Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Underwater scenes  (Read 52227 times)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Underwater scenes
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2011, 02:42:19 am »

Quote from: necro
Is that exponential or linear fog? I guess exponential..
Actually it's not a fog but a combination of light attenuation and in-scattering under water, both are exponential by nature.

necro

• google+ Blog
Underwater scenes
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2011, 02:59:55 am »

ok, with scattering the brightness should be physically correct. But you have forgotten the pollution-factor :P

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Underwater scenes
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2011, 03:13:06 am »

Well, in clean water the scattering effect is negligible in comparison to absorption, so it could be said the scattering always comes from the pollution :)
Most of it from organic matter.
But you are probably referring to larger particles in water - yes, that needs to be added.

There are many things still missing .. like the caustics and proper look of water surface from below. And fish :)

necro

• google+ Blog
Underwater scenes
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2011, 03:24:59 am »

hehe yah.. fishes as boids. That would be cool. But thats not in focus yet. Whats actually your next focus?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Underwater scenes
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2011, 03:33:06 am »

Water is not finished yet so I have to fix all the issues and then move on to climate data .. or something.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Underwater scenes
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2011, 03:35:57 am »

Quote from: cameni
Water is not finished yet so I have to fix all the issues and then move on to climate data .. or something.

cough... clouds

or more trees. I really liked that one tree. The only tree. Still wasn't a redwood however!
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Underwater scenes
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2011, 03:53:00 am »

Angrypig reigns over trees .. the close ones, anyway. He's still working on it, but he will need a distribution function from me, which is closely related to the climate system. And the far trees algo will have to be updated as well.

Clouds .. I'm thinking initially we'll implement some simpler clouds so that ground level gaming feels better in alpha, and later we would add a volume.

Abc94

Underwater scenes
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2011, 12:57:56 am »

By far the best looking underwater environment I have ever seen in real time!  I find it amazing that a few people can make a product that is much, much better than something that is made by thousands of people.   :cool:

BTW I thought the guy underwater at the end kind of looked like a rebel from HL2.   :P

Clouds .. I'm thinking initially we'll implement some simpler clouds so that ground level gaming feels better in alpha, and later we would add a volume.

But isn't your game going to be played mostly from a top-down perspective, aside from taking control of vehicles and exploring the world?
"It costs over $400 000 to play for 12 seconds."     Heavy Weapons Guy on Outerra demo.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Underwater scenes
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2011, 01:09:40 am »

I thought it would be mostly from a first person view, not to break the feeling of immersion. Kind of like Battlezone II style controls; we talked about HUD that would augment the "reality" player sees with design mode vectors ..

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Underwater scenes
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2011, 01:23:58 am »

I would try to avoid top down views as much as possible. Even with the road editor. I would prefer use of maps instead of no-clipping around the camera. You want to see the top of Mt. Everest? Get climbing.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Underwater scenes
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2011, 10:24:41 am »

Two additional screens from under the water - a sunken ISS ;)

Water is definitely too clear, which is partly fault of wrong attenuation of light in turbid water, but also the lighting of objects under water has to be changed, the diffuse light will have to be suppressed with depth.

And of course the shadows won't be that sharp there as well.

sniperwolfpk5

Underwater scenes
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2011, 12:11:15 pm »

Despite the small defects. The water looks awesome. It looks like under water town :P

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Underwater scenes
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2011, 05:22:05 pm »

Id rather have too clear then too murky. Besides the water in the Bahama's is very clear and blue.

SpaceFlight

Underwater scenes
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2011, 06:20:39 pm »

Quote from: ZeosPantera
Id rather have too clear then too murky. Besides the water in the Bahama's is very clear and blue.

I agree with that.
"You see, Killbots have a preset kill limit. Knowing their weakness, I sent wave after wave of my own men at them, until they reached their limit and shut down."
Zapp Brannigan

necro

• google+ Blog
Underwater scenes
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2011, 02:08:18 am »

Two additional screens from under the water - a sunken ISS ;)

Water is definitely too clear, which is partly fault of wrong attenuation of light in turbid water, but also the lighting of objects under water has to be changed, the diffuse light will have to be suppressed with depth.

And of course the shadows won't be that sharp there as well.

+ you have an additional voronoi kind of specularity on each surface depending on the deepness :O -->

but the attenuation looks more realistic than before. will you add some kind of small wobbling for the camera?

I like physical nearly correct approximations. Give them small green particles and it will look awesome.
Pages: 1 [2] 3