Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Geometry Instancing.  (Read 4933 times)

Levi

• Outerra Mods Site!
Geometry Instancing.
« on: February 12, 2015, 06:06:31 am »

I've always instanced my meshes (e.g. switches inside a cockpit) in 3ds Max when possible, but I'm wondering if Outerra really makes use of geometry instancing within an object package to reduce draw calls.

I made a quick test to see the difference when the objects are instanced and when they're not, but it seems that only the package memory footprint changes. Draw calls and FPS still the same.

Instanced:

Not Instanced:

Exported from 3ds Max 2015 to FBX with the option Preserve Instances checked.

And of course, as explained here, the instanced meshes have the exact same vertex coordinates and indices, the same UV coordinates, and the same material.

Any thoughts?

angrypig

Re: Geometry Instancing.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 07:26:52 am »

It's temporal limitation for "in package" instances we will solve it in near future. If you add more objects to scene instancing will be used.

Levi

• Outerra Mods Site!
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 07:38:01 am »

Thank you Ladislav! Good to know it will be solved. And yes, instancing on separate objects/entities works as it should.

josem75

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 01:28:06 pm »

Normally when i use instancing in some large arquitect scene in max, with tons of 3d trees or so, instances are saving memory.
I suppouse if outerra is able to work with instances we can build tons of buildings for example, or any objects when they are the same. And save the memory calls. But i dont know how this would save fps. This angry would answer better. I think instances would not save poligons and vertex to render but saving memory maybe improve fps too. 

necro

• google+ Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 04:20:01 am »

Instances are reducing draw calls. The sum of draw calls influence your fps. So your fps will benefit with less draw calls.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 05:04:01 pm by necro »

josem75

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 07:16:45 am »

Instances are reducint draw calls. The sum of draw calls influence your fps. So your fps will benefit with less draw calls.

i am doing some building for a real place and more things for outerra. I will instance  windows and the similar things then.