Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 3D anaglyph shots  (Read 25268 times)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
3D anaglyph shots
« on: June 20, 2011, 10:11:32 am »

For those who possess red-cyan anaglyph glasses, here are few screenshots showing Outerra renders in 3D, from a quick test how it would look like.

One area where the 3D effect brings something more is when its presence on near objects enhances perception of distant parts of the scene. Chasms and abysses feel definitely more menacing in 3D.

Two screen shots with a wider separation between eyes to boost the 3D effect:

pico

• http://
3D anaglyph shots
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 11:56:07 am »

Very nice. I plan to buy a 3d Monitor with polarisation Technik. Would be nice to play Outerra in 3D.  :D

Picture 2 has the best 3D View.  :cool:

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
3D anaglyph shots
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 12:03:17 pm »

That's pretty cool! :)  Would love to see a short video of this.  The separation on the last two shots worked a lot better than the other shots.
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

ddenn

3D anaglyph shots
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 02:45:45 pm »

Nice! Can you please make some pictures for Cross-Eyed Viewing?
i7 3930K 3.50 (3.80) Ghz, 32Gb RAM, GTX980 4 Gb VRAM, Windows 7 64-bit

About Outerra in Russian

Worldsprayer

3D anaglyph shots
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 05:22:25 pm »

Is there any way to get a stereoscopic set for those of us who do not have Anaglyphs?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
3D anaglyph shots
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 05:41:22 pm »

Quote from: ddenn
Quote from: Worldsprayer
Is there any way to get a stereoscopic set for those of us who do not have Anaglyphs?
Do you mean two side-by-side pictures?

C. Shawn Smith

3D anaglyph shots
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 08:47:41 pm »

http://www.digital-photography-school.com/9-crazy-cross-eye-3d-photography-images-and-how-to-make-them

There are better websites than this one, but it's essentially the same concept.  Two images, separated by eye-spacing.  By "crossing" your eyes, you can see a "middle" image in 3d.

don't know if it's the artist in me or what, but it took me a LONG time before I could train my eyes to see these types of images.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
3D anaglyph shots
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 11:45:40 pm »

Quote from: cshawnsmith
it took me a LONG time before I could train my eyes to see these types of images.

I can do it if the images are small enough.. But more then half my screen and I can't do it.

I think the only way to do 3D right is with some multi-projector Fog hologram stuff. Would 120Hz and active shutter glasses be possible or not at full detail?
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

C. Shawn Smith

3D anaglyph shots
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 12:56:49 am »

I was the same way, Zeos.  Videos were problematic with that technique, unless I watched them multiple times and adjusted my focus each time, appropriately.  Still took two or three runs between each video before I got it right.  Chalking it up to "old age" and bad eye sight :).

Seriously interested in seeing videos of the anaglyph though.  I play Minecraft from time to time, and the difference is outstanding.  It'll be interesting to see this in Outerra.

ddenn

3D anaglyph shots
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 01:07:13 am »

Quote from: cameni
Quote from: ddenn
Quote from: Worldsprayer
Do you mean two side-by-side pictures?
Yes, left picture for right eye and right one for left eye. It's not easy to train your eyes to see the result, but worth it, anaglyph ruins the colors. And not everybody has anaglyph glasses.

About Outerra in Russian

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
3D anaglyph shots
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 01:42:27 am »

Anaglyph rendering is not yet integrated into the pipeline, I've tested it outside to see if it would be worth it. I was afraid if the inability to refocus won't ruin it in such large scenes, but it seems to be ok, at least for bright scenes where clone is narrow and everything stays focused.

We plan to test it on one of passive 3D (polarized) display like the new LG D2342P. With active (shutter glasses) displays the problem seems to be bigger as Nvidia's 3D Vision works only with DirectX, and under OpenGL you can only use professional Quadro or Fire GL cards. But we don't have enough of information about this yet.

Cross-eyed viewing - I understood that it works when separation between the images is less than 65mm, and is best used with portrait picture orientation. I'm untrained, so I can only provide you two separate pictures and someone skilled can assemble them.

ddenn

3D anaglyph shots
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 03:18:25 am »

Thanks, I think it would be easy. At least we can try :)

About Outerra in Russian

ddenn

3D anaglyph shots
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011, 04:45:02 am »

About Outerra in Russian

OGREMAN

3D anaglyph shots
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2011, 10:04:54 am »

Hi, I have just viewed for comparison the shots with anaglyph glasses and the alternate (twin image) using the cross eyed method, The anaglyph images were pretty dissapointing and even after allowing time to adjust to them the 3D effect was pretty poor. The reason that this was the case is that just like 60% of the male population, I have a degree of Red Green colour blindness. No matter how much I study the anaglyph images they always look Strange! Weird! Odd!

The Stereo images on the other hand were ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC both in clarity and depth of field, it may require a little "training" before you get it, but the result was outstanding.
You are absolutely right about the extra sense of 'peril' that 3D brings to that mountainside view... very enjoyable, and I would love to experience that degree of 3D while flying my helecopter in these mountains....., sorry about the drooling but Outerra graphics does that to me :-)).
`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves  Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:All mimsy were the borogoves,
  And the mome raths outgrabe.
\"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!  The jaws that bite, the claws that catch! Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun;  The frumious Bandersnatch!\"
Pages: [1] 2