Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Texturing objects?  (Read 4562 times)

balfourcraig

Texturing objects?
« on: April 20, 2014, 10:57:15 pm »

How do I texture objects I've added?
I'm using Blender to make stuff and can do colours via the materials thing in blender (like this house: http://i.imgur.com/Wi7HBcB.jpg) but textures don't work. I get a series of errors when I try and add a texture, most seem to be about .dds files. The textures I'm adding are all .jpeg and .png

Do I have to convert them to .dds and if so, how do I do that? Irfanview can open .dds but can't save (even with plugins). I have a castle I'm working on now but it looks pretty average without textures.

Any help appreciated. :)

Just a couple of other questions. Don't worry about these, but if you happen to know, it would be interesting to know.

* I've seen a few screenshots where people have hands and a gun in front of them, as in a FPS. How did they do that?

* Is there any word on when full biome support, rivers/lakes, object collision, and weather will be added? I feel like biomes and water features could really make this stunning!

* Are there plans to give us terrain shaping tools? I would like to be able to clear forested areas (I can do it with roads, but it's not perfect) and to raise/lower land as I see fit.

Thanks again.

:)

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
Re: Texturing objects?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 01:00:13 am »

Best way to export the textures is getting Gimp2 and downloading for it the DDS plugin -

http://registry.gimp.org/node/70

... when you then export it like DDS, mind the texture-sub-type acording to the wiki, but for the basic texture its DXT1 (youl see where to set it when you get to the exporting window). Then just copy the dds file into the OT model directory and head to the .mtl file, where you have to wfite its file-name into the right material (you know, the one you associated the UV in blender).

Code: [Select]
{
"name" : "Signs",
"color" : ".725,.725,.725,1.0",
"f0" : ".027",
"roughness" : ".498",
"no_light" : false,
"alpha_masked" : false,
"tex_albedo" : "Ural-4320-31_Signs.dds",
"tex_normal" : "",
"tex_roughness" : "",
"tex_opacity" : "",
"tex_reflectance" : "",
"tex_environment" : ""
},
{
"name" : "InteriorStuff",
"color" : ".725,.725,.725,1.0",
"f0" : ".027",
"roughness" : ".498",
"tex_albedo" : "Ural-4320-31_CabinInterior.dds",
},
{
"name" : "Glass",
"color" : ".023,.058,.058,.251",
"f0" : ".039",
"roughness" : ".796",
"tex_albedo" : "",
},

After that, it should be properly textured.

The FPS is a show-off animated person - just go to object spawn menu and search for the mercenary. You can enter him like a vehicle.

Yes, they working on that stuff for biomes and water-stuff.

There was once a video where they had them, not sure if they plan it any soon, but im sure it will be a part of the engine again. 
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

balfourcraig

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 08:48:00 pm »

Thanks PytonPago,

It's working now, using the GIMP trick. Looking good :)

Sorry about all the questions, but I've one more.
Could I get, or be directed to, a thing on the material settings (like the ones you have there, with "color" : ".725,.725,.725,1.0", etc.) which tells me what each value means and which way it should slide to make things more/less shiny etc?

Thanks heaps

PytonPago

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 12:57:12 am »

the collor numbers are just for the material collor tone (dont think they much doing on textured surfaces, exep the last, witch should give things some transparency when lower than 1.0). On the wiki, you can see the comparison :

http://xtrac.outerraworld.com/trac.fcgi/wiki/material

...wasnt working for longer whyte the .mtl file, but i think "Ax" is now "f0" and "m" (giving the reflectance and so the shiny look) is now "roughness" in the file. Correct me if im wrong. I know they didnt change the wiki after the material update came, so its still on other labels there, but the system works similar to the old one in this.
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

M7

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 09:51:12 am »

the collor numbers are just for the material collor tone (dont think they much doing on textured surfaces, exep the last, witch should give things some transparency when lower than 1.0).

The ''color'' numbers do affect the color of the texture. Like if you have a texture image on an object and ''color'' is   black ''.0,.0,.0,1.0'' , then the object texture will appear solid black.

Now if the ''color'' is red  "1.0,.0,1.0,1.0'' for example, the texture will have a red color cast. You have to make sure that the ''color'' is white "1.0,1.0,1.0,1.0" for the texture to show as the original without color shifting.

I think it's a non-issue with  import from most 3d modelling software but i know  sketchup will always associate a color(not white) with a texture.

PytonPago

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 11:23:17 am »

the collor numbers are just for the material collor tone (dont think they much doing on textured surfaces, exep the last, witch should give things some transparency when lower than 1.0).

The ''color'' numbers do affect the color of the texture. Like if you have a texture image on an object and ''color'' is   black ''.0,.0,.0,1.0'' , then the object texture will appear solid black.

Now if the ''color'' is red  "1.0,.0,1.0,1.0'' for example, the texture will have a red color cast. You have to make sure that the ''color'' is white "1.0,1.0,1.0,1.0" for the texture to show as the original without color shifting.

I think it's a non-issue with  import from most 3d modelling software but i know  sketchup will always associate a color(not white) with a texture.

... ah, thanks for that info ...