Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Animating aircraft  (Read 7107 times)

bongodriver

Animating aircraft
« on: August 11, 2013, 05:37:16 pm »

First of all forgive me if there is already an answer on the boards but an extensive search turned nothing up.

I am making good ground in creating my own aircraft model for OT and have really got to grips with the .js and .xml files, the model imports and I can set it up as flyable, but so far I have not found anything really explaining the animations here, I originally thought all animation was handled by the .js file but soon realised there are no instructions for specific angular rotations etc but rather just simple position 1 position 2 type references, so does this mean animations are done in 3ds max? how should max be set up? are they argument based animations? in which case do we have a list of arguments? how should the keyframes be set up?

Chaoz

Re: Animating aircraft
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 06:17:29 pm »

as far as i know animations are only implemented in the js file and are only possible as angular rotation of a bone around an axis, for further information look at the mig js file, there you can see how all of the animation is handled

bongodriver

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 03:00:34 am »

thanks for the reply, on closer inspection I see you are right about the .js file, it seems it's more than just rotations as there is reference to linear movements too, frustratingly it's all done with unintuitive (for me) maths and script language, is there anything available that can explain the javascipt functions in this case?

bongodriver

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 05:28:37 am »

Woohoo......rudder and 1 gear door are animating.

angrypig

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 05:39:55 am »

I am making good ground in creating my own aircraft model for OT and have really got to grips with the .js and .xml files, the model imports and I can set it up as flyable, but so far I have not found anything really explaining the animations here, I originally thought all animation was handled by the .js file but soon realised there are no instructions for specific angular rotations etc but rather just simple position 1 position 2 type references, so does this mean animations are done in 3ds max? how should max be set up? are they argument based animations? in which case do we have a list of arguments? how should the keyframes be set up?

thanks for the reply, on closer inspection I see you are right about the .js file, it seems it's more than just rotations as there is reference to linear movements too, frustratingly it's all done with unintuitive (for me) maths and script language, is there anything available that can explain the javascipt functions in this case?

There will be an API for this in the script, it will come with the FBX importer. But you won't be able to avoid scripting entirely. Maybe the scripting is harder way how to do stuff but it's much more flexible.

bongodriver

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 05:50:43 am »

OK thanks angrypig, is there some sort of wiki explaining the scripting anywhere?

angrypig

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 05:53:45 am »

here is something about it, but if you are missing things feel free to ask.

http://xtrac.outerraworld.com/trac.fcgi/wiki/aircraft

bongodriver

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 06:06:40 am »

thanks again, I am certainly going to be asking questions, since I got my Oculus rift and I have flown the Mig29 in OT I have become obsessed  :D, I am a commercial pilot in real life and an avid flight simmer/pc gamer and have made models for flight sim games, the experience of that Mig with the Oculus was mind blowing, I will never use a monitor and trackir again  :D

bongodriver

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 06:39:27 am »

just thought I'd post a snapshot of the mod I'm working on

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 11:48:09 am »

just thought I'd post a snapshot of the mod I'm working on

... what a nice flyer !
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

bagnet

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2013, 03:40:04 am »

Sorry to raise an old thread but... Is this mod done yet? it looks absolutely awesome and i need it in my install! my 3D design skills are sorely lacking so wouldn't know where to start with making it myself. My creative urges go into music lol.

I'm waiting for the commercial rift myself as i can't afford to buy it twice! i think flying that typhoon with it on may turn out to be purely wonderful! :)

bongodriver

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2013, 04:16:54 am »

It's not ready but it is a useable WIP, I am still working on the cockpit, I don't have a file sharing account to make a download, I'd be happy to let people have a look.