Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Oculus rift DK2 is now available for pre-order  (Read 24218 times)

christibbs

Re: Oculus rift DK2 is now available for pre-order
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2014, 04:09:36 am »

any thoughts on facebook buying Oculus? Personally I don't mind, I actually think it will improve the product.

Elecman

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2014, 04:58:14 am »

I think this development is positive in the long run *if* Facebook doesn't go bust. The stock price trades higher then the entire GDP of New Zealand at the moment, which means it most likely is in a massive bubble.

But at least Oculus can now order a custom panel made to their own specifications as Palmer noted on Reddit.

SpaceFlight

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2014, 05:33:28 am »

Actually, according to Kotaku, it is the Crystal Cove.  Oh and as for the the positional tracking, I looked at the picture again and it looks like there's a black IR light panel in the top center perhaps?

Here is a link to the Occulus blog. http://www.oculusvr.com/blog/announcing-the-oculus-rift-development-kit-2-dk2/

If you scroll down a bit, you can see how the positional tracking is built into the headset.

As Elecman pointed out, the led's are hidden behind the plastic.

And this is what Mr. Luckey had to say about the camera on Reddit:

"Not a standard webcam at all, then. If someone told you that it was, they were mistaken.

I can't go into the technical details, but the camera was designed from the ground up for our motion tracking system, from the internal electronics to the 3D printed shell. A standard webcam cannot deliver high enough quality data, the closest comparison is professional-grade motion capture hardware."

About the acquisition of Oculus by Facebook, Mr. Luckey answers some questions about the possible consequences of the deal here: http://www.reddit.com/user/palmerluckey

If i need a Cr*pbook, excuse me, Facebook account to log into the Consumer Version, and i will be bombarded with ads and other useless stuff, i won't buy it. I'm a bit disappointed about this, but i guess we'll see where this goes.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 05:38:20 am by SpaceFlight »
"You see, Killbots have a preset kill limit. Knowing their weakness, I sent wave after wave of my own men at them, until they reached their limit and shut down."
Zapp Brannigan

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2014, 06:29:13 am »

Well, its still a dev-kit version. Dont think they do such stuff to normal costumers when its ready. ... the cammera talk is interesting. Would be interesting to build an home-made motion track set-up whyte some of those, hope they get to sell them separately afterwards too ...
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2014, 12:22:27 pm »

I hope the Facebook acquisition is a mere monetary one. We want to make money on your idea and have no part in its use. Please.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

SpaceFlight

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2014, 04:39:54 am »

I hope so too.
The last thing the headset would need is "The Farmville Experience", or "Candy Crush 3D".
"You see, Killbots have a preset kill limit. Knowing their weakness, I sent wave after wave of my own men at them, until they reached their limit and shut down."
Zapp Brannigan

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2014, 05:47:41 am »

I was asked about it (among the other devs) by Gamasutra editor, quoted here here: http://gamasutra.com/view/news/213947/In_the_wake_of_Oculus_Facebook_deal_game_devs_ponder_whats_next.php

Speaking of the competition, here's one that revealed itself after this: http://www.trueplayergear.com/

bongodriver

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2014, 05:56:27 am »

I think this other hardware is some sort of fake, far too coincidental the timing of its appearance.

PytonPago

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2014, 06:29:57 am »

I think this other hardware is some sort of fake, far too coincidental the timing of its appearance.

It doesnt seem to be much forward on its state anywhere aether ...

As for FB - you dont mean they do acquire Oculus, make it crash and get the tech/soft legals for cheap for their own bidding or sale for highest bidder somehow ? (or got added to the great hidden tech stash Teslas inventions disappeared for future unknowns)
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2014, 12:25:32 pm »

Well Valve is supposedly working on one but no sight of that and based on the previous valve not showing us anything mantra.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

PytonPago

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2014, 01:13:25 pm »

Well Valve is supposedly working on one but no sight of that and based on the previous valve not showing us anything mantra.

Ah Valve ... theyr saving that for HL-3 ... that comes in 2015 ... well 2018 ... 2021 ... when Russians land an manned mision on mars. So they can play the multiplayer those 3 weeks of flight.  ;)

Jagerbomber

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2014, 05:16:27 pm »

It's kind of already been stated that they aren't making it for release.  Of course, who knows really?  There was an article from someone that said that it was better than the Oculus DK1, but probably not as good as Crystal Cove/DK2.
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

KelvinNZ

• A clock that doesn't work still works twice a day!
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2014, 08:30:19 pm »

I just preordered the Dev kit 2, purely because I was bored and want to see what sort of potential this thing has. As an official nerd I suppose it is my duty to experience this first hand then blabber about it in an informative way later. So, the journey begins...
If a man who cannot count finds a four-leaf clover, is he lucky?

PytonPago

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2014, 03:24:24 pm »

http://interestingengineering.com/norwegian-army-trials-oculus-rift-to-drive-tanks/

... DAMN ! We need a good-made drivable tank pretty soon, or the Norvegans take all the fun ! :D
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 03:27:37 pm by PytonPago »

raggsokken

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2014, 10:57:53 am »

Brano, have you ordered a DK2? And when/if can we expect outerra to support it? Anteworld is one of my favorite experiences with the dk1, and i can't wait to try it out with positional tracking and increased resolution :D

Pages: 1 [2] 3