Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Help Needed - Sketchup Import  (Read 12089 times)

Alca

Help Needed - Sketchup Import
« on: May 13, 2016, 11:04:00 pm »

Hi there, i'm totally new to 3D and such stuff so i downloaded sketchup and followed this tutorial to try for myself. I imported a ship into Outerra but...this is what i get:

Click here to see the model i tried to import.

I searched a  bit on the forum and i found textures have to be converted to DDS (the guy on the video didn't convert anything so i'm really not sure about what i'm doing),i downloaded the phohoshop dds plugin from Nvidia and i converted all my textures to "DXT1 RGB 4 bpp | no alpha" and added the whole thing to the root of my package.
the result is different but still not what i'm expecting : ^^

I may add i couldn't "properly" convert one of the texture because it said "only RGB Mode is supported" so i did this to be able to continue (not sure if it's good):

Here you can see all the jpeg+dds. The "23" gave me that error :

Don't know if it can help, but those are the options i had when i exported with sketchup (sorry it's in french) :

I'm a bit confuse now and there isn't a lot more infos about sketchup so... Can anyone help with this ? Thank you ! ;)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 11:14:24 pm by Alca »
[Insert a highly philosophical quote here.]

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
Re: Beginner help - Sketchup Import
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 11:18:37 pm »

Hi!

The model have a lot of inverted normals. Seems there is an option to export the faces twice (facing both sides), but that would double the polycount, and you don't want that!  :)

I would recomend you to import the .fbx in Blender and recalculate the normals.

http://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/12165/how-to-make-all-faces-flip-to-the-right-consistent-direction

But, as you are new to 3D, I would highly recommend you to start with simpler models, especially if you need to fix them first.
"A man who is contented with what he has done, will never become famous for what he will do".

Alca

Re: Help Needed - Sketchup Import
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 10:09:06 pm »

Hi KW71 and thanks for your help. On your advices i almost obtained what i wanted but i wasn't able to open the .fbx with blender (i installed "Bos FBX Importer/Exporter" though). So..I used some sketchup plugins to easily revert the big amount of faces (a "brush" and a automated script).
Problem :Looks like reverting some faces impacts the adjacent ones and leave a white texture on the opposite side of them, but depending of what i'll revert first, those faces will or will not have the same material on the opoposite side, ..That's weird!  Hope you'll understand what i mean i know that's pretty confuse !
I could maybe copy the same material on each side of the faces but i'm not sure that's the way i have to do as it just seems bugged. Any idea ?:P

Alca

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 12:17:39 am »

A long time after :

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Next step : to make it flyable !  ^-^
Thx again for your help !

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 01:54:21 pm »

Good to see you figured it out to fix it directly in Sketchup!  :)
"A man who is contented with what he has done, will never become famous for what he will do".

Alca

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 04:31:07 pm »

Another quick question, i'm supposed to see some kind of windows on both sides of the ship but they don't clearly show up.
I have at least two .dds which seems to be related to windows, but as you can see below, sides are almost full black :

As it should be :

My pictures :

Iv'e read the wiki but i don't clearly undestand what i have to do and how do i know which textures have to be converted in what format...Inside the MTL, everything is automatically placed in the "albedo" section, so i presume they all have to be converted in DXT1 format ? I've also modified the roughness but it's still to dark, so maybe it's normal, i don't know...
Thank you.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 04:49:17 pm by Alca »

Alca

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2016, 06:20:06 pm »

Just noticed something else, there is a window under the ship but this is what happens when imported :

As it is in Sketchup :

How can i fix that ?
Thank you.  :)

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2016, 09:22:27 am »

This may help.

http://xtrac.outerraworld.com/wiki/material
http://xtrac.outerraworld.com/wiki/material_database

the fourth value in

"color" : "1.0,1.0,1.0,1.0", 

is the opacity.

Alca

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2016, 01:44:15 pm »

Cool, i fixed both problems with that, thank you ! ;)

Alca

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2016, 09:51:15 am »

I'm 98% done but i'm facing a new (and hope the last) issue. Some of the gaitling parts are not imported (Normals are facing the correct way) and the whole "block" is missing its textures.

Any idea ? =|

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2016, 06:56:43 pm »

Are those partes exported correctly in the .fbx? Check it by opening the .fbx that you generated in sketchup.

Alca

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2016, 10:40:44 pm »

I presume yes, there are 22 gatlings inside the .fbx, the same amount i have on the model. However it's a bit chineese to be honest. :facepalm:
Yes i remember you told me to start with something else as a beginner... But holy mackerel, it's almost done so i can't give up anymore now ! :))
If maybe you want to take a look over my files, i uploaded them on MEGA: Venator-class Star Destroyer.rar.
Thanks for your time.

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2016, 11:27:45 pm »

I (messy) imported the .fbx in Blender and there are a lot of non-parented geometry. Those won't be imported in OT.

Perhaps this might help:

https://help.sketchup.com/en/article/3000121

Alca

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2016, 01:41:19 pm »

I take a look, thank you. :)

LuisBal

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2017, 06:26:20 am »

I (messy) imported the .fbx in Blender and there are a lot of non-parented geometry. Those won't be imported in OT.

Perhaps this might help:

https://help.sketchup.com/en/article/3000121

That helped me a lot. Thanks KW.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 04:34:28 pm by LuisBal »
Pages: [1] 2