Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 42

Author Topic: (old) 0.7.12 version branch  (Read 291767 times)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: Development version: 0.7.12.3333
« Reply #435 on: October 07, 2012, 02:04:02 pm »

No, the shadow fix is done by applying a depth correction in the pixel shaders, which slows down the object rendering though. The whole problem lies in that even though the hardware moved from a fixed pipeline to a programmable one a long time ago, depth interpolation is one of the last bastions of the fixed pipeline and it complicates our job a lot. I'll be writing a blog about it, mainly in hopes to get it addressed in the newer iterations of graphics cards.

For existing hardware we'll be trying adaptive tesselation in order to get some of the performance back.
It doesn't apply to the water, it looks more repetitive on it because we have fixed the lighting and the repetitiveness shows more. But the water will be updated in one of the next iterations, it was always planned so, the current water was just a base version.

Midviki

• Nothing matters... but everything is important.
« Reply #436 on: October 07, 2012, 02:11:29 pm »

Hehe... I'm glad the shadow thingy went away, it was a bit bothering to the eye.. but I guess Zeos "the Pantera" will have a hard time playing with his 11k mesh tanks now :D
ATI AMD RADEON HD 6670

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #437 on: October 07, 2012, 02:19:46 pm »

I guess Zeos "the Pantera" will have a hard time playing with his 11k mesh tanks now :D

My 4000 series is the only thing giving me a hard time.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Midviki

• Nothing matters... but everything is important.
« Reply #438 on: October 07, 2012, 02:28:15 pm »

My 4000 series is the only thing giving me a hard time.

I live in an Eastern Europe country where a 6000 series is as much as a minimum wage salary and a 7000 series is twice my mother's monthly pension.
But you can do how I did.Every month put aside 10-20% of your salary money or if your at school ask always for money for food or stuff that you cannot prove you bought them, like if you ask money for food from your parents, that doesn't mean you need to eat candies with them, you keep them on your piggy bank.I remember starting my new computer with no video card, just 2gb's of ram. The money that I have kept under the mat for over a year I manage to buy the basics.. and then in another half year I started adding stuff.Anyway.. just an idea for you Zeos.
ATI AMD RADEON HD 6670

RaikoRaufoss

• Blood may move the wheels of history, but only our cunning keeps the wheels oiled.
    • http://www.sabaton.net/
« Reply #439 on: October 07, 2012, 10:32:28 pm »

I live in an Eastern Europe country where a 6000 series is as much as a minimum wage salary and a 7000 series is twice my mother's monthly pension.
But you can do how I did.Every month put aside 10-20% of your salary money or if your at school ask always for money for food or stuff that you cannot prove you bought them, like if you ask money for food from your parents, that doesn't mean you need to eat candies with them, you keep them on your piggy bank.I remember starting my new computer with no video card, just 2gb's of ram. The money that I have kept under the mat for over a year I manage to buy the basics.. and then in another half year I started adding stuff.Anyway.. just an idea for you Zeos.
Wise ideas.  Of course, the cost depends on the card in the series.  You can have single GPU cards ranging from HD 6450 (USD 35-58) to 6950 (USD 180-280), and HD 7750 (USD 90-120) to 7970 GHz edition (USD 400-700).  Your own HD 6670 currently costs USD 70 on Newegg.
Far from the fame
Far away from the fame
But we still remember your name
Karel JanouĊĦek
We mourn the day that you died
So be our guide
CZECHOSLOVAKIA'S PRIDE!!!!!!

murkz

• The Antisocial Gamer
« Reply #440 on: October 08, 2012, 03:02:18 am »

Hi Outerra,

Thank you for the new release and fixes, they look great.

Though I have few new issues since the patch: The geometry of the model seems to vanish as you get closer to the model and the skins of the panther now look very shiny.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #441 on: October 08, 2012, 03:16:22 am »

At least we know how to make a wet surface :D

I will deal with the vanishing geometry, and for the change in material rendering we all patiently wait until Angrypig provides some docs. Or hints. Anything :)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #442 on: October 08, 2012, 03:27:37 am »

Wow. Pooped my pants a little seeing that there.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

angrypig

« Reply #443 on: October 08, 2012, 09:04:48 am »

The material looks like a wet because the "m" parameter in your material is too low which means that material is smooth/shiny, "m" defines material's roughness it can be provided by texture too. For tank material you should use values above 0.5 because those materials are usually matte for good reason. :)

murkz

• The Antisocial Gamer
« Reply #444 on: October 08, 2012, 09:12:57 am »

The material looks like a wet because the "m" parameter in your material is too low which means that material is smooth/shiny, "m" defines material's roughness it can be provided by texture too. For tank material you should use values above 0.5 because those materials are usually matte for good reason. :)

Thank you for the reply AP, will go and investigate now :)

murkz

• The Antisocial Gamer
« Reply #445 on: October 08, 2012, 09:24:27 am »

Thank you for the reply AP, will go and investigate now :)

If this is done correctly then nothing has changed?

AP please advise me where I am going wrong.

angrypig

« Reply #446 on: October 08, 2012, 10:39:05 am »

Try to remove specular textures because our roughness texture works in different way than usual specular textures.

- in case the roughness textures is used you should set the "m" parameter to 1.0, in this case this is simple multiplier.
- if you want to use your specular texture you have to invert/negate them, because 1 means matte and 0 means shinny and in specular texture it is exact opposite, there are other differences but simple invert/negative should be enough. If you want to use correct values in texture the formula which is used for conversion from roughness to blinn/phong glosiness is:
Code: [Select]
2.0 / (roughness * roughness) - 2.0

Bartolomeus

• VirtualTechArt Design
« Reply #447 on: October 08, 2012, 04:26:01 pm »

Thx for the new update. Looks better now with ships and subs! ;)

Marko

ddenn

« Reply #448 on: October 09, 2012, 02:42:07 pm »

Is there a way for simple addon installation? As far as I see right now to install aircraft user needs to open Outerra, import the addon from DAE format (chose right object to import and check all the bones for animations), exit Outerra, place .js script, .matlib and .objdev files to /packages/ folder and flight dynamic files into /jsbsim/aircraft/[addon name] folder (and some of them in /Engine/ subfolder), start Outerra and hope that nothing went wrong.

And is it possible to make all FDM files store in the addon directory? Subfolder /jsbsim/ maybe
i7 3930K 3.50 (3.80) Ghz, 32Gb RAM, GTX980 4 Gb VRAM, Windows 7 64-bit

About Outerra in Russian

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #449 on: October 09, 2012, 04:07:36 pm »

You just need to distribute the resulting package folder. You don't distribute the DAE file at all!

When you import your model, a folder under packages/yourname/ in OT data dir is created. You need to pack that folder for the users, preferably including the whole packages/ddenn/ path there, and instruct the users to unpack it in their data directory.
Additionally it should contain also the FDM file, but I'm not sure if it can be included in the package folder now, probably not yet. But we'll fix it.

Anyway, once finished the importer will also pack it automatically and create a single packed model file that will simplify it completely.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 42