Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Path following land vehicles.  (Read 3656 times)

Avi

Path following land vehicles.
« on: January 13, 2018, 05:42:19 am »

A quick question to the awesome developers of Outerra. The world of Outerra is great and I wish I could make a road on the mountains and select two points and have a vehicle follow the path. The ability to hop inside a vehicle and see the landscape pass by. Are you planning to have this incorporated anytime soon?

Lesnikus

Re: Path following land vehicles.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 03:09:20 pm »

Wow, there's someone alive here! Maybe this can be done with the help of Lua scripting?

andfly

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 04:07:24 pm »

A quick question to the awesome developers of Outerra. The world of Outerra is great and I wish I could make a road on the mountains and select two points and have a vehicle follow the path. The ability to hop inside a vehicle and see the landscape pass by. Are you planning to have this incorporated anytime soon?

The question was for developers, and I certainly do not want to replace them!
But the temptation to give an opinion is too strong ...

It is certainly possible to determine a point on the ground and make sure that a vehicle moves in that direction until it is reached.
https://forum.outerra.com/index.php?topic=3368.0
To follow a prefixed path as a road, perhaps tortuous, is certainly more complicated (but certainly not impossible).
It provides knowledge of the characteristics of the path that can be derived from the OSM import data that the developers are currently integrating into the engine.
Almost certainly, in the future, a certain volume of "road traffic" will also be created to animate the landscape and the cities, and this should answer your question.

A slight perplexity is derived from the desire to "hop inside a vehicle", completely automated, just to see "the landscape pass" ...

Use Outerra as a mere spectator? Like in a movie?

Currently you have the possibility to create a road with the characteristics you want and with the most tortuous and exhilarating path you want.
You can use one of the Outerra vehicles to follow it by DRIVING.
You can slow down in the corners, brake in the descents, face the steep climbs "revving up" the engine, accelerating in the straights ...
And at the same time, with the movement of the mouse, look around you and enjoy all the exciting features of the landscape ...

It would be a shame not to exploit the possibilities of interaction, already existing, which offers a magnificent simulation environment like Outerra.

A lot of emotion and involvement would be lost!
I do not know the English language. I use Google Translate. I hope it's all understandable.

Jagerbomber

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 01:13:42 am »

:)) :facepalm:

But not everyone wants to "drive" a screensaver.  =D
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P