Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15

Author Topic: Oculus Rift  (Read 172360 times)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: Oculus Rift
« Reply #195 on: July 16, 2017, 07:05:52 am »

I agree with that. Unfortunately, the terrain engine in it's current state is too slow or not able to update the terrain tiles accordingly in VR, giving blurry or half loaded landscapes. I can say, OT  does work "somehow" in VR but it's not satisfying at all.

It should not be specific to VR, it's usually when you modify settings (especially terrain quality) beyond or too far from the defaults, when the terrain refinement issues start to appear. The update of terrain tiles is the same as in non-VR mode, and FOV or other parameters affecting terrain cache isn't that different either.

Well is there at least an option to get one of the older "VR friendly" versions?

Older versions were linked to older Oculus runtimes, in fact it was one of their updates that forced us to redo the VR rendering and led to suboptimal structure.

It's not very clear to me as where the development is heading at the moment and honestly I would love to be able to experience Outerra in VR again.
I do understand that until you have your "pipeline" sorted it would be probably waste of time but could you give us at least simplified, somehow working VR support for the time being please..?

VR support is a required item on our list, as mainly the simulation industry is asking about it periodically, although it's mainly the Vive support they are asking for. On the other side we registered a drop of interest on the customer side, probably proportional to the number of simulator fans vs the whole gaming community. Speaking about myself personally, I haven't played in VR for a long time, but that's mainly because of severe lack of time. However, I still find it odd given how thrilling it seemed to me at the beginning, but facing all the problems with motion and control in VR it put me into a kind of waiting mode.
But as I said it's just my personal mood, it's still very much clear to me that better VR support in OT is a must have. Unfortunately there's gazillion other things too and we can't fulfill everyone's priorities fast enough.

Apart from the UI which is broken, is there another problem specific to VR in OT? I think 2eyed posted about problems in Bern, but that's not specific to VR but to the number of objects in scene breaching limits and not completing all the passes if you have lower min_obj_size setting. I mean, while there are issues, I had not considered the VR support to not be at least "somehow working".

HiFlyer

« Reply #196 on: July 16, 2017, 10:21:17 am »

I'm not so sure it was a drop in interest, so much as people just began to mentally file VR and Outerra as things that don't currently go together. I love VR, and would love to see it working in Outerra, but the experience right now is so suboptimal that it borders on painful, and after the initial spurt of enthusiasm, I just haven't bothered except for the occasional foray every few months to see if anything has changed.
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

2eyed

« Reply #197 on: July 17, 2017, 12:20:20 pm »

The loading issues (blurry, unrendered parts of terrain) in VR are severe also with default (480) terrain settings. Gfx is 1080 gtx here. It depends on amount of rugged terrain. I. e. Himalaya scenery is barely playable. Moving over terrain with roads (Switzerland), the scene almost never get finally rendered. For me, it's clearly worse than it was in former versions. Frames per second are not really bad, ranging from 45 (ASW) to 90 with the rift. But for some reason, the engine cannot cope with that.

Edit: Another point I would like to add are the inaccurate placed, with head movement shifting tree shadows. We have them since many versions tho.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 03:20:53 pm by 2eyed »

Varldsligist

• Long time x, first time y
« Reply #198 on: July 18, 2017, 01:35:19 pm »

VR is far from a mature technology and it's still plagued by issues. However, it's an amazing technology which fits perfectly with the idea of the engine, i.e. being able to go anywhere. It's already surreal to fly an airplane in Outerra vid the Rift. I'm also certain the engine aswell as VR hardware will improve a lot in the coming year or so.

davythedave

« Reply #199 on: December 02, 2017, 10:41:27 am »

Is there any way to force VR mode? I've been trying to get OT running on my Vive using Revive which allows most Oculus software to run but the headset doesn't seem get recognised.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 11:21:16 am by davythedave »

mikochu

« Reply #200 on: January 11, 2018, 01:02:50 pm »

Is there any way to force VR mode? I've been trying to get OT running on my Vive using Revive which allows most Oculus software to run but the headset doesn't seem get recognised.

Right-click on the Revive tray tool and select "Inject..." and then choose the Outerra executable in the Program Files directory.  Outerra should load on the desktop in a window with the star scene in your headset.  The Outerra menu system is wonky in VR, so just press Enter and it should start caching the scene.  It was pretty stuttery in the Samsung Odyssey I was testing, but it works.

Jerry

« Reply #201 on: January 14, 2018, 04:41:43 am »

Any news on VR support?
This feature was the only reason I invested in this project my two cents. Please don't ignore this! I'm not the only one, believe me.
"Drop of interest" was registered because outerra no longer works in VR as presented in early stages so there is no attraction for vr users any more.
Your engine has great potential, please don't throw it in the bin.. 

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #202 on: January 14, 2018, 06:14:42 am »

We are reworking the VR support in new rendering pipeline. Also adding Vive support, all should likely come shortly after the pipeline gets stable.

Jerry

« Reply #203 on: January 14, 2018, 07:58:18 am »

Great to hear that!!
Thanks Cameni

2eyed

« Reply #204 on: January 14, 2018, 08:02:09 am »

This sounds downright good! The only question is... when will the new pipline get stable? :D

Jerry

« Reply #205 on: January 14, 2018, 08:05:16 am »

:))

HiFlyer

« Reply #206 on: January 22, 2018, 08:00:57 pm »

This sounds downright good! The only question is... when will the new pipline get stable? :D

I'm suspecting just about the same time Alpha reaches the Magellan Current.  =D (just kidding)

Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

aWac9

« Reply #207 on: January 26, 2018, 03:34:35 pm »

Oculus Research shows its new multi-focus technology  https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-research-reveals-new-multi-focal-display-tech/

gloves

davythedave

« Reply #208 on: January 13, 2019, 12:43:34 pm »

Right-click on the Revive tray tool and select "Inject..." and then choose the Outerra executable in the Program Files directory.  Outerra should load on the desktop in a window with the star scene in your headset.  The Outerra menu system is wonky in VR, so just press Enter and it should start caching the scene.  It was pretty stuttery in the Samsung Odyssey I was testing, but it works.
I have spent many hours and tried this about a thousand times, uninstalling, re-installing, injecting and patching but nothing seems to work. I'd love to be able to get back to where we were a few years ago on the DK2, nothing I've played in VR has come close to flying the Mig-29 around the mountains in the Outerra engine.

Nedo

« Reply #209 on: May 05, 2019, 06:17:31 am »

Hello, i have a question regarding VR, does Outerra work with the Vive Pro today?
I totaly forgot about this program here but used it a few years ago with my Rift DK2 :D
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15