Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Biomes  (Read 11286 times)

HiFlyer

Re: Biomes
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2016, 09:07:15 am »

We also found that there was an over-aggressive snow removal algo from the existing color data, that was making desert colors quite bland.

Funny how I never realized there was something missing in desert areas until you shaw this new picture :)

I did. You can see from some earlier Outerra pictures taken from orbit that certain surface features were much more prevalent..... then they were gone, and I assumed the culprit was atmospheric scattering..... Which I started fiddling with.

This occasioned some discussion regarding unrealistic expectations caused by enhanced earth coloring in pictures.

Whatever the cause, I'm really glad to have the additional clarity back! (Yay!)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 09:39:32 am by HiFlyer »
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

josem75

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2016, 11:22:30 am »

We also found that there was an over-aggressive snow removal algo from the existing color data, that was making desert colors quite bland.

Funny how I never realized there was something missing in desert areas until you shaw this new picture :)

I did. You can see from some earlier Outerra pictures taken from orbit that certain surface features were much more prevalent..... then they were gone, and I assumed the culprit was atmospheric scattering..... Which I started fiddling with.

This occasioned some discussion regarding unrealistic expectations caused by enhanced earth coloring in pictures.

Whatever the cause, I'm really glad to have the additional clarity back! (Yay!)

In fact. Just i didnt remember the times where the detail was there.

Just an idea about snow filter. Would not be posible to apply with some kind of mask which take in account the altitude and latitude? I mean. In the middle of africa is pointless to apply at a sea level. Maybe we can find snow there over 5.000 ft or so in so little points (Atlas, etc). 
In Europe, depending on the pictures data, in summer will not find snow below 3.000 ft. And so on.

I dont know how would be posible to make those kind of masks, maybe with inteligent filters which make predictions where can really be snow by latitude/altitude or so (while altitude in a 2d pic is a dare...). But this would avoid the washing effect in the entire world and prevent the pure color in many % of the areas.
Anyway it seems this less agressive way respect better the colors

PD: a tricky way wouyld be take a 2d pic showing altitude by colors or so, and make the picture as big as the 2d map texture, vectorize the part in the altitude target, and apply the filter inside vectors.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 11:30:36 am by josem75 »

HiFlyer

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2016, 12:07:07 pm »

One of the old widescreen shots. Compare to what Cameni posted, and you can see the difference.
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2016, 12:26:53 pm »

One of the old widescreen shots. Compare to what Cameni posted, and you can see the difference.

Ah, indeed  :)

aWac9

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2016, 04:39:45 pm »

I wondered if a seasonal color of the vegetation is contemplated.
by ejemple this autumn brown own.

:)

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2016, 10:56:56 am »

"A man who is contented with what he has done, will never become famous for what he will do".

josem75

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2016, 04:24:44 pm »

I have some trees converted into covered in snow trees. I have a system for some degrees of snow cover. I made pics in the past but i lost that hdd. Now i am trying to put the trees again but i have a problem for make dds texture in photoshop.
I have the plugin for dds, but i dont remember the right type dds in save options for get a propper transparent tree in outerra.

If you remind me that i will try to work more in this.

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2016, 04:45:40 pm »

These trees are direct renders made from 3D models with snow. So far all the trees that could have snow over them depending on the temperature of the place they grow, are allready converted. Same for autumn trees; just the decidious species are rendered with their original fall colors, and then without leaves.
"A man who is contented with what he has done, will never become famous for what he will do".

HiFlyer

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2016, 05:18:09 pm »

Very very nice. I appreciate the effort!

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2016, 05:43:23 pm »

Thanks, HiFlyer!!
Pages: 1 [2]