Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Zombie survival game  (Read 51622 times)

SpaceFlight

Zombie survival game
« on: May 11, 2012, 05:26:33 am »

Just came across this article: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/05/10/thank-you-for-the-dayz-part-zero/

A zombie survival mod for Arma2.
It has free roaming, multiplayer (50 per server) and zombies. You can team up with other players and shoot the zombies, or shoot other players or both. Its a fight for survival, supplies and weapons and it features permadeath (you can respawn on a beach, but loose all your acquired stuff).

I think something like this could be a great addon/mod idea for a certain engine, possibly early on once addons/mods can be made for it, as it does not necessarily require complex game mechanics. Just exploring, getting stuff, and trying to stay alive as long as possible. And zombies of course.

But with such a big world it would need lots and lots more players.  :P
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 06:20:26 am by SpaceFlight »
"You see, Killbots have a preset kill limit. Knowing their weakness, I sent wave after wave of my own men at them, until they reached their limit and shut down."
Zapp Brannigan

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Re: Zombie survival game
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 12:33:01 pm »

Started playing yesterday.

We will see how well this goes.

"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Matt6767

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 03:20:20 pm »

They really need to increase the amount of supplies to be found as I walked for 3 hours across a few of the towns and I only found at most a can of food and a pistol clip that I couldn't even use. They didn't let us use a map and therefore it was difficult for parties to be formed. Not to mention it made it easier for any badass wannabe bandits to escape from the murder scene. Still it's pretty fun.

I would love to have a simpler version of the DayZ mod on the Outerra engine. Then it becomes the greatest zombie game of all time.  ;D

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 03:41:17 pm »

Supplies are limited. HOWEVER I found a fishing boat with a quarter tank.. Two gas cans to fill it in Electro to half a tank.. Get murdered by some son of a bitch with the boat safely hidden.. Then come across the mother load in the power station above electro with like 15 makaov mags, extra flairs, 6 cans of beans, A Lee Enfield with two clips and an M16 with a single 30rd Mag.

I then left the server because I am so afraid of being raided. Lucky for me I have friends on the way.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

DurMan667

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 03:05:53 am »

Zombies?  Lame.

SpaceFlight

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 04:35:32 am »

Zombies?  Lame.

I used to think the same thing, Zombies have been done to death basically in movies and games.
After I watched the first season of "Walking Dead" I thought maybe zombies are not dead yet. I quite enjoyed the show.
Now I think a zombie survival addon/mod for Outerra maybe a cool thing actually and perhaps not too difficult to make, though it is still a long way until this is possible. But having choices in what you want to play in OT is what I am looking forward to the most in this regard.
"You see, Killbots have a preset kill limit. Knowing their weakness, I sent wave after wave of my own men at them, until they reached their limit and shut down."
Zapp Brannigan

RaikoRaufoss

• Blood may move the wheels of history, but only our cunning keeps the wheels oiled.
    • http://www.sabaton.net/
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2012, 09:51:39 am »

Zombies?  Lame.
I agree.  They've been done to death, not to mention it's a physical impossibility (dead bodies with no working circulatory system whose muscles are using what oxygen in order to move?).  To me, it's rather annoying.
Far from the fame
Far away from the fame
But we still remember your name
Karel JanouĊĦek
We mourn the day that you died
So be our guide
CZECHOSLOVAKIA'S PRIDE!!!!!!

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2012, 01:57:15 pm »

In Left 4 Dead they are just "infected" with Super Rabies. I still call them zombies if I feel like.

I guess any wild humanoid creature that is both stupid and wants to eat you could be considered a zombie.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 02:49:57 am by ZeosPantera »

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2012, 10:07:44 pm »

Zombies?  Lame.
I agree.  They've been done to death, not to mention it's a physical impossibility (dead bodies with no working circulatory system whose muscles are using what oxygen in order to move?).  To me, it's rather annoying.

There's actually a scientific article running around (and a major best-selling non-fiction book based on the article) that posits that a Zombie plague could indeed be created artificially.  I'll have to see if I can dig it up.

The only thing stopping the dead from walking is the firing of neurons in the brain.  Well, rigor too. :D
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

ChookWantan

• They call me Chook.
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2012, 01:37:47 am »

As much as the zombie genre has been done to death, I just find something oddly romantic about the idea. I still find the zombie apocalypse an interesting thing to ponder to this day, regardless of how silly the concept is.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.

DurMan667

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2012, 08:56:44 am »

I'd rather see Lovecraftian Deep Ones swarming out of the sea.  Much cooler and FAR less done than stupid crappy zombies.

atazs

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 03:09:42 pm »

Just came across this article: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/05/10/thank-you-for-the-dayz-part-zero/

A zombie survival mod for Arma2.
It has free roaming, multiplayer (50 per server) and zombies. You can team up with other players and shoot the zombies, or shoot other players or both. Its a fight for survival, supplies and weapons and it features permadeath (you can respawn on a beach, but loose all your acquired stuff).

I think something like this could be a great addon/mod idea for a certain engine, possibly early on once addons/mods can be made for it, as it does not necessarily require complex game mechanics. Just exploring, getting stuff, and trying to stay alive as long as possible. And zombies of course.

But with such a big world it would need lots and lots more players.  :P
http://www.thedeadlinger.com/
While there isnt much screenshots or videos of the dead linger and its heavily in the works, its going to be much better then dayz for arma 2. That is if they implement everything they promised

ChookWantan

• They call me Chook.
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2012, 01:34:17 am »

But Day Z is still in alpha, and I think once it is finished (or in Beta even) it will be much much better. Even as it is, it is the best zombie game that I have ever played.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2012, 02:00:22 am »

Being made by a BI employee and having the game officially patched to support the mod better will certainly help it.

As started www.reddit.com/r/arma/comments/tra1x/it_is_a_sad_day_for_rarma/

"As a guy on the server once said, one thing he learned from a zombie Apocalypse... he won't have to worry about the zombies..."

PTTG

• The following post is procedurally generated:
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2012, 11:47:33 am »

Romance stories have been done to death, too.

The point isn't to tell a fantastic intricate fictional story, it's to set players up in a setting they understand and can immediately start playing in.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4