Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Suggestion for Occulus Rift  (Read 39262 times)

WormSlayer

• Half-Life VR
Re: Suggestion for Occulus Rift
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2013, 09:18:05 pm »

@Steve.Wilson: They supply a couple of different lenses you can swap out for more or less near-sighted users.

@cameni: If you need any help testing that early integration, I have a Rift devkit here XD

zaelu

• free-track user
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2013, 03:34:16 am »

I can't wait for headtracking to be implemented in Outerra... I have no nausea effects... long time freetrack user here :P .

@Cameni. What is the resolution in Oculus Rift? Is it true the screen looks to be very close to eyes?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2013, 05:37:04 am »

The resolution of the developer kit is 640x800 per eye, which is quite low for the 90° horizontal FOV. The first consumer version is supposed to have 960x1080, but I can't wait the day when a retina-like display is used for it.

The screen - if you are talking how close it is physically - the lens are relatively close to the eyes, but there are 2 more lenses included that should allow for use with glasses.

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2013, 06:27:25 am »

... but I can't wait the day when a retina-like display is used for it.

... contact lens-displays going to be a great deal indeed. Imagine a industrial work-space imaging tech. like that, spec.-pilot external camera feed for precise steady work or medical/mechatronic device control in places way beyond hands reach ... or just a mobile navigation display-tool. Would just need to get the imaging-data wirelessly and an internal bio-induced power source. (doe, making it so small and low-energy consuming - induced el. would be doing too, but what a waste of worlds brilliant minds that way would be  ;D). Maybe just based on altering of already entering light trough it (just like a lot of miniature rainbow glass-triangles (dont know the technical therm for those in ENG) changing theyr angles properly - just, in reality as a molecule-based technology, changing their alignment trough small voltage change as the LCDs doing it --- maybe even recrystallizing at a proper angle (those volumes are very small, shouldnt be a much more problem then) ... an well, there are intra-retinal visualization technologies for blind people, getting it brain/nerve connected, maybe some way of controlling some stuff whyte a two way feed would be able further in neural-sciences development ...  ... maybe would be nice to implement it to your antenworld vision story. Just think, captain has to go off-bridge, still hawing the live-feed anywhere he goes, maintaining control. A real and usable future-tech (i really think that could be developed in a decade for the first gen.) as it can be.

P.S.: We definitely need this in any window in the 3. decade of  21s century !!!! There you have that Sony transparent OLED glass tech going to be wimped by the more physics-chemistry appealing way !! ;) ;)  :D

P.P.S.: Shouldn't the sun be reflected twice too, or do the eyes have an duplicate-way of processing very bright light sources to both images in brains for ocullus-like systems ? (the offset cross section seems to be wide enough to be fitted there)   ... and i just mentioned how frequently you hear a wolf in the woods. :D
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 06:47:26 am by PytonPago »
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

rocketpanda

• VR, FPS, Sim and virtual world exploration
    • Rocketpanda blog
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2013, 11:42:09 am »

@cameni Yep I've got a Rift dev kit and the alpha of Anteworld if you need any help testing / feedback!

zaelu

• free-track user
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2013, 01:57:56 pm »

The screen - if you are talking how close it is physically - the lens are relatively close to the eyes, but there are 2 more lenses included that should allow for use with glasses.

I was meaning the sensation of the "visible" screen. They say it looks very close and you forget about boundaries but on Youtube you can't see that :) .

You mean "retina" as in high resolution screens of some Apple products?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2013, 03:53:37 pm »

The visible screen is projected at infinity, it doesn't feel close at all.
Yes, I meant resolution like of those retina displays :)

Btw I corrected the FOV issue (was too low) and tested the MiG with the Oculus - it's fantastic. Completely forgot about the low resolution, the immersion compensates for that. I haven't got the tracker working yet, and there are still some minor issues in the rendering.

zaelu

• free-track user
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2013, 03:59:28 am »

So basically the sensation is the same as with other VR devices? That you are looking at a screen some distance away from you... say few meters away?

I was hoping that those lenses to make it feel like you are near of a glass wall from an aquarium or something similar.

I wait for your tracker implementation :D . I tried using freetrack as a mouse and it works but has no centering point and drifts. I hope the tracker interface for Oculus will support also freetrack/facetracknoir/TIR.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2013, 04:36:59 am »

I haven't tried other VR devices, but there's no "screen at a distance" effect here. It really feels as if you were in the world, just wearing some ski-glasses that limit your field of view a bit, compared to the normal vision, but otherwise it feels real. That's what makes it great, immerses you in, despite the low resolution.

zaelu

• free-track user
« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2013, 02:09:16 pm »

That is so great to hear! (read :) )

The other VR solutions just gave a sensation of a now "normal" 3D Television set at a distance... no immersion.

Jagerbomber

« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2013, 05:11:24 pm »

inb4 "You die in Outerra, you die for real."  ;D
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2013, 06:16:59 pm »

Dat feeling ...

Jagerbomber

« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2013, 06:26:51 pm »

NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED
 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

adriaan

« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2013, 07:42:28 pm »

shut up and take my money

Malfate

« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2013, 01:00:42 am »

well cameni, you got my money! Mainly cause of rift support. Although the game is progressing and looks quite amazing and the game elements are coming along. Do you think we will be seeing any type of online anytime soon? I would love to do more sandboxing with some basic primitives in an online mode (even if it is rather basic limited number of players). Multiplayer mincraft is what makes the game minecraft. i think even basic sharing/online experience would convince my many people to buy... then everything else usually comes along
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 01:17:22 am by Malfate »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5