Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Missiles, Bombs and Rockets, Guided/Unguided Munitions  (Read 39387 times)

Uriah

• Global Moderator
  • We do these things not because they are easy. -JFK
Re: Missiles, Bombs and Rockets, Guided/Unguided Munitions
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2015, 09:24:46 pm »

Mk 82 SnakeEye 500lb General Purpose High Drag Bomb

Free model from TurboSquid artist joemember, with custom textures/materials.
http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/560755

« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 09:27:01 pm by Uriah509 »

Uriah

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2015, 11:48:38 pm »

GBU-12 Paveway II (Mark-82 Warhead)

Free model from TurboSquid artist Kyle Nelson (no longer exists on TS).
https://www.flatpyramid.com/3d-models/gbu-12-laser-guided-bomb-3d-studio-max-file-max

« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 11:57:02 pm by Uriah509 »

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2015, 01:45:42 am »

Nice ones ! .... also, is that a photo-illusion, or is thar IIR shorter on the real-life photo (are there possibly two warhead explosives mass types ?) .
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

Uriah

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2015, 02:18:12 am »

It is just the angle, I sized and scaled all of these together in a single file using real-world measurements. The AGM-65 model is precise in terms of length/diameter, and wing span/chord, sub-centimeter accuracy.

As far as the GBU-12 and Mk-82 Snakeye, they are both slightly off aspect ratio, length/diameter and curvature is wrong for the Mk-82 warhead mesh specifically, and different on the GBU-12 than the Snakeye, which is wrong. Although both models have intricate details, and they were free, so I'll forgive their respective artists. Since the Mk-82 500lb warhead has a number of different configurations, I want to use a single object package that includes all the meshes for each Mk-82 configuration, in the seeker, warhead, propulsion and control sections, which are shown/hidden accordingly. I really like this method, because it means you have fewer packages installed in OT.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 02:39:24 am by Uriah509 »

Uriah

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2015, 02:51:34 am »

PytonPago

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2015, 03:08:11 am »

Exactly, also it makes you easier to add new mods to models when needed. There surely is some limit on HW in coping whyte too big packages, but seeing how it handles my ural project, its pretty much solid.

Well visible on this one - the fins seem to be much sorter under certain angles, making it look different. 

As for the diameters - it isn't much a problem from normal vision-distances. It had to be a caricature work.  :D  My 2M22 and other will too have the broader parts slightly more "visible", but just to show off people, that it isnt just a conform tube (its quite hard to see it on real ones on first glances-its basically to reduce the tube-induced drag when flying off the launcher, has almost no negatives to ballistics as it is a rotary-flight rocket (like bullets from modern weapons)). Some russian rocket propelled flame-throwers have such fins too :

Doe, dont know much how the physics looks behind that cause it has to do a lot whyte the projectile speed and aerodynamics to chose the right angle for max. flight distance.
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

Uriah

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2015, 03:16:26 am »

There surely is some limit on HW in coping with too big packages

Yeah, OT only handles 60,000 or so vertices... Which isn't very many really, and it is very limiting. I was shopping around on TurboSquid for models to purchase, and there are some nice ones, but they are either very low poly, or ultra high, neither of which is of use to me. I can tessellate low poly models, but they are usually proportionally inaccurate to begin with.

Here is a great image I found of the Ural firing the 9M22U rocket.

Regards,
Uriah
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 03:23:10 am by Uriah509 »

Uriah

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2015, 07:21:38 am »

BGM-109 Tomahawk Cruise Missile

PytonPago

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2015, 08:52:01 am »

There surely is some limit on HW in coping with too big packages

Yeah, OT only handles 60,000 or so vertices... Which isn't very many really, and it is very limiting. I was shopping around on TurboSquid for models to purchase, and there are some nice ones, but they are either very low poly, or ultra high, neither of which is of use to me. I can tessellate low poly models, but they are usually proportionally inaccurate to begin with.

Here is a great image I found of the Ural firing the 9M22U rocket.

Regards,
Uriah

.. that limit is on a single mesh --- witch you can have "unlimited" in a model. So if ya break them up, no problems ...

Hey, that is the modernized version (you can see it on the launcher tubes heads - there is some additional apparature to give digital inf. to warheads (initial flight data or external pre-fire linkage about out of view targets) ). Actually, one of the early test versions. There is also an separate unit - Tornado-G that is specialized for coastal-operations designated for the navy and coast-guard regiments. Has mostly anti-submarine or even heard of underwater detection munitions ... theyr simply an addition to the well known batteries A-222 Берег ("Coast"):

As for turbo-squid, if ya buy one, you're better give the author knowledge about a mod (most dont care, but some are doing it on professional level and dont allow mods or free-type content promotion). Just for preventing bad stuff ...

The tomahawk looks great !

Now i remembered again, ive written few years ago about an ungarian guy making a sim of some older soviet AA installations (just java/flash ? foto-screen clicking thingy). Would be cool finding one of those, make the interior and have a fully-functional AA system in OT.

https://sites.google.com/site/samsimulator1972/home

Uriah

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2015, 09:24:49 am »

.. that limit is on a single mesh --- witch you can have "unlimited" in a model. So if ya break them up, no problems ...

Now that I did not know! I was having trouble with that, thank you.

SAM Simulator looks awesome! Might be able to borrow from it or integrate in the future. Sadly OT needs many features before full functionality is possible. I am downloading it to see how it works.

I found some open source code which could be modified for JSBSim Guidance/Control. It seems to have all the functionality I need, and can computer intercept solution in three dimensions, with constant acceleration of both missile and target.

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/19310/Hitting-a-Moving-Target-The-Missile-Guidance-Syste

PytonPago

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2015, 11:50:08 am »

NICE !

bomber

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2015, 12:50:54 pm »

Was wondering if the tracking code could be adapted to give AI turret code, or ground AAA or searchlight code.

Having turrets onboard heavy bombers that recognised, tracked and engaged enemy planes would be a great enhancement..

On another issue sorry I've not released anything this holiday period but I've had a shocking cold all the way through it... Will get back up to speed on the new year.
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

Uriah

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2015, 05:55:53 pm »

Bomber, absolutely, although I am currently only able to track JSBSim objects from other JSBSim objects, and only once I know the aircraft ID. Brano said there needs to be an interface to communicate between Bullet and JSBSim. I would be happy to work with you on tracking turrets. The code for actually shooting, I have no idea how that works, but I can calculate lead for a moving target if I know the ballistic trajectory of the projectile.

bomber

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2015, 06:01:35 pm »

The only interface needed would be does a bullet intersect with a mesh hitbox....

If we can determine this then damage calcs and the effects on jsbsim properties are relatively simple..
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

Uriah

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2015, 07:46:01 pm »

What I meant is I cannot call the position and velocity of a ground vehicle from an aircraft script, so I cannot track it. So far only aircraft to aircraft. I haven't experimented with ground vehicles tracking the position and velocity of another ground vehicle, but I expect it would work. Supposedly Bullet collisions interact with JSBSim objects, but not vice versa.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5