Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Helicopters are coming  (Read 62486 times)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Helicopters are coming
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2010, 02:38:33 pm »

Well, I thought that the difference would be in enabling automatic controllers over the same control model. A stabilizer for helicopters, or some scripts to handle some JSBSim variables. Certainly not doing another separate control system for it, no.

I didn't mean offended, more like .. uhm .. easily frustrated? :)

corona

Helicopters are coming
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2010, 02:47:24 pm »

What the f* do you mean, easily frustrated? Are you f* kidding me? HUH?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Helicopters are coming
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2010, 02:58:11 pm »

Hehe, now what did I say? Disgusted? Put off? :)

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
Helicopters are coming
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2010, 03:08:02 pm »

Quote from: corona
Also, I'm not offended :-)
Quote from: corona
What the f* do you mean, easily frustrated? Are you f* kidding me? HUH?

Sarcasm?  I hope :)

On topic, doesn't FSX also have a basic and advanced flight control?  Basic for the novices, with a few extra bells and whistles to make it feel realistic, and an advanced mode that only a true pilot could enjoy?  Not saying that FSX does the best in realism to begin with.
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

C. Shawn Smith

Helicopters are coming
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2010, 03:14:22 pm »

By the way, Cam, you need to do a desktop wallpaper screenshot of a fleet of the helicopters riding low to the ground towards Fractalopolis, like an invading air force :D

corona

Helicopters are coming
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2010, 03:31:24 pm »

FSX does have some realism sliders/options, simple ones such as unlimited fuel, automixture and auto-rudder and the like, and some sliders for things like crash tolerance and gyro and I believe torque. But nothing that truely changes the flight feel.
It also offers some some shurtcuts, for instance to start the engines, or aut. set the altimeter.

But my experience with these keyboard/mouse style games is far more arcrady then fsx with all these helpers on.

Personally I see 3 types of "flyers". Arcade type flyers who just want to enjoy scenerary and shoot at stuff, intermediate flyers who enjoy a bit more realistic planes, such as the default MSFS offerings, and people who strive for every bit of realism they can get, they are seperated by mostly systems depth, as opposed to flight handling, which seperates the first two, along with very simplified systems.

Now, let's only look at the first two groups, nobody expect Outerra to cater for the third, this is where aftermarket comes in. Realistic planes take years upon years to simulate right.

If Outerra Product X wants to cater to both these groups at the same time, then IMO they will need two seperate vehicles (eg. Two Apaches). They can use the same external model, but I don't think the two groups will want eg. the same weapons systems/display. Or the same hud. Or the same Autopilot. Or the same Radio panel. Or the same GPS device. Using a middle-ground for systems, and just switching out the handling will leave neither group happy. That was my point, I might be wrong. Does that make sense?

And yes, it was my (poor) attempt to light things up a little around here, thread appeared to deteriorate (which was my fault, admittingly).

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Helicopters are coming
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2010, 03:49:05 pm »

Currently the controls/binding to JSBSim variables is very simple, just the main ones are used and these should be easily automated so that a simpler control box is used for arcade mode. Don't expect the demo to initially contain all the bindings, but the system should be later extended so that someone can define it all - we'd like for it to become usable as a testing environment for JSBSim development. We won't try to define it ourselves, as we don't have enough experience with it, so I expect it will take several iterations until it becomes good in this regard.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Helicopters are coming
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2010, 04:00:42 pm »

Quote from: cshawnsmith
By the way, Cam, you need to do a desktop wallpaper screenshot of a fleet of the helicopters riding low to the ground towards Fractalopolis, like an invading air force :D
Well, at the moment we have to fly the helicopters ourselves, and one has to control the camera capturing the video , so .. I could film Angrypig attacking the Fractalopolis :)

C. Shawn Smith

Helicopters are coming
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2010, 04:02:38 pm »

LOL ... change the texture on the side of the helicopter with Angrypig's forum icon, add an "Angrypig" text to the texture, and screenshot away hehehehe.  That would be cool as hell.

alaister kay

Helicopters are coming
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2010, 04:51:02 pm »

I think I'd like to have a menu option to select either simple or complex/realistic control. As developers add different vehicle types it would expand to include those in the options.

That screenie looks stunning! I'm a fan of the big heavy metal jets and it would be great to take a plane from one side of the world to the other, but it would be equally amazing to take a single engine prop for a VFR flight over this stunning world :)

C. Shawn Smith

Alen Bajrovic

Helicopters are coming
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2010, 10:19:27 pm »

If you planning a flight simulator , i suggest next :) :

Airport service (deicing , fuel ) , emergency service , Real physics , real airplane reaction on ice , snow ,rain condition , real brake sistem , real autopilot , better landing and taxi lights than FSX & FS2004 , better global weather . real runway effects (rain , snow , slicking , water )
- Aircraft ( windshield rain & snow effect , working wipers , photoreal VC (fully functional depending on the aircraft model)

Good luck :))

C. Shawn Smith

Helicopters are coming
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2010, 11:11:28 pm »

Cameni and angrypig just had heart-attacks, forever pushing the Outerra engine in limbo :D

I'm interested in the climate model that will eventually be added ... there's certain aspects of the engine that will hinge on this part of things for my purposes ... imagine the world turned 90 degrees on its side.  Should be problematic for the climate model, but I'm hoping :)

Jagerbomber

Helicopters are coming
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2010, 11:42:35 pm »

Quote from: cshawnsmith
I'm interested in the climate model that will eventually be added ... there's certain aspects of the engine that will hinge on this part of things for my purposes ... imagine the world turned 90 degrees on its side.  Should be problematic for the climate model, but I'm hoping :)

Uuuuum...  I don't think "climate model" means "climate change model."  If I'm correct, that kind of stuff is for crazy climate experts. :P
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

C. Shawn Smith

Helicopters are coming
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2010, 11:46:57 pm »

LOL ... I know :)  I'm just trying to see how soon Cameni and Angrypig will ban me from the forums for my outrageous ideas :D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5