Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Grand Canyon  (Read 35094 times)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Grand Canyon
« on: August 27, 2010, 05:05:48 pm »

Because of multiple guys requesting Grand Canyon screenshots/videos, claiming that they don't care if it's filled with trees and with wrong rock pattern and textures on the walls currently, here's a quickly made video of a fast flight through it. Second part also with Google maps overlay.

Erosion style and rock texturing will be later determined by extended land class information, and driven by displacement maps characteristic for given rock type. This video will be deleted then :)

« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 08:41:16 am by cameni »

Blockaderunner

Grand Canyon
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 05:13:20 pm »

yeah. there's a strong resemblance)

don't you afraid that landclass data will be very huge?
Core: AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition / Motherboard: Asus M4A78E /
Graphics: ZOTAC nVidia GeForce GTX260 / RAM: DDR2 Kingston HyperX 2 x 2Gb [1066Mhz] /
HDD: WD Caviar Blue 500Gb

corona

Grand Canyon
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 05:19:24 pm »

Quote from: cameni
Because of multiple guys requesting Grand Canyon screenshots/videos, claiming that they don't care if it's filled with trees and with wrong rock pattern and textures on the walls currently, here's a quickly made video of a fast flight through it. Second part also with Google maps overlay.

Erosion style and rock texturing will be later determined by extended land class information, and driven by displacement maps characteristic for given rock type. This video will be deleted then :)

Just.....WOW!
I'll probably spend a hours upon hours just exploring once I get my hands on the demo.
Seriously....I'm mighty impressed!

Abc94

Grand Canyon
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 05:21:28 pm »

Great Stuff!  I liked how you zoomed out at the end.

Even though you're planning on deleting later because there currently is only one land class, maybe you should upload this to MODDB.  I'm pretty sure that most people don't mind the Grand Canyon looking like the Canadian Rockies knowing that Outerra is still early in developement.
"It costs over $400 000 to play for 12 seconds."     Heavy Weapons Guy on Outerra demo.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Grand Canyon
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 05:22:26 pm »

Quote from: Blockaderunner
don't you afraid that landclass data will be very huge?
No, considerably smaller than elevation data - should be additional 100-300MB, and only a tiny portion of it will be used at one place on Earth.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Grand Canyon
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 05:30:16 pm »

Quote from: Abc94
Even though you're planning on deleting later because there currently is only one land class, maybe you should upload this to MODDB.  I'm pretty sure that most people don't mind the Grand Canyon looking like the Canadian Rockies knowing that Outerra is still early in developement.
Well, I don't like how it looks, and I've hesitated to post it too. It was created just because cshawnsmith and ZeosPanthera and some others asked for it and asserted that it's no problem. Still, it's a canyon profanation of a kind :D

RaikoRaufoss

• Blood may move the wheels of history, but only our cunning keeps the wheels oiled.
    • http://www.sabaton.net/
Grand Canyon
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 07:39:34 pm »

Not perfect, but amazing nonetheless!
Far from the fame
Far away from the fame
But we still remember your name
Karel JanouĊĦek
We mourn the day that you died
So be our guide
CZECHOSLOVAKIA'S PRIDE!!!!!!

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
Grand Canyon
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 07:49:47 pm »

Well, I don't like how it looks, and I've hesitated to post it too. It was created just because cshawnsmith and ZeosPanthera and some others asked for it and asserted that it's no problem. Still, it's a canyon profanation of a kind

I almost blew my drink out of my nose when I read that last part lol.

I sort of liked this version of the Canyon, even if it was a bit of an unorthodox version.  Now if I can just last long enough to see the final product :).
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

AWM Mars

• http://www.yourinside.com
Grand Canyon
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2010, 05:16:39 am »

It doesn't take much imagination to apply the correct terrain in your mind while watching this. Simply because of the detail of the contours, the accuracy of the elevation and scale perspective. Well done you guys, an amazing job, keep them coming.... now there is this ditch down the bottom of my garden, I'm sure it would make an excellent fly throu.........
Politeness is priceless when received, cost nothing to own or give, yet some cannot afford.

Abc94

Grand Canyon
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2010, 03:38:38 pm »

Quick!  Everyone start asking Cameni to make a video of a tatra driving down Mount Everest even though the truck will sink into the moutain side!

Nah just kidding.  I think for this one it's better to wait for physics to use horizontally displaced terrain and also maybe for a damage model for the Tatra, although I'm sure it will still make for an entertaining video even with the truck sinking!  :P

And great job being so active on the fourms answering everyones questions!  You're building a very strong community.
"It costs over $400 000 to play for 12 seconds."     Heavy Weapons Guy on Outerra demo.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Grand Canyon
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 03:00:50 am »

I go away for one day and look what I miss. Bravo.

It looks much as I suspected, very nice. The google maps overlay was a nice touch. Other than the Mariana trench http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mariana_Trench I cant think of any other REALLY profound spots on earth where it would be instantly recognizable from just the landscape.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Grand Canyon
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 03:45:27 am »

Actually, Watching this for the ump-teenth time I just realized the river is missing. So that brings up a good question. Will Outerra be getting its data for lakes, rivers and streams from the same resources as the terrain data and procedurally generating them?
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Grand Canyon
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 06:09:17 am »

Rivers exist in vector form, so the riverbeds will be implemented as roads with a special profile, and a shader for water.
Lakes are different, terrain must be adjusted so it copies the bottom, and another water shader for surface.

Michael :)

Grand Canyon
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2010, 08:18:35 am »

I really like this. Although, a true grand canyon rock color would impress even more.
But  this is stunning.

For the rivers, will there be different sizes, too? Like the grand canyon river is a relatively big one. what about small rivers? will they be automatically vectorized, too? and of course then displayed according to its real size within the engine?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Grand Canyon
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2010, 08:32:45 am »

Like the roads. Width is a parameter for each spline node so it can be widening downstream too.
Rivers will be created from the available vector data only, if you want to have a small local stream there it can be added simply as you would add a road. We won't be "vectorizing" rivers automatically (from what?), not for Earth. For artificial planets later, river creation will be a part of the coarse world creation algorithm.
Pages: [1] 2 3