Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Multiples cores processing  (Read 19819 times)

Luis Vargas

Multiples cores processing
« on: August 20, 2010, 04:46:31 am »

Hi, does Outerra engine have hability for multiples cores processing?  Please, let us know about this.
E8600 3.33 Ghz / GTX570 1280 MB / 4 GB DDR2-800 / SATA2 7200 RPM / PSU Corsair AX850W / Samsung monitor 27" / Windows XP PRO

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 05:37:31 am »

Outerra uses multiple cores for asynchronous rendering tasks, but what's more important it heavily uses GPU, leaving CPU cores for actual simulation or game code.

Airhogg

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 02:37:33 am »

That's what I'm talkin' about!  As my 4 year old would say... "That makes my heart smile!"

How about SLI, multi-monitor support and 3D (as in something like Nvidia 3D Vision Surround)???  Also, can I ask what the computer specs are of the videos that were taken.... so I can start planning my next purchase?

It's not rocket science to know that in flight simming: the smoother the graphics, the greater the suspension of disbelief.  My framerate is fine in MS FSX (when I'm flying in rural areas), but the all too often jitters and pauses kill the moment.  What is drawing my attention to your creation is that the video samples show ELEGANT SMOOTHNESS!  I know the eye-candy will come later, but add actual airport/navaid data to just your current progress and you'll have the beginning of where MS dropped the ball.  Not to mention many happy simmers.

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 02:49:28 am »

I have the same problem in FSX.  My system a year ago wasn't too shabby, but FSX demands way too much on the CPU to allow me to do what I want.  I'd be interested in knowing the system specs of the machines rendering the videos myself.

I know procedural (fractal) generation is much more processor (whether CPU or GPU) friendly ... but still, I'm worried that I'll have to upgrade soon (which I should anyway =P)
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 03:10:18 am »

Quote from: Airhogg
How about SLI, multi-monitor support and 3D (as in something like Nvidia 3D Vision Surround)???  Also, can I ask what the computer specs are of the videos that were taken.... so I can start planning my next purchase?
Didn't test any of these yet.

The computers had Nvidia GTS250 (=8800GT,9800GT) cards, but we now upgraded to GTX460 cards, what gave it quite a boost, these cards seem to be really good for the price. However, GTS250 cards are sufficient. The only thing needed is occlusion culling because without it the engine renders insane amount of invisible slopes and peaks in mountains, when actually it should render less in such heavily occluded areas.
The slowest card tested was Nvidia 9600GT.
Yup and it should have at least 512MB on GPU memory.

CPU is not that important, but it should be at least 2 cores so that side jobs do not interfere with main rendering thread.

Fractal generation is GPU friendly, I wouldn't say it's CPU friendly. Although, Outerra's grandpa used on-CPU generation of the fractals, and it kind of worked. Still, it became really feasible only with the ascent of programmable GPU shaders.

Here's an image from O'grandpa (from 2001):
[img=grandpa]http://www.outerra.com/cameni/2001/tes32.jpg[/img]

Airhogg

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 03:31:22 am »

Soooooo you're saying I don't have to upgrade.....  It's 3:30 a.m. and I suddenly feel the need to run around the yard a few times... BRB!

Nice image BTW!  I'll make that my first float plane landing when alpha arrives.  :cool:

corona

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 06:15:33 am »

Not be be a downer here, but everybody should remember that although pretty, really the only thing in yet are trees and a few buildings. Pick a remote area like that in FSX and you'll get insane framerates too.

That is not to say Outerra will be plagueged by the same problems as FSX once it gets detailed airports and cities, or even weather and water shaders and some such, but I just mean you have to be realistic. I have no doubt it'll run better than FSX even with all these things, just don't expect wonders.

In the absolute least we shifted graphics heavily towards the gpu and so should have plenty of cpu power to handle detailed addon-planes. That is what I am most excited about (and the much prettier graphics of course).

And cameni, I'm still waiting to test on my HD2600XT, I even won the forum competition where we agreed the winner would get an early build. Well ok, I created the competition myself and set the prices myself, but still..... hehe ;-)

Cid250

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 06:52:53 am »

Quote from: cameni
The only thing needed is occlusion culling because without it the engine renders insane amount of invisible slopes and peaks in mountains, when actually it should render less in such heavily occluded areas.

You mean that your engine hasn't occlusion culling yet?.

It's planed to include occlusion culling in next version?... or will be discarded for latter in the future, due to the complex implementation of an efficient occlusion culling?.

Do you have any time estimation for occlusion culling?.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 07:52:49 am »

Quote from: corona
And cameni, I'm still waiting to test on my HD2600XT, I even won the forum competition where we agreed the winner would get an early build. Well ok, I created the competition myself and set the prices myself, but still..... hehe ;-)
Why don't you take the last step yourself too :D

Btw how much memory has the card got? It's on the bottom of theoretically supported card range already, but if it's got less than 512MB you'll get only a version that can't go below 30.000ft :)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 07:56:10 am »

Quote from: Cid250
You mean that your engine hasn't occlusion culling yet?.
Yes, I meant precisely that.
We are working on implementing the occlusion using hardware queries right now, currently being in an optimization and bug fixing phase.

corona

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2010, 08:21:08 am »

Why don't you take the last step yourself too :D
What's the last step? Programming the engine myself....lol?
Btw how much memory has the card got? It's on the bottom of theoretically supported card range already, but if it's got less than 512MB you'll get only a version that can't go below 30.000ft :)

Looks like we have liftoff (actually I thought I had 256mb only, but it's been a while since I bought it).

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2010, 01:35:56 pm »

Quote from: Cid250
Do you have any time estimation for occlusion culling?.
I've found one estimate here www.250-hispana.com

Cid, why do you think it should take a year?
I feel people waiting for demo would bear it badly :)

Airhogg

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2010, 01:45:05 pm »

Not be be a downer here, but everybody should remember that although pretty, really the only thing in yet are trees and a few buildings. Pick a remote area like that in FSX and you'll get insane framerates too.

That is not to say Outerra will be plagueged by the same problems as FSX once it gets detailed airports and cities, or even weather and water shaders and some such, but I just mean you have to be realistic. I have no doubt it'll run better than FSX even with all these things, just don't expect wonders.

In the absolute least we shifted graphics heavily towards the gpu and so should have plenty of cpu power to handle detailed addon-planes. That is what I am most excited about (and the much prettier graphics of course).

I agree Corona, but I have high expectations with the move toward heavy GPU utilization.... it HAS to be better than FSX for that reason alone.

RaikoRaufoss

• Blood may move the wheels of history, but only our cunning keeps the wheels oiled.
    • http://www.sabaton.net/
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2010, 01:46:52 pm »

It already is better, but it can be even better still.  Which is why cameni and angrypig are going to continue working.
Far from the fame
Far away from the fame
But we still remember your name
Karel JanouĊĦek
We mourn the day that you died
So be our guide
CZECHOSLOVAKIA'S PRIDE!!!!!!

Luis Vargas

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2010, 04:27:33 pm »

I have a Core 2 Duo 3.33 Ghz (Intel E8600), 4 GB DDR2-800 and a Nvida GTS250 with 512 MB. I hope with these specs I will can have consistents 24+ FPS in all sceneries. If I get this, I'll throw my FSX in the trash!
E8600 3.33 Ghz / GTX570 1280 MB / 4 GB DDR2-800 / SATA2 7200 RPM / PSU Corsair AX850W / Samsung monitor 27" / Windows XP PRO
Pages: [1] 2