Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: Clouds - a peek at the work in progress  (Read 115917 times)

HiFlyer

Re: Clouds - a peek at the work in progress
« Reply #105 on: October 07, 2014, 04:29:38 pm »

Hopefully in short time. The preview version was originally used in a simulator prototype as a proof of concept, but the simulator was ground based and didn't need the full scale rendering modes for the clouds, so we took some shortcuts to save time.

Recently I started working on it again, this time also incorporating a global cloud density map and addressing some of the problematic points of the prototype. When there's something presentable I'll surely post it here.

Great! There was a request for a gliding video, but essentially way up high, a glider appears almost motionless at high Frame rates, and it would be much better to do things like that with some clouds gliding by to give a sense of motion/speed.  8)
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #106 on: October 08, 2014, 10:46:40 am »

Hopefully in short time. The preview version was originally used in a simulator prototype as a proof of concept, but the simulator was ground based and didn't need the full scale rendering modes for the clouds, so we took some shortcuts to save time.

Recently I started working on it again, this time also incorporating a global cloud density map and addressing some of the problematic points of the prototype. When there's something presentable I'll surely post it here.

Great news :)
Good luck with it, no doubt it must be fairly complex to get everything working fine considering your objectives !

I'm particularly interested in how they look from high altitude and long distance.  :)

There is this old shot from the FMX presentation page, in case you didn't see it already :

aWac9

« Reply #107 on: November 26, 2014, 03:25:02 pm »

Time-Lapses outerra

see 720pHD

;)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 03:28:52 pm by aWac9 »

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #108 on: January 15, 2015, 02:02:00 pm »

WIP clouds time lapse video with static camera above the clouds.

This is using a global cloud density map with resolution around 5km, which is driving the fractal cloud generator. Both the speed of clouds and dynamics of shape change are adjustable, although the wind speed is global and blowing always to the west.

Jagerbomber

« Reply #109 on: January 15, 2015, 02:24:25 pm »

It'd be cool if you got some wind direction effects on the clouds other than just all moving entirely at the same speed in a general direction.  Whispy clouds, cirrus clouds and whatnot.  (I don't exactly know what to call them).
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

M7

« Reply #110 on: January 15, 2015, 02:53:40 pm »

It's looking really good from that point of view. I presume clouds dont cast shadows yet, will they in future update?

John514

• Certified TARDIS driver.
« Reply #111 on: January 15, 2015, 03:26:16 pm »

Awesome! Good to see some major progress being made. We`re all about eye candy it seems! :P
How complex are the cloud formations that can be made? Or is it just a layer of clouds at a certain altitude?
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling

Note: I do not claim to know everything.
I just like to help people around the forum.

Steve.Wilson

• Home Cockpit Builder
« Reply #112 on: January 15, 2015, 03:52:56 pm »

I have a hunch that the resources used here might be of use, Cameni:  https://www.windyty.com/?surface,wind,now,42.064,-87.992,4

Foxiol

• Gamer
« Reply #113 on: January 15, 2015, 08:19:32 pm »

This is incredible. Hands down...developer of the year...heck, of the decade, right here ladies and gentlemen. ;)

Abc94

« Reply #114 on: January 16, 2015, 01:04:46 am »

Brano, those clouds look awesome! Are you using 4D noise to generate them?

I have a hunch that the resources used here might be of use, Cameni:  https://www.windyty.com/?surface,wind,now,42.064,-87.992,4

Very, very cool. Lots of information there and it looks fantastic!  8)
"It costs over $400 000 to play for 12 seconds."     Heavy Weapons Guy on Outerra demo.

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
« Reply #115 on: January 16, 2015, 01:49:25 am »

This is beautiful! I really mean it!

The engine, as is now, is incredible for me... And when this clouds arrive...

Where is another engine that give you an entire planet out of the box to explore?
"A man who is contented with what he has done, will never become famous for what he will do".

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #116 on: January 16, 2015, 03:19:08 am »

It's looking really good from that point of view. I presume clouds dont cast shadows yet, will they in future update?

Not yet, but some shading will have to be done even with shadows off, because terrain lighting is wrong with overcast.

It should be not only under shadow, but also the atmospheric scattering should lose bluish tones, unless the sun is actually below the clouds. Also the ambient lighting now must be different for stuff under and above the clouds.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #117 on: January 16, 2015, 03:27:51 am »

How complex are the cloud formations that can be made? Or is it just a layer of clouds at a certain altitude?

Right now it's just a single layer. High altitude clouds will be in other (simpler) ones. Some other clouds will be probably created on top of this layer but using a different technique. The used fractal gives it somehow unified look, so I would like to use some predefined patterns broken by fractals in the future, but there's a problem how to map these onto a spherical world.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #118 on: January 16, 2015, 03:51:13 am »

Yea that would be ideal as one of possible weather drivers. Right now we are using a single 8k*4k texture with cloud densities (~5km res), and rotating it. From weather plugins we would need at least two such maps, each representing a snapshot at different time. The density will be interpolated between them; meanwhile the plugin would prepare the next one. This would provide weather that predeterminedly lags behind the real one.

Another option, that also allows weather modification, is to simulate weather cells and precipitation transfers, winds, sources and sinks.

Levi

• Outerra Mods Site!
« Reply #119 on: January 16, 2015, 09:38:10 am »

Absolutely stunning!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10