Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Battlefield 3 Beta  (Read 21305 times)

mctash

Re: Battlefield 3 Beta
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2011, 06:17:45 pm »

I would love to play, but I freeze every time after 5 mins play with nasty scary red and blue artefacts. Tried every fix going lol, still no dice.

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2011, 06:31:56 pm »

What video card/drivers do you have installed?  If I remember correctly, BF3 required the beta Nvidia drivers.
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

mctash

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2011, 07:36:18 pm »

I have the latest, but I think its my fossil 9800GT that may be causing the problems :)

Dmytro Lyakh

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2011, 03:15:07 pm »

After seeing what a buggy glitchy crap BF3 is I can only applaud Outerra team striving to release quality product usable by everyone. You guys has some principles, unlike most major game development companies these times.

SpaceFlight

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2011, 03:40:43 pm »

I think it is a fun shooter.
Sure it has its bugs and it certainly is not flawless but IMO it is the best shooter out there right now (Red Orchestra 2 is not bad either but its different).
"You see, Killbots have a preset kill limit. Knowing their weakness, I sent wave after wave of my own men at them, until they reached their limit and shut down."
Zapp Brannigan

C. Shawn Smith

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2011, 04:06:41 pm »

After seeing what a buggy glitchy crap BF3 is I can only applaud Outerra team striving to release quality product usable by everyone. You guys has some principles, unlike most major game development companies these times.

The Beta was glitchy and frustrating, to be certain, but as the developers stated, it wasn't the release version of the game.  I think the current release version has a LOT fewer bugs and is more fun to play than the Beta.  I can still see some bugs and balance issues, but it's nothing out of the ordinary for any game release.

Dmytro Lyakh

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2011, 08:24:13 pm »

The Beta was glitchy and frustrating, to be certain, but as the developers stated, it wasn't the release version of the game.  I think the current release version has a LOT fewer bugs and is more fun to play than the Beta.  I can still see some bugs and balance issues, but it's nothing out of the ordinary for any game release.
Truth is they rushed the game to cut some sales of MW3 pie, which is coming 8/11/2011. As a result, the game has literally hundreds of different problems experienced by thousands of people.

Another problem is that BF3 by design is a console game. Current maps are way too small, especially for 64 players (heck, it's even small for 32 players as well, even Caspian Border), and choke point is the most favorite map design element used by DICE level designers.

I really hope that Outerra team has different standards of quality, and wont release product with "good enough quality" like major companies are doing all the time last few years.

mctash

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2011, 12:52:09 am »

Truth is they rushed the game to cut some sales of MW3 pie, which is coming 8/11/2011. As a result, the game has literally hundreds of different problems experienced by thousands of people.

Another problem is that BF3 by design is a console game. Current maps are way too small, especially for 64 players (heck, it's even small for 32 players as well, even Caspian Border), and choke point is the most favorite map design element used by DICE level designers.

I really hope that Outerra team has different standards of quality, and wont release product with "good enough quality" like major companies are doing all the time last few years.

Absolutely 10000000% this

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2011, 02:19:06 am »

I don't think you can compare it since we are going to use entirely different indie mode, releasing stuff in alpha state and providing updates all the way up to one marked "final", and then continuing ...

Major companies can do almost anything to you because in the end people will simply submit to the marketing. In fact, it may be MW3 that will be partly hit by the reflected wave of dissatisfaction over BF3, and BF3 guys are filling their coffers now.

C. Shawn Smith

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2011, 04:06:16 am »

Very true.  I'm considering writing a few articles regarding indy development, and how it differs from mainstream game development.  The fact is, indy development is a lot more open and honest than mainstream development, and in my opinion leads to better communication with it's community.  Take a look at Wolfire Games, and other such developers.  As someone who's been on the "inside" of game development, it's definitely a step in the right direction, imho.

In regards to BF3 ... I think most of the negative feedback has come from the beta testing, which was NOT the final version of the game.  After having played it the last few weeks, I can definitely see the disparity.  The game is much more polished than before, and I enjoy it a lot more than what I did previously.  Yes, there are still bugs, but they are no more nor less than what a typical game company faces.  The problem is that players are much more critical than they used to be, and expect more than what is realistic.

I have a 3d artist friend who is in the gaming industry, and I've listened to his rants and raves ad nauseum.  BF3 is NO different in it's bugs than any other game.

Cameni, and Angrypig, have fostered one of the best online communities I've seen in 12 years (and I do this for a living).  The lengths they go to is hands down the most impressive feat I've seen so far, and I will forever be grateful for that first email I sent to Cameni, asking specifics on the engine, and telling him my eventual goals for it :).  Out of half a dozen engines I'd looked at, only Cameni even bothered to talk to me about it.

That gives Outerra a +10 in my book, if not more ... even if I have to wait two or three more years before everything's in place for what I want.

Spudly

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2011, 03:39:49 pm »

BF3 is NO different in it's bugs than any other game.

I think this is most important to note.  I have been a huge fan of the BF series since 1942 and have played all of them apart from BC1 because it was console only.

Probably my biggest issue with BF3 is that it was clearly geared somewhat toward console players.  I'm mainly talking about the controls for vehicles, which are obviously dumbed down.  You can almost see a trend of difficulty in controls going down since the helicopters in Desert Combat(granted, this wasn't DICE).  Seriously, one of the worst things to happen to game difficulty and complexity is the console(or maybe the "average" console player).

That being said, I made a point of bumping the topic in the Battlelog forums about vehicle controls and how noob they felt.  It looks like they did change it up a bit, so I would say at least someone is listening.

For now, I'll get my shoot-em-up fix from BF3, my realism fix from Arma 2 and my helicopter flying fix from Take-on Helicopters(Or Outerra, though the rudder doesn't seem to work too well).

Cole Walker

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2011, 04:26:38 pm »

For now, I'll get my shoot-em-up fix from BF3, my realism fix from Arma 2 and my helicopter flying fix from Take-on Helicopters(Or Outerra, though the rudder doesn't seem to work too well).

That's exactly what I do now. Play a bit of BF3 for fun, then hop onto Arma when I feel like playing seriously.
But I really doubt that DICE will ever return to the BF2/MC style of game as they don't really appeal to the mass market, even though they're great games.

[deleted]

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2011, 06:45:47 am »

I have it, and it lags worse than beta and alpha because the server doesn't show ping and people who lags FOR REAL THE SERVER don't get kicked. The mp for me it's an epic fail until they fix this.

Spudly

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2011, 04:15:23 pm »

I have it, and it lags worse than beta and alpha because the server doesn't show ping and people who lags FOR REAL THE SERVER don't get kicked. The mp for me it's an epic fail until they fix this.

They rolled out a patch the other day for this... I was just filtering for region before that, but yeah, you can see pings now.

[deleted]

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2011, 01:15:23 pm »

The pings of THE SERVERS. But most of the times servers with 80 of ping looks like 400 of ping, and in the other games i have pings around 40-80 and 4-5 weeks passed but still no client patch... EA policy I just lost 50€
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 12:48:14 pm by secret1962 »
Pages: 1 [2]