Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16

Author Topic: [WIP] Boeing AH-64D Apache Longbow  (Read 161677 times)

Uriah

• Global Moderator
  • We do these things not because they are easy. -JFK
Re: [WIP] Boeing AH-64D Apache Longbow
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2015, 01:13:55 pm »

Thanks!  8)

One thing I will say is the flight model has been completely re-built, and now includes a working turbine engine, APU and electrical system. In order to fly the Apache you will need to learn the startup procedure, to turn on the electrical supply, start the APU, and start the main engines in order to spool up the rotor. With this is mind, I'll be releasing a comprehensive Flight Manual.

Best regards,
Uriah

« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 04:44:00 pm by Uriah »

HiFlyer

« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2015, 10:16:53 pm »

I will love it when clickable cockpits arrive, as (usually) strange keyboard commands are not my thing.  :)
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2015, 08:27:57 pm »

"A man who is contented with what he has done, will never become famous for what he will do".

Uriah

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2015, 08:01:27 pm »

This screenshot doesn't even come close to doing the new tail justice. KW71 doesn't stop... adding... details... ever! :-)

Keep it up and we'll have the best Apache ever created for a game, if we already don't!

Woogey

« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2015, 09:01:37 pm »

Hey Uriah, Nice work!  I like that Outerra is moving forward in development.  Will aircraft effects be something attached to the model, or will these be built into the Game engine later?    Things like Tire smoke on touch down, Vapor trails, engine smoke, etc.  Is there a damage model for use in Combat later?  -Woog

Uriah

• Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2015, 09:59:09 pm »

Hi,

Thanks! :D I can only take credit for development of the code, the improvements to the 3d model and textures are all KW71's work!

Particle effects such as you mention are something that will be native to the engine and added to an aircraft or vehicle in JavaScript. There are already smoke effects, but they have not been released yet, and will likely need to be optimized for performance reasons before being made available to the public.

A damage model is something I am working on for the Apache already. There are two sides to a damage model, the flight model and the physical 3d model. However, there are some functional aspects which need to be addressed in order for this to work at the level necessary for combat simulation. I plan to build a basic damage model for the alpha release of the Apache (illustrated in the images below), and a more sophisticated one in the future which will include hit boxes to model damage/failure of internal sub-systems and components, such as electrical sub-systems, engines, fuel tanks, etc.

Best regards,
Uriah

« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 10:10:49 pm by Uriah »

Woogey

« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2015, 10:43:34 pm »

I need to really study up on Outerra.  I have spent most of my time modding FSX/P3d, and also X-plane a little.  Is there a "paint kit" available yet, or is KH71 still tweaking the model?  I would love to do some repaints of my local JBLM based Apaches, although most of ours are now the new AH-64E models with the upturned exhaust, and higher rated engine output. 

Uriah

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2015, 10:55:48 pm »

Nothing has been released yet, but I expect we will be disclosing a release date and list of features soon. Once it is released you will easily be able to create custom skins.

I'm from Washington myself, so I look forward to seeing your JBLM scenery!  :D

If you have any questions, I am usually on the #outerra IRC channel. http://forum.outerra.com/index.php?action=chat

Regards,
Uriah

krcm1981

« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2015, 01:44:20 am »

Anyone else love the warning on the front of default 64D
"RADAR WARNING
       NO PUSH
       NO PULL
     GO TO HELL"
U.S. Army CW2 Ret.
153DD UH-60A/L Aviator MedEvac

MrWohoo

• Rotorhead
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2015, 03:41:08 pm »

I dont know if this is old or anything, but if it is still being worked on, i couldnt be more happier. I am a huge helicopter fan myself, and i prefer rotary much more than fixed wings.

Anywho, this has been like a long wait for a christmas that may never come, but i wont lose hope :)

Keep up the good work, modders. The whole forum owes you a great deal of thanks for even doing this.
Without Sikorsky, we wouldnt be here !

Uriah

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2015, 04:36:41 pm »

Hi there!

Your words are much appreciated. A lot of hard work goes into this stuff, especially when you're developing core functionality from the ground up. I like to think of it as, I'm not simply working on a single aircraft, but constructing the blueprints for building blocks which will enable those to come to build better things! :)

Don't loose hope! In fact, check back soon. ;) The AH-64 is a very active project, and we have a surprise on its way!

In the meantime, be sure to check out the screenshots we posted on the previous page in case you missed them.
http://forum.outerra.com/index.php?topic=3253.msg37360#msg37360

Best regards,
Uriah

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2015, 10:48:39 pm »

I dont know if this is old or anything, but if it is still being worked on, i couldnt be more happier. I am a huge helicopter fan myself, and i prefer rotary much more than fixed wings.

Anywho, this has been like a long wait for a christmas that may never come, but i wont lose hope :)

Keep up the good work, modders. The whole forum owes you a great deal of thanks for even doing this.

Thanks, MrWohoo!!   I also prefer copters... Are much more interesting to fly, IMO.  We are making progress on this... slow but firm.

As my friend and team mate said, there are surprises on its way!
"A man who is contented with what he has done, will never become famous for what he will do".

MrWohoo

• Rotorhead
« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2015, 06:16:14 am »

Well i didnt expect such a wonderful response :)

I was just wondering if the craft will have accurate flight dynamics ?
By that i mean.. well, we all know a traditional rotary aircraft with one rotor and an anti-tourqe rotor, does not want to fly. Its like balancing a few tonnes on a pinhead trying to hold it balanced :P
How about the vortex effect ? The state you get when the airflow runs through the blades but get trapped in a vortex around the outer edges of the blades.
Negative blade Stall ? The state you get when you are going faster than the rotary blades can push airflow through the blades. You will basically nosedive down and, well, stall :P
Ground Resonanse ? Its more likely you will get this from an aircraft with skids, rather than wheels, since wheels dampen eventual vibrations etc.
Anti-tourque effect ? Pedalwork.. lots of pedalwork :P

Just a few things ive rarely seen games implement, even fully commercial helicopter aircraft simulators ( except professional ones).

Again, thank you for your awesome work. However this turns out, it will be brilliant :)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 06:21:23 am by MrWohoo »

Uriah

• Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2015, 06:31:49 am »

Hi again,

I have already made considerable progress on the flight model, however there are the obvious issues of complexity when moving from traditional aircraft to rotor/VTOL aircraft.

Stability necessitates modeling two primary types of systems, the Stability Augmentation System and the Intermixing Unit. I am working towards understanding these systems and implementing them.

Modelling vortex interactions isn't the problem, getting accurate data on specific aircraft throughout the flight envelope is the problem. As you have seen, I have plenty of data on the UH-60 Black Hawk, but have had considerable difficulty obtaining data on the Apache.

Retreating blade stall is an interesting problem, which I understand the basis of, but haven't quite grasped how JSB is modelling rotors to begin with in order to determine how to proceed in attacking this problem.

When you say "ground resonance", can you describe more fully what it is you are referring to, or point me to some relevant information.

From the current state of the Apache flight model as it stands in Outerra, what I have already is a step in the right direction, but will require much more work. I plan to get back into the flight model more once we have released an alpha version of the Apache and I have time to focus on it exclusively.

I hope that answers your questions.

Best regards,
Uriah

MrWohoo

• Rotorhead
« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2015, 06:53:20 am »

Here you have a video describing visually the ground resonance effect. Its quite horrifying if you get it;
Its something i hope i never ever get.. The only way to get out of it is to lift off as quickly as you can.

Heres the Wiki; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_resonance

And yes, i saw that post on the UH-60.. mindboggeling maths..

But yeah, this answers most of it. You're a great scripter, keep up the good work :)

EDIT: I dont know about you, but i think i would get alot of information if i made myself my own helicopter, like this russian pensioner;

« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 07:57:49 am by MrWohoo »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16