Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Map for testing tile allocation  (Read 25568 times)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Map for testing tile allocation
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2011, 11:32:48 pm »

Quote from: yhwhluver
Quote from: ZeosPantera
I'd say that is plenty of very VALUABLE land

Doubt it since there will be nothing there.  It would be more valuable than somewhere landlocked because you have the ocean, though.

Most places of value today (Big Cities) are there because of the environment and paths they control. New York was a shipping port with access to the Atlantic Ocean and the Hudson river.

Does no good owning a diamond mine in north Dakota if you can't get it out of there. Keeping in mind PLANES DONT COUNT!! They didn't exist then and wont ever exist now.. Fail.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Grind and Click

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2011, 09:55:17 am »

Man, i am seeing my ArmA Online style Sim here so much.

Patroling your land with electronic warfare and detection aircraft, building ground forces to defend a perimeter....or transporting an assault force?

Spy aircraft to check on your neighbours...transport craft to build a hidden FOB and amass your assets.

I see it so much more now that you've confirmed these blocks as a purchase by purchase grid system.

yhwhluver

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2011, 11:27:27 am »

Most places of value today (Big Cities) are there because of the environment and paths they control. New York was a shipping port with access to the Atlantic Ocean and the Hudson river.

Does no good owning a diamond mine in north Dakota if you can't get it out of there. Keeping in mind PLANES DONT COUNT!! They didn't exist then and wont ever exist now.. Fail.

New York was also one of very few port cities in the new world, which is why it's so big.  It had a head start.  Yes it controls the Hudson River, but wouldn't you think New Orleans would be more valuable since it controls the Mississippi River and, therefore, most of the inland access to the US (looking at just the US for simplicity, there's obviously other such river access points around the world that are equally or more so valuable).  Basically, what I'm getting at is, if there's nothing there, then it would not be extremely valuable, but it would be more so than something land locked.  Depending on how the game starts out, you have to look at the world as a whole with a blank slate.  Obviously now, New York is extremely valuable along with a handful of other cities / areas, but with an empty world, and the ability to just choose any spot you want, things are on more of a level playing field.  On another note, why would planes not exist?  Cameni and Angry Pig have videos of them flying planes and helicopters.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2011, 11:33:08 am »

Lol, relax guy.. Planes do exist I just had to wish them away for my analogy to work 100%.

Also havent you heard of the great Manhattan Diamond Mines? I have.. :P
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Matt6767

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2011, 12:35:31 pm »

36 Tiles for Baytown, 50 tiles overall.

- Assuming boats will play a major part in resource and military transportation, I placed tiles over areas that will give me great access to the ocean.

- Each area is surrounded by water on 3 of the 4 sides. So If a ground attack is ever to occur it can only come from one side. No flanking attacks.

- Most of the forces will be guarding Galveston and Baytown so I don't have to waste time and military resources on the smaller territories.

- Sea Forces can only enter and leave through Galveston. My ships don't have to be scattered all over the place, just near my bases and the entrance.

The plan is set, now we wait.  :lol:

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2011, 01:17:06 pm »

Hmm, this raises one question, I thought the tiles will have to form a contiguous area, or else somebody could spread them all over the states. In the war state it would be stupid, but here in the peaceful world colonization game (at least initially peaceful)?

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2011, 01:33:14 pm »

Perhaps set it up to where the tiles can be selected within a particular radius of the initial selection, if you want to go that route.  However, making them contiguous at the start is a much better and more realistic model of initial recolonization.  Perhaps set it up to where you cannot claim new spots for X number of days/weeks/months, or set it to a certain level of your home area's economy.  Once you reach that level, you can either expand it contiguously, or claim another area within X number of kilometers from the home area (supply lines being crucial).
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

C. Shawn Smith

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2011, 01:42:25 pm »

By the way, how big are those tiles?  They appear to me to be around 2 or 3 kilometers?  You can practically cover my home town with just four of them :D

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2011, 01:46:42 pm »

Yes, roughly 2.5km wide.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2011, 02:03:19 pm »

Using minecraft's Towny mod as a base for this discussion in it you can buy chunks(16mx16m) to build a town. But you need to use your in-game money made from resource mining to buy the first chunk which is $75,000. Each additional chunk is $500.

In Outerra since we are basically GIVING everyone the first section for "free" maybe they need to pay off that "free" plot before they can expand. Prove that they have the skills to invest more land.

Maybe the mothership is loaded with real estate lawyers!

I think a strict limit of say 10 sections for a single user then when multi-player is enabled. A group can combine and the chunks can add up but not in a linear way. 10 for a single.. 15 for two people, 18 for three, 20 for four, and two additional blocks for each person thereafter. That way a city can be huge but it will have to have a large amount of people. You would then need to block certain abilities from smaller groups. Airports, distribution hub's and mega-highway machines could be reserved for cites with populations of 100, 250?

Perhaps a founder system. Where the city only "belongs" to founding members so people can keep their 10 slot plot and work for the city.

Then since web integration is so easy each City can get a forums to post plans, organize leaders and events. A community could literally be that.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2011, 03:35:06 pm »

In Outerra since we are basically GIVING everyone the first section for "free" maybe they need to pay off that "free" plot before they can expand. Prove that they have the skills to invest more land.
Yes, something like that. But I wonder if it cannot be done differently, like assigning the land automatically when you found a settlement, and expand the radius as the city grows.

I think a strict limit of say 10 sections for a single user then when multi-player is enabled. A group can combine and the chunks can add up but not in a linear way. 10 for a single.. 15 for two people, 18 for three, 20 for four, and two additional blocks for each person thereafter. That way a city can be huge but it will have to have a large amount of people. You would then need to block certain abilities from smaller groups. Airports, distribution hub's and mega-highway machines could be reserved for cites with populations of 100, 250?

Perhaps a founder system. Where the city only "belongs" to founding members so people can keep their 10 slot plot and work for the city.
Maybe something like that too, to encourage forming of higher state forms. Each player to have 10 tiles, an alliance of 3 to get +5 more, to be claimed by the ruler of the alliance and so on ...

C. Shawn Smith

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2011, 04:35:10 pm »

I'm wondering: Will this overlay tool be available within the engine like your Google Maps plugin?  Would be interesting to see it, especially if there is some sort of graphical overlay over the terrain that will also show you the land you'd be claiming.

Something like this:

Just a quick and dirty example using an image you posted a LONG time ago :)  Hard to believe the engine's come so far!

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2011, 05:00:11 pm »

Yes, I'm working on it. I'm thinking how it should look like, given that it's supposed to be drawn as a projection on the HUD. It will be probably a wireframe overlay that shows the topology, tile borders and highlights the surface a bit as well. Got to experiment with it a bit.

yhwhluver

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2011, 09:17:03 pm »

Lol, relax guy.. Planes do exist I just had to wish them away for my analogy to work 100%.

Also havent you heard of the great Manhattan Diamond Mines? I have.. :P

lol, are the mines owned by De Beers?  Even in the future they have a monopoly.

Quote from: cameni
Hmm, this raises one question, I thought the tiles will have to form a contiguous area, or else somebody could spread them all over the states. In the war state it would be stupid, but here in the peaceful world colonization game (at least initially peaceful)?

In case you couldn't tell, everyone is ready for war.  Just look at the way people are planning out tiles and getting ready for military defenses.  lol

C. Shawn Smith

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2011, 02:50:37 am »

Quote from: yhwhluver
In case you couldn't tell, everyone is ready for war.  Just look at the way people are planning out tiles and getting ready for military defenses.  lol

My "military defenses" are mainly in place for the Things-That-Want-To-Kill-You.  And Zeos.  I have no doubt he'll be on a murderous rampage across Northern America within a month or two, so I want to stop him ahead of time.  Maybe a well placed nuke will be effective.  I have no doubt my location has an abundance of Uranium, just for such an emergency :D  Drop one in what is left of downtown Manhattan, and problem solved :p
Pages: 1 [2] 3