubby mitts on is some kind of garage program where we can have a wander round inside/outside our ships and mess with parts. We are expected to get the multiplayer combat prototype at the end of the year with the final game expected the end of next year. i say final but it wont be all of it, they will be adding new contend weekly/fortnightly in the form of new star systems ect. We have been getting concept art of the main cities on earth ect so we will be able to land on planets in at least some minamal way. The game will also be able to be run on private servers so will be moddable to do anything that cryengine 3 can do(crytek/cloud impereium would be stupid if they aren't looking at doing a full planetary engine). If the mod is good enough they will consider putting it into the main game. Given chris' past games it should turn out very good, especially as he hasnt got some suits controling the money.

Elite dangerous will "probably" have a full planetary add on as a dlc if the game sells well.
Windows 10 Pro
Amd fx-8350
2x Amd r9 280x
16gig ram
Hisense 58" 4k3D TV
blah blah blah...

atazs

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2013, 01:28:13 pm »

I wasnt comparing Star Citizen to outerra or anything. What i was saying is that because infinity took so much time to make(and its still not done) a better game comes along and takes all the people away from it. Now the same thing could happen to outerra. A different game that is going to be like this or uses an engine like this could come along and take all the people away.

Leanier

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2013, 12:08:59 pm »

I haven't posted on the forum yet, but I have been following this for a few months.  While I have noticed that development is slow (understandable due to the scope and team size), There is actually a lot of content already in the game that would be fun for more of a "game" type of experience.

As others have said, I think a huge leap in allowing it to be a "game" would be multiplayer.  If this was added (even in only a LAN state) it would make it a lot more fun to build a town/city with friends, or even just exploring/flying together.

That said, if it were me developing it, I think that a simple form of multiplayer would be a high priority now.  Not worrying about cheating or griefing yet, just something for a few friends to play with.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5