Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Elevation Data  (Read 10132 times)

Simbuilder5

Elevation Data
« on: January 09, 2012, 03:18:53 pm »

Are you all using the 90m elevation data from http://srtm.csi.cgiar.org/ ?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: Elevation Data
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 03:45:43 pm »

Not these, but original SRTM data plus enhancements from http://www.viewfinderpanoramas.org/dem3.html

Jagerbomber

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 05:15:36 pm »

I want to see a higher resolution of my area in the US so bad.  :P  USGS has 1/3 for my area (and I believe of the entire US and even 1/9 in some spots).  Any chance of that actually happening or does it have too many flaws or something?  I just want to try it.  Haha.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 05:46:18 pm by Jagerbomber »
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

Orswell

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 09:12:19 pm »

I am interested in this too, I have LIDAR for Mt. Rainier (which someone put an airport on :P)

rubbish

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 11:04:34 am »

Is it possible to mix and match datasets, i.e. have a higher res dataset for a particular area of interest?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 11:54:20 am »

Technically it's possible, it's already used for oceans that come in 1km resolution (ocean depths). There are some issues with seamless transition when it's used on the land, we need to address that first.

Orswell

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 12:57:56 pm »

Is it just the mismatch in elevation cause extreme graphic issues or are you worried about ledges from the mismatch of data.  I'm not worried about the ledges,  i could smooth the edges to match srtm etc.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 01:07:37 pm »

A mismatch from elevation would be your responsibility; this is something else, tied to the architecture of terrain generator. Tiles that don't have source data in given resolution have to generate detail artificially. The problem is that neighbor tiles have to match the borders so there are no gapes when the data are further subdivided and fractal-refined. At the moment the mapping tool doesn't properly account for that, and it would create ugly gaps where the mesh doesn't quite fit.

Orswell

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 02:48:56 pm »

ok, thanks for the reply.  I've got the full alpha now and look forward to integrating some of my GIS data!