Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 19

Author Topic: demo ?  (Read 209643 times)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
demo ?
« Reply #105 on: December 19, 2010, 02:09:25 am »

Quote from: cameni
Apparently as we added multithreaded optimization - loading textures asynchronously from secondary OpenGL contexts - we are now getting BSODs on AMD. Better and better. :/

Awesome.. Why do I say that?

Because it is always darkest before the dawn.. And it don't get much darker then the BSOD.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Jagerbomber

demo ?
« Reply #106 on: December 19, 2010, 12:23:59 pm »

Quote from: ZeosPantera
Apparently as we added multithreaded optimization - loading textures asynchronously from secondary OpenGL contexts - we are now getting BSODs on AMD. Better and better. :/

Awesome.. Why do I say that?

Because it is always darkest before the dawn.. And it don't get much darker then the BSOD.

Unless your GPU, PSU, or screen dies and you get a BLACK screen of death! :P
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

Abc94

demo ?
« Reply #107 on: December 19, 2010, 01:56:15 pm »

Quote from: Jagerbomber
Unless your GPU, PSU, or screen dies and you get a BLACK screen of death! :P

:lol:

Do you think it's possible that the BSOD bug is the last or one of the last bugs holding the demo back from release?  (Also major thanks for taking the time to answer all of these small questions!)
"It costs over $400 000 to play for 12 seconds."     Heavy Weapons Guy on Outerra demo.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
demo ?
« Reply #108 on: December 19, 2010, 02:13:53 pm »

Quote from: Abc94
Do you think it's possible that the BSOD bug is the last or one of the last bugs holding the demo back from release?  (Also major thanks for taking the time to answer all of these small questions!)
I don't think so, seems like any time we use some new functionality there's a bug. Since we are mostly being blocked on the AMD front waiting for fixes, we continue developing and optimizing stuff using new extensions .. only to find new bugs that happen to shoot the program down even before the old bugs manifest. It almost looks like we are the only ones using the modern OpenGL functionality, or that we are using it in a nonstandard way that is often not working there. But I don't really know how it's possible.

On the other hand, OpenGL's way of including heaps of undefined behavior in the specification, without usually any way of alerting about doing something undefined, leads to tremendous amount of bugs. Just recently I've found one such bug - of course by pure chance - but I can't test if it changes the game because of the BSOD.

flightmaster

demo ?
« Reply #109 on: December 19, 2010, 08:04:19 pm »

I can finally see why so many people hate AMD :P

Jagerbomber

demo ?
« Reply #110 on: December 19, 2010, 09:25:37 pm »

ikrite?  I've had cards from both sides and had no issue that I knew about with either of them.

I've had a really hard time deciding on a card on the computer I want to build.  Technically AMD might still be slightly better atm performance-wise in some of the games that I like, but these AMD issues have made me lean towards the new GTX 570.
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
demo ?
« Reply #111 on: December 20, 2010, 03:05:04 am »

Quote from: flightmaster
I can finally see why so many people hate AMD :P

And I can see why it is important to be a fan-boy. To fight the Nvidia people..

Any place we can send our complaints to ATi? Maybe a petition to allow OT to see beta drivers in advance or SOMETHING!
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
demo ?
« Reply #112 on: December 20, 2010, 03:20:20 am »

We are getting the freshest drivers .. I'm afraid there's not much to do that could prioritize it, I expect our reports are not the only ones and they are busy fixing other stuff that gets the priority.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
demo ?
« Reply #113 on: December 20, 2010, 03:32:47 am »

We are getting the freshest drivers .. I'm afraid there's not much to do that could prioritize it, I expect our reports are not the only ones and they are busy fixing other stuff that gets the priority.

Then it sounds like it's time for them to re-prioritize..... or else.

RaikoRaufoss

• Blood may move the wheels of history, but only our cunning keeps the wheels oiled.
    • http://www.sabaton.net/
demo ?
« Reply #114 on: December 20, 2010, 06:21:49 pm »

Blue Screens of Death?!  Can't AMD fix their drivers?!?!  Getting angryyyyyyyyyy........
Far from the fame
Far away from the fame
But we still remember your name
Karel JanouĊĦek
We mourn the day that you died
So be our guide
CZECHOSLOVAKIA'S PRIDE!!!!!!

pico

• http://
demo ?
« Reply #115 on: December 21, 2010, 12:56:24 pm »

....so what system do i need to play the Demo?   :cool:

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
demo ?
« Reply #116 on: December 22, 2010, 09:52:38 am »

Quote from: Pico
....so what system do i need to play the Demo?   :cool:
I think minimum should be considered 8800GT (250GTS) with 512MB. It's been tried with 8600GT - works, but it doesn't have the reserve that would hide occasional peaks in computation.
Recommended is 460GTX with 1GB memory.

CPU - something with 2 cores.

razgriz 53992

demo ?
« Reply #117 on: December 22, 2010, 10:00:57 am »

How effectively does it use more CPU cores?

What would a 4-core Q8200 @ 2.33ghz, 4gb RAM, 9800GT 512mb, do? What sort of framerates would you reckon would be possible? It would be interesting to see considering the majority of flightsims I have played have pretty poor performance.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
demo ?
« Reply #118 on: December 22, 2010, 10:48:40 am »

The performance greatly depends on the GPU. CPU is not used that much, but it's expected that CPU will be utilized much more by systems simulation and addons.

Framerates - we know that FPS is used in flight simulators as universal measure of performance. But a stable frame rate fixed to the screen refresh gives much smoother experience while not wasting power that can be in turn used better for addons and out-of-order jobs that would otherwise impact the overall smoothness. Thus FPS are normally capped to 30 here, but lets say we could use raw FPS count to express what reserve there is in the system for additional graphics processing. Note that the reserve applies to graphic tasks only - addons that use mostly the CPU won't affect it.

9800GT is the same as 8800GT, you'll be getting 30fps safely in most locations except the ones that suffer from the not-yet-implemented occlusion - but nothing will be released before the occlusion is in anyway.

razgriz 53992

demo ?
« Reply #119 on: December 22, 2010, 12:45:05 pm »

9800GT is the same as 8800GT, you'll be getting 30fps safely in most locations except the ones that suffer from the not-yet-implemented occlusion - but nothing will be released before the occlusion is in anyway.

:o

Will it be possible to switch occlusion off if you wish to change the FPS-Detail balance?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 19