Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19

Author Topic: demo ?  (Read 192283 times)

djt

demo ?
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2010, 05:18:31 pm »

Quote from: cameni
There should be no big impact; it's not like we are creating a thick layer to hide all aspects of the APIs. The engine is mostly the shaders and the graphics API-independent code. We are also using code generators that hide the specifics without requiring heavy abstract code.

Yes, DX10+ is anything from DX10 and above. Mainly that means we aren't addressing DX9 because that has quite different and old architecture.

So as far as the game developer is concerned would they have to choose between going OpenGL or DirectX with the Outerra game engine during development?

Could this be so flexible as to have an “in-game” option so that the end user could switch between an OpenGL and DirectX “mode”?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
demo ?
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2010, 05:51:20 pm »

Well in theory it could go that far as to have it an in-game option, although I don't see the point other than because-one-can. It's meant more to give the developers the choice during the development, to tune the game to it and to give the possibility to reuse their or a third party code.

Abc94

demo ?
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2010, 02:48:04 pm »

Any luck with the AMD card Problem?
"It costs over $400 000 to play for 12 seconds."     Heavy Weapons Guy on Outerra demo.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
demo ?
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2010, 06:19:29 pm »

We've submitted about 5 bug reports so far, but what's worse - we don't have workarounds for the last two.
No word from AMD yet if they identified/fixed these. And even when they do, it will be 2-3 months before the fixed drivers are released publicly.

So we are waiting for the 10.3 drivers to see if they fix anything. Otherwise we'd have to find the workarounds .. or wait. But truthfully, we aren't much inclined to lose more time on this when there's so much work on many parts of the engine yet, and since these bugs will be eventually fixed.

Abc94

demo ?
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2010, 06:13:04 pm »

I guess if the bugs will fix themselves eventually it makes more sence to put your effort somewhere else.  I am looking forward to another update!  :)

It's to bad ATI haven't replied at all yet.  I hope this is not something that will never get looked at.
"It costs over $400 000 to play for 12 seconds."     Heavy Weapons Guy on Outerra demo.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
demo ?
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2010, 02:16:53 am »

They replied that they have identified and fixed two less serious bugs we submitted, and they thank us for each bug report, so it's not that bad :)

Abc94

demo ?
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2010, 08:27:05 pm »

Oh ok it's good to know they fixed the other bugs.  They probably have seen the other bugs if they fixed two of them already.

halobungie

demo ?
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2010, 06:08:17 am »

Hello,

Can you tell me approximately when you will release the demo?

Greetings,
halobungie

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
demo ?
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2010, 06:31:46 am »

Well, AMD tells us that it takes 2-3 months until the fixes for the bugs we report are released publicly. But they didn't fix 2 more serious bugs that render the engine unusable now on AMD/ATI cards, so we have to wait. And poke them once in a while.
I'm going to test the 10.3 driver to see if it's any better.

We have also several of our own issues to fix before the release, but these only require labor, no praying :)

Abc94

demo ?
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2010, 07:34:48 pm »

ATI recently released the 10.3 drivers.

They didn't by chance fix the two major bugs did they?

EDIT:  You should post that HD Video Capture update on MODDB.  :)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
demo ?
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2010, 08:42:31 am »

Ah don't get me started ..
When I tried it, the code didn't even compile because 10.3 introduced a new bug. Workaround will not be complicated, that is, after I cool off :mad:

I've posted the update on ModDB, but it takes long time until they approve it. And maybe they will archive it again ..

Abc94

demo ?
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2010, 09:28:24 pm »

The driver updates actually made it worse and now there's three bugs?  That's kind of ironic.  Good to hear that it's an easy workaround.

The update on MODDB is showing up now.  :)

Abc94

demo ?
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2010, 01:38:48 pm »

Any word from AMD about the 2 engine breaking bugs?  :|

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
demo ?
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2010, 02:05:06 pm »

We will soon have access to beta drivers (under NDA) so we'll find out if these were fixed. We've received a note from AMD that the bugs have been fixed, or more precisely that they believe they have been fixed :p

This would be great, hopefully it will work and the remaining part of the rendering code that wasn't tested yet because of the blockers will be without problems too. It means that publicly available driver with these fixes will be available 2-3 months from now.
Still, that's much better than "someday+3months" date :)

helio2

demo ?
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2010, 09:32:06 pm »

Well this is somewhat good news if everything works, cause i have that Dx11 AMD gfx card!
Outerra needs a Planet size modifier.   < nuff said!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19