Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Modding Q&A  (Read 10056 times)

zzz

Modding Q&A
« on: February 20, 2014, 01:48:15 pm »

Hi, I have a whole bunch of questions piling up about importing and customising.

1. How do you set the chase camera position like the FPS camera in the js file?

2. My js file is a carbon copy of the mig29 one but the engine sounds don't fade with distance. Solution?

3. Will glows be supported in the future?

4. Is there any way to view the code for the camera's weapon emitter so I can start duplicating it? Colour, projectile speed, emitter position, etc.

5. Any way to get engines working outside the atmosphere?

Thanks. Inevitably more questions will be added over time.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: Modding Q&A
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 03:20:21 pm »

1. How do you set the chase camera position like the FPS camera in the js file?
Not possible at the moment.

2. My js file is a carbon copy of the mig29 one but the engine sounds don't fade with distance. Solution?
If you provided your own ogg sound file, check if it's in mono format. Stereo is rendered for the listener by 3D sound engine from mono source emitters.

3. Will glows be supported in the future?
Yes

4. Is there any way to view the code for the camera's weapon emitter so I can start duplicating it? Colour, projectile speed, emitter position, etc.
The vehicle API will be extended to support firing parametrizable projectiles and backlash effect.

5. Any way to get engines working outside the atmosphere?
That's a question for JSBSim - not sure how to get rockets support.
In vehicles you can use extra_force to generate force vector impulses to propel stuff, but that's not yet added to aircraft, though it should be possible too.

zzz

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 06:15:49 pm »

If you provided your own ogg sound file, check if it's in mono format. Stereo is rendered for the listener by 3D sound engine from mono source emitters.

Yep, they're mono. I just tried it with the mig29 sounds and still no fade. Anything aside from ogg and js files that handles this?

That's a question for JSBSim - not sure how to get rockets support.
In vehicles you can use extra_force to generate force vector impulses to propel stuff, but that's not yet added to aircraft, though it should be possible too.

I notice that engines, gravity and camera speed stop working as soon as you leave the last visible layer of atmosphere. Is this distance a value we can edit?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 01:38:43 am »

Check the log if there are any messages regarding the sounds.

I notice that engines, gravity and camera speed stop working as soon as you leave the last visible layer of atmosphere. Is this distance a value we can edit?
That must be some effect of JSBSim stopping its simulation, there's otherwise no boundary where things work - certainly not for vehicles, which do not use JSBSim.

zzz

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 01:28:46 pm »

Check the log if there are any messages regarding the sounds.

Only the usual sound buffer ones.

angrypig

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 03:57:15 pm »

Can you tell me the altitude where it happens? It should not stop the simulation it seems to me like a bug in JSBSim library or FDM definition.

zzz

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 04:31:58 pm »

Can you tell me the altitude where it happens? It should not stop the simulation it seems to me like a bug in JSBSim library or FDM definition.

It's around 60,000m. When auto-level switches off and you can't change the camera speed.

YonnyMestampo

• Star Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 02:40:32 pm »

Hello.

Is there a way to slow down the pace of the camera speed out in the space?

I have adjusted the movement to the joystick axis instead of the keys "W A S D". At lower altitudes the camera speed can be as slow as I want.

But when I go higher and higher there is a point at which the sensitivity of the joystick axis is not enough to make the camera movement really slow, because the speed multiplier seems to be greater the higher you go.

I guess the base speed multiplier can be modified somewhere in the files of the game, but I can't find it.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 02:42:12 pm by YonnyMestampo »

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 03:28:41 pm »

Scroll wheel should adjust speed up and down
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

YonnyMestampo

• Star Citizen
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 03:51:36 pm »

Scroll wheel should adjust speed up and down

Thanks for your response.

I know the mouse wheel changes the base speed multiplier.

But what I am saying is that it only works when you are close the the ground.

If you go high enough it doesn't slow the camera down even though I go across the hole multipliers range.

I configured the movement keys in the axis of the joystick, to make the camera motion changes smooth by turning the joystick really gently, something that can't be done with the keyboard.

I am pointing the joystick to the right to move to the right and changing the speed multiplier with the mouse wheel at the same time as you can see at the left hand corner of the screen. But the speed doesn't change.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 04:17:45 pm by YonnyMestampo »

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, 04:14:27 pm »

As basic as a video as that is.. It is still amazing with that soundtrack.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

YonnyMestampo

• Star Citizen
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2014, 04:17:57 pm »

As basic as a video as that is.. It is still amazing with that soundtrack.

I think the speed multiplier works only if you are at around 110Km of altitude from the ground or lower than that.
If you go above 110Km, no matter what the multiplier is, the speed keeps raising faster and faster the higher you go up to a point where the speedometer says 2.00E6 m/s which is the top speed in straight line.

EDIT:

The speed changes only because the distance to the ground differs by a few meters, but I am changeing the speed multiplier from the smallest to the bigest, so if it would work it should change the speed by a lot more than what it does. But I am above the 110Km mark and that is what I think is the altitude where the multipliers stop working.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 04:38:32 pm by YonnyMestampo »

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2014, 02:46:48 am »

The speed multiplier works that way to make the movement in space fast while keeping the ground level speed the same when returning back to the surface. That works for people who explore some part and then want to move swiftly elsewhere.

I guess it doesn't work so well when flying around static space ships ... maybe we should add an extra UFO mode.

Planets

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2014, 10:45:44 pm »

I guess it doesn't work so well when flying around static space ships ... maybe we should add an extra UFO mode.

That would be hugely appreciated! As currently trying to get a nice photo of a spacecraft high up in orbit involves a whole lot of trial and error and sheer luck, and if you move just a bit too far, you could lose your spacecraft entirely against the vast backdrop of the planet - feels almost like Orbiter  ;D

zzz

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2014, 08:46:47 am »

Q: What in the engine's property tree does Outerra use for gravity?