Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bombing, air combat and aerobatics with the Upgraded Heinkel He 51: released  (Read 9864 times)

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder

It is my great pleasure to release here the latest upgrade of my heavily upgraded version (march 2020) of Levi's Heinkel He51 world-war-II plane
It is the result of a long scripting development and I have extensively tested it "in combat" :-)

While the original Heinkel model by Levi is very well done it lacks any functionality beyond the basic flight controls.
So I decided it would be a good model to add lots of new active functionalities and effects so to allow the plane to be used for more than
just carelessly flying around the outerra world as wonderful as it is.
The latest update includes a upgraded fly-by camera and a ground-camera, also the other camera views have been simplified for better use.
Some control keys have changed and some new ones have been added, highlighted in red in the COMMANDS section below.

The model can be used to actually carry out bombing attacks, air combat and for flying colourful aerobatic shows.
Especially fun is to fly the plane as a remote controlled plane (RC-plane) from a locked ground-camera view or a locked fly-by camera view
The plane is sensible to excessive forces and no longer can you take your pilot life for granted with this model !
Pay attention to land correctly, don't mistreat the plane in flight and keep watching out for anti-aircraft fire coming in that can kill you ! 

Download the model from here

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/j66b74676okxmna/AADeJKl-jol0-G3CNdw9iT8aa?dl=0

I recommend also to download my AI anti-aricraft gun which works in conjunction with this upgraded He51 model...so you can set up some war game level challenge
download FLAK from here https://forum.outerra.com/index.php?topic=3976.0

Installation:

1) click on self-installing Heinkel_He51_bombing.otx file 
This copies the new model into the folder  user/username/outerra/packages/fly77

2) copy the folders Heinkel_He51, bullet and bomb
into the existing Outerra/Anteworld/packages/outerra folder
note: these ammunition models are needed for the Heinkel machine gun and bombing functionalities. They are never seen in the game but you can access the models
in the scenery editor (F7 key) under assets searching for "bomb" and "bullet". The bomb model has been kindly provided by Revolver.

Both the damaged plane models as well as the new model will appear in outerra airplane menu with a new icon indicating "fly77"
note that the original Levi's Heinkel will not be overwritten as it is in Levi's package folder so you can still access the old model as well
but I think you won't need it any more.

Here are two videos showing the new functionalities in action.

Important notes:

if you want to fly more than one Heinkel (for instance for "air combat") disable "stop simulation in sandbox mode" in the outerra menu
otherwise spawning o second plane might lead to explode the first because apparently some values are calculated badly when simulation is stopped and resumed

The list of new features includes the following:

- Upgraded camera system including ground-camera, fly-by camera, formation flight camera, nose , tail and pilot camera
- drop bombs + explosions and fire on impact location
- objects both static and dynamic hit by bombs disappear (and reappear only after outerra is restarted)
- fire with machine gun
- shoot down other Heinkels in flight
- switch on colored smoke for aerobatic shows
- explode and burn if plane crashes into ground or into other objects and show corresponding damaged plane models for each livery.
- plane catches fire and stop motor when aerodynamic or ground forces on it get too strong
- plane explodes if forces are even stronger.
- when motor is damaged the propeller rotates determined by windspeed
- plane catches fire or explode when hit by machine guns (for instance coming from another Heinkel or from AI anti-aircraft gun. download FLAK from here https://forum.outerra.com/index.php?topic=3976.0.)
- when shooting at an AI anti-aircraft gun the you can temporarily damage it or kill it.
- sound of bullets hitting the Hienkel and of metal breaking squeeking when aerodynamic forces are too high.
- motor vibrations are visible
- wind sound
- HUD with information on pilot id, plane speed, attitude, altitude and armour
- autopilot for altitude and heading hold (useful if you want to spawn more Heinkels for air combat)
- landing and cockpit lights

These new features allow you for example:
make flying and landing more realistic, take care not to crash or catch fire !
enjoy the new camera views, especially the ground camera or airborne fly-by cameras both in locked or unlocked mode
air-to-ground attacks to destroy any outerra object
try to defeat AI antiaircraft defences
shoot down other Heinkels that you have previously spawned and eventually set into autopilot mode or not (AI planes is one of the next features that I like to addess)
enjoy aerobatic flight with colored smoke trails
etc..

COMMANDS

PLANE FLIGHT CONTROL  (keeps the original default key associations)

E :       switch on engine
B:       wheel brake
pgup :       throttle up
pgdwn:       throttle down
home:      mixture enrich
end:       mixture dilute
ins:      flaps increment
canc:           flaps decrement

AUTOPILOT

CTRL+B :      press once to arm autopilot, press twice to deactivate autopilot
CTRL+W :    autopilot keep current heading
CTRL+A :    autopilot keep altitude

LIGHTS
L :       switch on landing lights
shift+L :    switch on cockpit lights

WEAPONS

F         shoot with machine gun
.          drop bomb

SMOKE AND DAMAGE

shift+N :        activate/dactivate damage
R :      activate aerobatic smoke
shift + K   :      change color of both HUD and aerobatic smoke

CTRL+T    change HUD info
CTRL+S    disable HUD

ZOOM

numpad +   zoom in
numpad -   zoom out

CAMERA VIEWS

v: first person camera views press repeatedly to switch between different views..including also several flyby views
H:         increment flyby range
J:       decrement flyby range
K:       ground camera view
P:       lock flyby-camera / ground-camera position (useful for instance as tower view or for acrobatic/airshow flying)

0  : nose view
1  : pilot seat
2  : tail view
3  : airborne fly-by view or ground camera view depending on wether K key has been presses or not
4  : formation flight camera   

note: in the left bottom corner of the screen you will see useful information about the current camera settings
so not to get lost. The information includes:
- distance range of the fly-by camera
- indication wether ground camera is selected or not
- indication wether flyby/ground cameras are locked at a fixed position or not

EXITING AND REENTERING:

If you exit the plane it will now be paused (to avoid that it starts to jump around by its own)
When re-entering you need first to unpause the plane to switch the engine on by pressing SPACEBAR
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 12:05:17 pm by fly77 »

andfly

Before downloading the OTX and "investigating" I can't resist the desire to congratulate you!
A great job and the introduction of many fantastic innovative ideas.
(I am extremely curious to understand how you managed to "make" an aircraft heard when it is hit ... I will study your scripts)

I hope you will continue your work with the same enthusiasm as now!
Congratulations again!    :) :) :)
I do not know the English language. I use Google Translate. I hope it's all understandable.

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder

Hi andfly. Thank you for the congratulations. Would be wonderful to have you again with us maybe with new ideas...but I know and understand that not allways we are free to do what we wish.
Anyway i still hope that some day you will be back with some of your beautiful creations.

About how to make the plane knowing when it is hit it involves several things. I like to give you just some brief hints so you can find out faster where to look in the scripts

Each tracer shot can be assigned and id so the plane can know which type of bullet hit it...for instance in the FLAK script I set tracers shot from FLAK to value of 22

Code: [Select]
this.explosions.launch_tracer( this.flak_ecef,  {x:bulletspeed*this.flak_direc.x, y:bulletspeed*this.flak_direc.y, z:bulletspeed*this.flak_direc.z}, 2, {x:1.2,y:1.2, z:1.2},      0.2, 0.2, 0,   0, flaktracer[this.flakshot] , entid_flak , 22 );
similarly machine-gun tracer shot by Heinkel i set a id value of 12 ..etc

Any script can access any "landed tracers" shot from whatever plane or vehicle in outerra and retrieve lots of info on the id of tracer shot, impact location, type of object hit etc..

Code: [Select]
this.tvalue = this.explosions.landed_tracers()[0].value;
this.hitid =  this.explosions.landed_tracers()[0].hitid;
hitobject = this.ot_world.get_object(this.hitid);
url= hitobject.get_objurl();
if (!(url.match(/Heinkel_He51_bombing/g)===null)){....// the hit object is a Heinkel ...either my own which I am flying or another one so need to check which

hitpos = hitobject.get_pos();
this.hitdistance = Math.sqrt((hitpos.x - this.planepos.x)*(hitpos.x - this.planepos.x)+(hitpos.y - this.planepos.y)*(hitpos.y - this.planepos.y)+(hitpos.z - this.planepos.z)*(hitpos.z - this.planepos.z));

if (this.hitdistance<30){             // if the shot landed so close to the plane's position probably it is me that was hit.
    this.hitmecount++;
}

« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 01:59:06 pm by fly77 »

aWac9

Congratulations Fly, a great job .. now he is super fun. thank you very much for this contribution ...
a question .. How can I activate and deactivate the marks (letters) that appear on the plane .. it's fine to locate them, but ... can I deactivate them?
Thank you.

:) :) :)

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder

Hi aWac9 ! Thanks. I hope you enjoy the new plane with its new possibilities...especially in conjunction with the FLAK...you can build in the scenery editor a war game challenge.
For the labels... well for the moment the only way to disable them are to leave the plane in flyby camera view, but I will look for a new key assignment to disable the labels.. I guess they are disturbing you for video recording...will have a look into it as soon as possible.. Thanks once more and enjoy !!  ;)

andfly

Ahhh ...

Each tracer shot can be assigned and id so the plane can know which type of bullet hit it...

I don't think I'd ever get there alone ...
Great job of painstaking research and intuition ...

Thank you !  :)
I do not know the English language. I use Google Translate. I hope it's all understandable.

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder

well...me too without the kind help from cameni would not have got there....so I take the opportunity to thank cameni a lot for his patience in answering my many questions, helping me to advance in producing this and other models and those that I have in mind for the future.

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder

Here I am again aWac9.. I have update the otx file with a new command (CTRL+S) to disable the HUD.

Congratulations Fly, a great job .. now he is super fun. thank you very much for this contribution ...
a question .. How can I activate and deactivate the marks (letters) that appear on the plane .. it's fine to locate them, but ... can I deactivate them?
Thank you.

:) :) :)

« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 03:51:49 pm by fly77 »

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder

Sorry guys, I just now discovered a bug affecting air-combat and so have uploaded a new version of the otx file (time  16 july 2019 - 23h55) : If you have downloaded the file before this time, please redownload. Now everything is OK.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 06:04:17 pm by fly77 »

aWac9

fast video while we wait for updates.
:)

go, I'll end up recording songs with my guitar. >:(

« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 02:42:17 pm by aWac9 »

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder

sorry aWac9...its says "this video is not available"

aWac9

thanks fly77.

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder

I'm glad you enjoy !  :)

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder

Hi alltogether !
I have the pleasure to release a new update of my Heinkel_He51_bombing  mod.
The new upgrade includes
- the addition of a ground camera !
- stabilization of the airborne fly-by camera
- once exited the plane and moving away from it in ufo mode will no longer start to jump by itself and explode so you can park one Heinkel,
exit it and fly a second one to bomb into ashes your first Heinkel

Redownload the mod from above. Note that if you have already installed my previous Heinkel_He51_bombing  mod then you just need to click on the Heinkel_He51_bombing.otx as you have already installed the other files needed.

Here is a demonstrative video of the new ground camera and fly-by camera, showing how the possibility to lock the camera in a fixed place with the click of a button (the  P key)
you can enjoy some nice flying experience.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 12:07:55 pm by fly77 »

aWac9

that's great Fly ,, looks great.
another great contribution to the outerra community.
will have to prove it ...
Thank you thank you very much.

:)
Pages: [1] 2