Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Yamaha YZF-R1  (Read 19462 times)

giucam

• It's an ugly pile of bones... like me.
Yamaha YZF-R1
« on: June 11, 2013, 04:23:09 pm »

After many days of working on it i decided to release an early version of the first bike for Outerra :)

Gallery

The script uses a PID controller (PD only actually, i'm not using the I yet) to steer the handlebars and keep the bike balance. It works quite good below 50-60 km/h, going over it may induce an oscillation which makes the bike fall, and which i can't get rid of.
When you spawn it you have a couple of seconds to make it run before it falls, by which you can recover only by resetting it (Alt+r). There's no center/kick-stand. :)

It has no sound, nor it has any real motor code, it just applies a constant force. My focus for now is only on the balance.

Download
ResidualVM 0.1.1 is OUT! www.residualvm.org

M7

Re: Yamaha YZF-R1
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 04:59:01 pm »

very interesting!

Atrax

• AtraxGaming Game Shop
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 04:20:14 am »

Pretty cool, glad someone is working on bikes too. Great stuff!
will try it out :)

Thank you!

zaelu

• free-track user
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 04:40:53 am »

great!

A dirt bike would be also nice for Outerra.

bugsblake

• jedi master
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 10:24:00 pm »

thanks for the download! just wish it would stay up long enough to enjoy. i look forward to the new added features that will help this thing stay up! :)

till then im just gonna cheat and import a quad bike or 2! ;)
Intel 6 core i7 Xeon - 4930k @3.40 GHz
GTX 770 4GB X2 in SLI
Asus P9X79 Extreme MOBO
Patriot 16GB DDR3 1600MHz
SSD 250GB + SATA 500GB + SATA 1TB

Bartolomeus

• VirtualTechArt Design
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 04:02:49 am »

Awesome. Great work on the bike model, looks really nice.

Marko

Denime

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 06:22:36 pm »

Really liking this mate, I love the R1! Please make it able to go quick whilst remaining stable?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 03:48:09 pm by Denime »

giucam

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 05:06:14 am »

Well, now i've been sucked into other things, but all my tries were not successful to make it run stable at high speeds. I guess the problem is that the physics simulation treats the bike as a single body, while the physics of the front wheel and the steer alone plays a major role in making a bike stable. I've tried to emulate it in the js but it didn't change much.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 01:11:56 pm »

Yeah the wheels need to have weight, rotate and act as a gyroscope to stabilize the bike.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

giucam

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 01:42:01 pm »

Actually the gyroscopic forces are not what keep a bike upright. They help, but they are an order of magnitude inferior to the gravity and the centrifugal force.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2013, 01:56:20 am »

Have you found a doc describing the forces? Maybe we could implement a constraint representing how the driver helps balancing the bike.

giucam

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2013, 10:35:00 am »

The wikipedia has a good qualitative article here .

Basically, a running bike stays upright because the driver manages to move it always below himself, by steering left or right. There are bikes more stable than others though, and that depends on the trail. A positive trail makes the front wheel steer into the lean, and helps keep the bike stable, even without a rider. A bigger trail makes a bike more stable, but also more difficult to steer. I think that is what is missing here. Currently it has 0 trail, i tried to emulate it in the js but without much success.

Another problem, i think, is that i can only set the steering value, and that will be applied the next frame. It is like pushing the handlebars of a real bike with an infinite force, and it's not much realistic. I think having a way to steer the wheel with a certain force would help.

KWUEST

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2014, 11:14:45 am »

How ever they did it back in Motor cross madness 2, was so much fun

M7

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2015, 10:31:15 am »

I want to revive this one from the dead. Back in the days , i tried to ride it with keyboard and could go past 20-30 kmh  but now i'd like to see how it drive with an xbox controller. One problem ... it's sinking upon spawning :(  I got the same thing with other older model like  bugsblake's mustang. I'd like to know what part of the js script makes models sink.

The front wheel here  seems to want to stay above ground but all the rest wants to go down.

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2015, 10:52:07 am »

id say its the tire-width ... i had to do tiny wheels for the ZU- and found out, that ya need some thick stuff wheels, if ya dont use 4 wheel configuration (even 3-wheel can be an issue when the centre of mass is at some not favorable places compared to the wheel locations).
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

Pages: [1] 2