Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Underwater scenes  (Read 52223 times)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Underwater scenes
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2011, 02:39:25 am »

Quote from: necro
+ you have an additional voronoi kind of specularity on each surface depending on the deepness
Caustics. Yes, that would provide a better feeling of depth.

will you add some kind of small wobbling for the camera?
Probably for FPS views, but at the moment there's also no wobbling of terrain/objects under water when viewed from above.

I like physical nearly correct approximations. Give them small green particles and it will look awesome.
Those will be probably white, with color changed by attenuation in water :)

necro

• google+ Blog
Underwater scenes
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2011, 05:06:01 am »

if you want i'll build some ruins for placing them on the ground of the atlantic ocean (just an easteregg)
Probably there will be no lighting, but some one else will build a simple submarine with some spotlights :P
think about it ^^

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Underwater scenes
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2011, 06:12:34 am »

Yes, or there could be a ruin generator that will generate and place the ruins to multiple places. Still, it would be almost impossible to find. On the land with high visibility you hardly can find anything, I cannot imagine what it would be like under sea ..

necro

• google+ Blog
Underwater scenes
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2011, 07:01:49 am »

yah, you will need gps-coords ^^
but for your screenshots old ruins were damn cool.

Stargun

Underwater scenes
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2011, 02:48:38 pm »

Quote from: cameni
Yes, or there could be a ruin generator that will generate and place the ruins to multiple places. Still, it would be almost impossible to find. On the land with high visibility you hardly can find anything, I cannot imagine what it would be like under sea ..

It would be nice to be able to detect such underwater structures by telemetry from a satellite imagery. Or to be able to use boats / airplanes with dragged under surface sonar buoys to map up the underwater terrain.

Nice treasure hunt missions could be imagined. With such a big world it's really interesting to  use a multiplayer mode with like 100 ships to cover a bigger search area with sonar. The GPS coordinates are used for the approximate position only with a let's say 10 x 10 km area to be searched.

Maybe a hunt for the Loch Ness Monster?

The screenshots are beautiful as usual. :)

Diesel Smoke

Underwater scenes
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2011, 09:34:10 pm »

Come on, i want this engine. :|

razgriz 53992

Underwater scenes
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2011, 05:46:59 am »

Quote from: Diesel Smoke
Come on, i want this engine. :|

To be honest, it's really out of their control- all about when they get drivers that work from AMD.

necro

• google+ Blog
Underwater scenes
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2011, 06:30:18 am »

...or they find code issues made by themselves.. in both cases you will have to wait.

ADOGMC

Underwater scenes
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2011, 03:46:43 pm »

To begin with congratulations, great job done so far.
It's really insane and promising as work on your 3D engine. :)
Here is my question on underwater submarine.

Is your engine manages marine currents, and what influence it can have on different types of materials or objects.
Example: piece of wood, seaweed, liquid (oil), animals or humans caught in its currents.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Underwater scenes
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2011, 12:51:45 am »

Quote from: ADOGMC
Is your engine manages marine currents, and what influence it can have on different types of materials or objects.
Example: piece of wood, seaweed, liquid (oil), animals or humans caught in its currents.
No, it doesn't simulate the currents, in fact there's no physics for the water yet. First thing, after the buoyancy, will be a proper reaction to waves.

I'm really unsure about the currents, but just recently I've read that crocodiles swam the Atlantic to reach America, probably carried away by ocean currents, so there's something to it :)

Jagerbomber

Underwater scenes
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2011, 01:24:09 am »

:rolleyes:
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P
Pages: 1 2 [3]