Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: formation flying  (Read 14126 times)

bomber

formation flying
« on: August 12, 2014, 03:28:37 pm »

So first I spawn a single comet, which has an anti-gravity system so it just sits there above the mountains... I move away from it 100m and spawn a second one  and then a third, so now I have 3 floating ships. I then open the throttle on this third comet to 20% and point it off down the valley....after a while I press esc move to the 1st comet, take control opening the throttle and set of in hot pursuit. When I catch up and fly information I take the first image.. I then press esc go back to the comet I left behind, take control of that and then follow again in hot pursuit... It takes about 5 minutes to catch up and then when I take the 2nd image...

Conclusion : 3 iterations of JSBsim working at the same time with the ability to jump between them and take control at any time...

Guys, hats off this is a piece of work.
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

CaptTrego

• Target 4 Today!
Re: formation flying
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 03:38:01 pm »

...........!!!!!!    8) 8) 8)
"Will it ever fly...??"

<CaptTrego!>

Mossie

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 04:43:39 pm »

OMG

bomber

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 06:10:45 pm »

ok I've added it for your download here...

http://target4today.com/index.php/downloads/download/2-t4t-mod-files/2-outerra-files

throttle forward thrusters
mixture reverse thrusters
joystick control yaw, up, down oh and sideways

Now this is a flight model for a 'Capital' Ship... not a frigate or fighter.. it's kinda like a proof of concept.

Do not crash into the ground, or your no-claims gets waived !
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 06:13:25 pm by bomber »
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

bomber

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 01:54:50 pm »

been doing some 'proper' formation flying...

Ok this is however using the Ask-13 glider flight model with this external..

I am experiencing some issues with the flight model from Flightgear to Outerra and I'd like to work it through with an Outerra developer if I can.

Regards

Simon

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 02:49:32 pm »

Probably best describing the problem here, I'll drag Angrypig to answer ;)

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 03:35:18 pm »

You can also use the quickspawn keys. "7" to spawn a Cessna, full throttle, "7" again, etc... In less than one minute you'll have dozens of birds trying to take of to the sky. However, the result is not going to be a proper flight formation, but rather a complet mayhem since planes (in JBSIM?) are not really stable without a lot of trimming. The majority of them will go kissing the ground after a quick turn, and a few will keep a kind-of-ok trajectory and will fly in all the directions.

Most amazing thing is that you can go far away from them, when you come back they will still be here (if you manage to find the spot again), flying awkwardly before having an appointment with a cliff, or better a quick bath in the deep depths of the ocean.

;D

bomber

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 04:21:25 pm »

with an autopilot system they can fly to any preset script your heart so desired

bomber

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 04:30:57 pm »

http://target4today.com/_posted_images_/2014-08/ask-13.xml

The initials problems lie on lines 4623 and 4628.....

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2014, 02:38:05 am »

Hmm, that error message is mine, JSBSim sometimes generates NaN positions when querying elevations. May be an effect of it first getting some bad values in previous frames.

bomber

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2014, 06:16:01 am »

I agree I think that's correct that it's a bad value in the previous frame..

To put it simply the code needs to generate a lift value, this is then used to calculate the exact centre of lift of the wing and thus the roll moment and also induced drag.

but in the first frame there is no lift I suspect and so the result is a failure to calculate the values.

the planes flying at present because I can substitute a calculated centre of lift with a fixed value, but I'd rather not.
I can also remove the induced drag from both the yaw moments and the overall drag.... but again I'd rather not.

Where do we go from here ?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2014, 08:42:18 am »

Does it happen right from the start, or some time later?

bomber

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2014, 08:47:36 am »

Right from the start..

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2014, 10:35:52 am »

Ok, we'll probably need to debug it. Can you upload that version?

bomber

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2014, 10:40:08 am »

Pages: [1] 2