Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Helicopters are coming  (Read 62421 times)

RaikoRaufoss

• Blood may move the wheels of history, but only our cunning keeps the wheels oiled.
    • http://www.sabaton.net/
Helicopters are coming
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2010, 12:17:21 am »

Quote from: cshawnsmith
LOL ... I know :)  I'm just trying to see how soon Cameni and Angrypig will ban me from the forums for my outrageous ideas :D
Fortunately for you, that won't happen.  Your ideas aren't at all outrageous. :)
Far from the fame
Far away from the fame
But we still remember your name
Karel Janoušek
We mourn the day that you died
So be our guide
CZECHOSLOVAKIA'S PRIDE!!!!!!

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
Helicopters are coming
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2010, 12:37:10 am »

If you only knew the extent of my madness :)

The main reason I'm interested in this engine, which I think I barely touched on in another thread, is that I'm a writer working on a fantasy trilogy involving a world turned on its side (like modern day Uranus).  I'm hoping that the Outerra engine (and everything Cameni and Angrypig has said thus far points to it) will allow me to fully realize this world in a 3d application that will allow my readership to view the world in all its glory.  But the climate model will be problematic, considering the planet's nature.  Even if it doesn't conform to the nature of my world, it will still give me a modest rendition of the world I'm creating.  I've already tried to recreate the height maps in Lightwave, with only very modest success (I've been able to get down to a kilometer resolution ... just need to refine my approach a bit to get it further, down to the 2 meter resolution I require).  My system, at the moment, just can't handle the level of detail I need for the 3d movies I want to create.  Lightwave crashes whenever I try to obtain better results.  *edit* but in Lightwave, I can fake the climate model with a few well-place textures

I'm hoping in the coming months I'll be able to upgrade my system in order to compensate for the level of detail I need ... and I'm hoping that the Outerra engine will allow me to do MUCH more than I'd hoped for.  Considering they're using Javascript and the Chromium browser for the backend (regarding overlays and such), it seems to fit the best out of all the engines I've researched.  I had a buddy of mine working on a Flash based interface for a program to compliment the novels, but I couldn't get anywhere near what I wanted for it.

I'm gambling the Outerra engine will allow it.  I just hope Cameni and Angrypig don't have coronaries contemplating the posibilities I'm adding to their engine :D.  I've looked into trying to recreate such a climate model, and I bet it'll give them enough pause to think, "Shawn, give it up, shut up, and you're now banned permanently."  If they don't, they're bigger men than I will ever be :D

And if you only knew the OTHER possibilities for the engine I have in mind (which I've never told Cameni or Angrypig), you'd tell me I'm a fool! :D  20 years from now, maybe it'll be possible.  Maybe!

There is no spoon!

*edit* further edit because I'm stupid when it comes to english, even though I'm a writer :D
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Helicopters are coming
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2010, 03:13:09 am »

Yeah. Simple controls for vehicles in the demo. As long as everything can be bound to a joystick or multiple joysticks with everything analog I will be happy. \\\ EDIT: Force-Feedback on vehicles wouldn't suck. And playing any sort of driving sim with no feedback ruins most of the joy. Just keep it in mind guys.

In arma you are allowed to bind multiple keys to work a single action or different actions from the same key. IE My gas pedal from my steering wheel makes me walk or run forward (analog input for movement speed on foot is awesome) then the 2 pedals are also rudder on planes and helicopters. While at the same time I can fire with mouse1, joystick trigger and a button on my wheel.

I rebound every key from arma because.. I am a loon. Here is the default. http://members.tacticalgamer.com/~strag/arma/armacontrols2vh3.jpg
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Michal

• http://blog.blockhouse-c.com
Helicopters are coming
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2010, 06:51:55 am »

An Apache! Awesome!

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Helicopters are coming
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2010, 10:46:31 am »

The video probably won't be made this week, as we introduced an ugly bug sometime during working on terrain management code that causes a higher consumption of GPU memory with consequent slow downs. We decided to enhance our statistics and logging functions while on the course of identifying the source of the problem, so it will take some more time than planned.

Meanwhile, here are two more screenshots of the Apache helicopter:

Edding3000

Helicopters are coming
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2010, 11:02:06 am »

great screens... again :D!

RaikoRaufoss

• Blood may move the wheels of history, but only our cunning keeps the wheels oiled.
    • http://www.sabaton.net/
Helicopters are coming
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2010, 11:34:43 am »

Quote from: yoonsikp
What's with that helicopter blade in the last picture. Is it supposed to be like that?
Yes, I believe so.  And awesome work on the Apache!
Far from the fame
Far away from the fame
But we still remember your name
Karel Janoušek
We mourn the day that you died
So be our guide
CZECHOSLOVAKIA'S PRIDE!!!!!!

Abc94

Helicopters are coming
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2010, 01:31:39 pm »

Looks good!

The helicopter blades blur is not simulated yet right?
"It costs over $400 000 to play for 12 seconds."     Heavy Weapons Guy on Outerra demo.

angrypig

Helicopters are coming
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2010, 04:38:51 am »

Quote from: Abc94
Looks good!

The helicopter blades blur is not simulated yet right?

Yes, it is just blurred texture. I hope that I will find some time for something better soon because I have a few ideas I want to try.

OGREMAN

Helicopters are coming
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2010, 06:42:39 am »

Nice screens AngryPig, your teasing the life force out of me with these beautiful graphics, love the shading progressive depth,  I cant wait to see a useable demo of this program...
I hope that a future demo version of this engine would have some basic tools that allow interaction with a set of vehicles, perhaps 1 fixed wing slow, 1 fixed wing fast, 1 Helo, 1 ATV, 1 Saloon Car say an animated Human (skinable) form of male and female and a build tool for roads, buildings and so on..... Iwill Buy :-))  guarrenteed.
`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves  Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:All mimsy were the borogoves,
  And the mome raths outgrabe.
\"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!  The jaws that bite, the claws that catch! Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun;  The frumious Bandersnatch!\"

ben1101

Helicopters are coming
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2010, 08:44:44 am »

Amazing work!

Having high fidelity environments is extra valuable for helicopter simmers as we need the visual cues to be able to control the machine accurately, to compensate for the lack of situational awareness that comes from really being there !

The current level of detail is jaw dropping, and I can see already that I could spend hours in this environment flying around in a heli -

I have 2 suggestions for the demo:

- Please please please allow compatibility with a 6dof headtracker like Freetrack or Track ir !!! That would seriously be the best thing ever.

- Please please please allow realistic physics and the ability to use decent input devices like a HOTAS system with pedals!

That is all.

Also, I would like to throw my hat into the ring regarding beta testing, I have a good system: Quad core AMD 965 BE running at 3.5ghz per core, 8gb 1800mhz DDR3 ram, 5850 ATI Graphics card, Windows 7, Logitech G940 Hotas system and run Freetrack head tracker. Also a committed heli sim pilot, with X-Plane and all the amazing helis available for that sim and DCS: Black Shark.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing this engine come to life!!

Ben
Helicopters and the other stuff that there is around this place. And pizza.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Helicopters are coming
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2010, 09:21:07 am »

Hi Ben, thanks for the heads up. A 6dof head tracker should be integrated soon, we too are missing the functionality.
Also, the input subsystem will be able to handle a variety of input devices, and should be extendable.

As for the beta testing, the demo should be our beta test release. I just hope the AMD OpenGL 3.3 issues will be straightened out till then.

Airhogg

Helicopters are coming
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2010, 10:37:52 am »

Camini, is there a video of the Apache in flight (cockpit view)?  Thanks!

Nevermind....just found it.  Unreal.  Awesome, awesome, awesome.  I'm crying...(on the inside).

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Helicopters are coming
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2010, 11:19:06 am »

There's only this video with Apache, but the cockpit instruments are not yet functioning.

DMarkwick

Helicopters are coming
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2010, 09:45:49 am »

Very nice video :) and - do I see the use of TrackIR in the cockpit? Maybe not, but it looked like it for a while at the beginning.

As for the ease-of-use-of-the-demo question, I think the flight characteristics of the AH-64 should be realistic, to prove the engine can handle both complex inputs & calculations AND the world rendering. Give the non-flight simmers a Cessna already in flight for "easy demo" purposes.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5