Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Dyson sphere  (Read 15639 times)

pico

• http://
Dyson sphere
« on: December 30, 2010, 04:16:07 pm »

Is it possible to invert the hole Planet and u are then inside the Globe? Like a "Dyson Sphere".
Just for Fun.   ;)

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
Dyson sphere
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 04:45:56 pm »

Heh, holy cow, I couldn't imagine and Dyson Sphere version of Outerra.  It would take forever to get to the other side.

Would be an interesting study though :)
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Dyson sphere
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 05:39:52 pm »

There was one who wanted to do Agartha, a concave world inside earth with one massive light source in the center.

It is possible, but it would need a different atmospheric model. I don't know how is the atmosphere supposed to work in a Dyson Sphere though .. what's holding it on the surface?

C. Shawn Smith

Dyson sphere
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 06:00:13 pm »

A Dyson Sphere uses Centripetal Acceleration to hold the atmosphere to the surface.  It spins at a very particular rate, in order that the acceleration gives the inhabitants a 1-g gravity.  The sphere is roughly the diameter of the Earth's orbital distance, so the amount of land to be simulated would almost be obscene :).

But the "original" Dyson Sphere wasn't a perfect solid.  It was designed more or less as smaller orbiting bodies in a shell around the sun.  The concept eventually was misinterpreted to be a solid sphere, created by canabalizing all the material of the other planets in the system.

Tracy Dyson (from the wondrous image thread in the Off-Topic forum) is the daughter-in-law of Freeman Dyson, who first postulated the concept.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyson_sphere

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Dyson sphere
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 06:18:49 pm »

I understand that Dyson Ring uses the centripetal force, but I don't know how it could work on a whole sphere. And it would be quite unstable.

Yes, I see wikipedia says that as well.

OGREMAN

Dyson sphere
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 06:19:55 pm »

Quote from: cameni
There was one who wanted to do Agartha, a concave world inside earth with one massive light source in the center.

It is possible, but it would need a different atmospheric model. I don't know how is the atmosphere supposed to work in a Dyson Sphere though .. what's holding it on the surface?

The SciFi Author, Ian.M.Banks, wrote of a type of world called a "shell world" it was entirely artificial, constructed in a series of concentric spere's each having its atmosphere trapped in place by the physical barrier of the next outermost sphere. Light was captured on the outermost surface and relayed by a defuse lighting system built into the underside of each next shell this was indestinguishable from a conventional planetry (surface) atmosphere. The main givaway as to the strange nature of the planet was that on each shell there was always evenly spread massive towers that rose from the surface and streched out of sight into the high atmosphere (supporting the next shell).
The attraction of this kind of planetry construction was its ruthless efficiency, a single planet sized sphere would house the equivilent land surface and population of perhaps 10-15 planets. Gravitational and magnetic fields were as normal because the core of the manufactured shell world was Iron providing both mass for gravity and the all important magnetoshpere to protect from deadly radiation.

The same author described Dyson Ring worlds which were NOT spherical but shaped as a hoop or band, much like a plain ring, the "ring world" would generate gravity and atmospheric inertia (coreorlis effect) by rotation. Its axis would be offset to the position of the nearest sun so that there were seasons, sunrise and sunsets.
`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves  Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:All mimsy were the borogoves,
  And the mome raths outgrabe.
\"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!  The jaws that bite, the claws that catch! Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun;  The frumious Bandersnatch!\"

C. Shawn Smith

Dyson sphere
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 06:40:03 pm »

I think the basic idea was only the equatorial regions (equatorial here meaning the space where the centripetal acceleration would be the most pronounced) would ultimately be habitable (and probably only about 20% to 30% of the equatorial regions).  Gravity alone would be almost non-existent at the poles.  I think that's why Larry Niven's Ringworld series was so popular.  It took out the worst scientific flaws of the misinterpreted thought experiment, and left only what was scientifically sound.  Niven even allowed for immense walls around the edges of the ring to help contain the atmosphere within the ring itself.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Dyson sphere
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2010, 06:22:13 am »

Yeah, well. So much for the sphere :)

u3z05en

Dyson sphere
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010, 07:42:40 pm »

Am I misunderstanding this or are we talking about a Halo ring? If not, how cool would a halo ring be added to the existing Outerra world. As in Halo the game...

Apologies if off topic.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Dyson sphere
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2011, 03:35:53 am »

Yes, Halo ring is a Dyson shell. While it's possible to make one here, it won't be anytime soon.

pico

• http://
Dyson sphere
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2011, 05:05:56 am »

This Video is a good Example for a little Ringworld.  :)