Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: No Man's Sky  (Read 14983 times)

Jagerbomber

No Man's Sky
« on: December 07, 2013, 09:49:35 pm »

And because I know someone is gonna post it anyways...  ::)
http://www.polygon.com/2013/12/7/5186774/exploration-sim-no-mans-sky-coming-from-hello-games

We all knew randomly/procedurally generated planets and space travel games were coming soon... (and this I guess technically isn't the first revealed either).
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

Abc94

Re: No Man's Sky
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 01:01:20 am »

Uh, Cameni, Angrypig, you might have to start working a little faster! :P

That's pretty impressive.  It looks like they have a lot of features implemented already, unless some of them were just faked for the video.

What do the Outerra Dev's think?
"It costs over $400 000 to play for 12 seconds."     Heavy Weapons Guy on Outerra demo.

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 03:37:11 am »

Looks pretty interesting ... ewen if im not much of a ''comic'' like stile fan. Would be interesting to see the world-sizes too (the atmosphere looked a little to small for me), but they made a nice piece of work there indeed ...  doe, im sure Antenworld will rock the scene out when it gets its turn.  ;)
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 04:32:44 am »

Um, that video did not impress me much. No look at the planet from above, a limited visibility on the terrain and the classic fog might suggest that LOD is subobtimal ...
I guess most of the excitement comes from the advertised goal.

There's I-Novae, Space engine; Elite fans trusting that it will do all that's promised here as well. While it's true that among the games and engines these brethren are closer to us than anything else, we also stand apart from them. There's a difference between generating random worlds and visualizing existing data augmented by procedural data.
We aren't focusing on millions of randomly generated planets in compressed infinite space, and consequently we had to (and still have to) solve a different set of problems related to the use of real-world data efficiently. A connected issue that's surely not going to be solved above, because it's a big technical complication that would gain little - floating point resolution when generating the planets. To avoid it, the planets are comparatively small, e.g. the ratio between the planet's radius and say the length of the grass is orders of magnitude smaller than what we have to support to have a realistically sized planet Earth. You'd see it by rising up and starting to see the planet's curvature way earlier than on a realistically sized planet. That is if there were such views here, to me it seems they were avoided because of other not-so-nice artifacts.

Our target audience is more on the simulator side of the gaming spectrum. And the military doesn't want to train on an artificial pink planet either; getting them the real world is essential. And keeping the realistic scale and performance is a challenge that eats a lot our time.

But I can see OT may have problems selling to general gamers after all these. It's apparently very easy to advertise the game using infinite universe, planets etc, and for some reason this stuff is popular in the western culture. It will be harder to differentiate it for people who don't immediately appreciate the non-selfsimilarity of the planets, real sizes ...

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 06:29:52 am »

But I can see OT may have problems selling to general gamers after all these. It's apparently very easy to advertise the game using infinite universe, planets etc, and for some reason this stuff is popular in the western culture. It will be harder to differentiate it for people who don't immediately appreciate the non-selfsimilarity of the planets, real sizes ...

... i would not underestimate the numbers of ''reality''-fans ... they hawent been knowing OT whyte its posabilityes yet in all their numbers. Let us just wait till some wehicles can do stuff, blow up stuff, deform stuff, build stuff, entrench itself in the ground and bore some mountaintop holes ... you no - the OMG impression stuff. ;)
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

foxfiles

• Reality is merely an illusion
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 12:26:07 pm »

Our target audience is more on the simulator side of the gaming spectrum. And the military doesn't want to train on an artificial pink planet either; getting them the real world is essential. And keeping the realistic scale and performance is a challenge that eats a lot our time.

I do agree totally, please keep on focusing on THESE targets, there are many big & serious potential applications for your technology.
Please do not depreciate it !
"" He who can do the most can do the least ""
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - A. Einstein

Steve.Wilson

• Home Cockpit Builder
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 03:11:31 pm »

This is my simulator, this is my game.

One is for flying, one is for fun.

Or something like that....   :D

HiFlyer

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 09:18:58 pm »

They are really moving forward fast on this!

Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

Jagerbomber

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2016, 08:36:56 pm »

I'll tell you a funny story about PC. I was here late yesterday, and I had to take a break and do an interview with Playboy (!) - and the guy was like "what are you working on when you go back downstairs?" and I was like "compatibility for ATI opengl drivers", and he said "ummm.... could you make something up. That sounds pretty nerdy". I always knew I wasn't Playboy article material :)
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

DenisJ

• Кусь
    • VK Community
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2016, 04:24:47 pm »

Great video discussing the history of NMS reveal and the concept of "desperation genre" (21:15). This discussion can be related to Outerra; maybe not the hype part since simulator fans are generally more capable of setting realistic expectations for products of such scale (I could be wrong...), but the tendency of our imagination to fill blanks of missing information to visualize the perfect game. We are still a long run from a finished engine, and more so a game, but after watching this video I really started to appreciate the fact that Outerra devs don't over-promise us the stuff that is beyond of the scope that could ever be done by anyone.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 10:23:57 pm by DenisJ »

Jagerbomber

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2016, 09:48:00 pm »

I was gonna watch it tonight.

I've been a gamer for a long time so I try to keep off the hype.  I know what's closer to the reality of how a game will be.  I've been following this game closely since the reveal and of course have been playing it since it came out on PC on Friday.  At the pace I've been playing it at, I haven't actually gotten very far, but what I've played is about what I've expected.  There are some glaring and annoying issues, but I'm happy with the possible potential that it has for updates in the future.

Gonna see how reasonable TB is in the video.  Filling in the blanks can make something seem better, or in the case of games, more fun than it is/would be in reality.  That's where people get real excited about it.

Again, I haven't watched it yet, but I wish that maybe he had held off until after the coming patch (or patches), but I don't know if he even brings it up in this one.

Edit: Still haven't watched it yet, but he tweeted more about NMS today and it was not good....  =|

I'm still playin'.  It's gotta be your game...  Other people won't understand it.  Now, if he does the usual, and it's a quiet week, he's gonna spend the next couple weeks bashing it....
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 11:17:41 pm by Jagerbomber »

Jagerbomber

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2016, 12:44:24 pm »

Yeah, he got too harsh about it... I was really hoping he would just go with "this isn't a genre that I care for" but that just wasn't the mood he wanted to be in.... and kept going into bashing on survival games, which he's never been a fan of (and doesn't get why people like them.)

Also, hype trains are never going to stop happening.  Fanboyism is never going to stop happening.  Some people might be more cautious about buying their next game (AND ACTUALLY DO THEIR RESEARCH AND BE MORE REALISTIC ABOUT THEIR EXPECTATIONS, thank god....), but there's always more people... (to put it bluntly), there's always more idiots to make an uproar for the next big thing.  It ain't something that's going to stop outright. (until the end of the world.)

DenisJ

• Кусь
    • VK Community
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2016, 01:34:31 am »

It's totally fine to not praise the game you are dissatisfied with for legitimate and objective reasons. I don't think he was harsh at all in the video. The most critical thought he brought up is that the release state of the game is underwhelming, but he still says that he admires passion of its developers and fans.
The real bummer for people that awaited NMS is that the released game lacks A LOT of features that were shown in different presentations and trailers, the list of which can be found on Internet. That's the thing, media and people were hyped about what they were showing, but the actual product didn't quite live up to expectations.
I just hope that they will add promised content in the next months and patch out all technical issues, and then the game would be pretty neat.

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2016, 03:33:46 am »

I really started to appreciate the fact that Outerra devs don't over-promise us the stuff that is beyond of the scope that could ever be done by anyone.

Exactly. I used to be really sceptical concerning the lack of teasing and WIP shots from the team the first year I bought the full version. But looking at so many other projects spending so much time and efforts selling their product rather than making it, orienting their communication towards what the users want, even if they are not really sure they can do it.

About No Man's Sky, I had the opportunity to play it with a friend who bought it just after the release on PC. Technical issues aside, it's really an interesting game, always feel like they are an inch away of good game design decisions but throw them away because they were afraid the players may get lost/get frustrated/don't understand. Saw an interview of Sean Murray explaining they removed planet rotation because playtesters didn't understood why the time to travel to a location on an other planet was increasing, even if they were not moving. There is a ton of stuff they put between you and the game all the time, between the constant need to recharge systems by switching to the UI, the constant warnings of the life support (even at 75% full!), reducing all the possible locations to a single purpose only, streamlining all the experience like if it was the ultimate Ubisoft game !

They tried to make sure you could never get stuck on a planet, there is always a way to get the resources you need, so they added traders post everywhere. It's weird because if they really had choose to make it a real survival experience, the game could have been more balanced and oriented towards it's biggest strong points: the planets, when you are at ground level. Not being able to get something could have been solved in a simple way: activate a distress beacon, a ship will arrive in a few days, you have to find a way to survive meanwhile, using the flora and the characteristic of the planet. Every experience different.

But the gameplay is so disconnected from the universe it's just frustrating for me. My friend said it was weird to find upgrades not because it was useful, but because he just wanted to have enough gear to explore systems without having to grind stuff every time. Basically, he wanted to get rid of the gameplay to play the game.
Hopefully, they will solve the technical issues and start reworking the game, now they are more comfortable after this release. Drama and pressure will go away, and they may be able to finally give the game the depth it deserve, using it's strong points. The planetary rendering is cluncky as hell (especially if you know OT) and there is LOD popping everywhere, even a few meters away, but it's still very unique and enjoyable when you are at ground level :)

Jagerbomber

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2016, 12:32:15 pm »

I saw that list and I've also watched it whittle down as people find things that he says it doesn't have.
Pages: [1] 2