Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: IITSEC, ISS and DDG-96  (Read 57054 times)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
IITSEC, ISS and DDG-96
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2010, 02:44:49 pm »

Even though the water is my task, and I'm currently operating around Taiwan, the video was taken by Angrypig who is currently residing in Capri, Italy, so the video is probably from there somewhere around.
:)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
IITSEC, ISS and DDG-96
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2010, 03:34:38 pm »

Quote from: cameni
Even though the water is my task, and I'm currently operating around Taiwan, the video was taken by Angrypig who is currently residing in Capri, Italy, so the video is probably from there somewhere around.
:)

Must be fun to go to work saying.. "I am going to be working off the coastline of Venice today" or "I will do land deformation tests today on the Mexican Baja peninsula"

Also, I notice a hiccup in the seamless LOD at around 1:09 on the ISS video. You can see all the trees spawn in. Don't recall it ever doing that in other videos.

EDIT: Now I remember what I wanted to ask.. Does the ship actually float or is it just placed there frozen as a prop?
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

flightmaster

IITSEC, ISS and DDG-96
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2010, 03:35:32 pm »

can someone give me a description of peoples reaction at the display? I can only imagine :D.

RaikoRaufoss

• Blood may move the wheels of history, but only our cunning keeps the wheels oiled.
    • http://www.sabaton.net/
IITSEC, ISS and DDG-96
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2010, 03:46:40 pm »

Quote from: flightmaster
can someone give me a description of peoples reaction at the display? I can only imagine :D.
I'd like to know people's reactions too. =D
Far from the fame
Far away from the fame
But we still remember your name
Karel Janoušek
We mourn the day that you died
So be our guide
CZECHOSLOVAKIA'S PRIDE!!!!!!

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
IITSEC, ISS and DDG-96
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2010, 03:52:15 pm »

Quote from: ZeosPantera
Also, I notice a hiccup in the seamless LOD at around 1:09 on the ISS video. You can see all the trees spawn in. Don't recall it ever doing that in other videos.

EDIT: Now I remember what I wanted to ask.. Does the ship actually float or is it just placed there frozen as a prop?
There is a newly introduced bug, after I have been working on optimizing LOD management with regards to memory consumption. It now sometimes blocks new requests. There's a problem with prioritization, but it will be addressed.

The ship model is just placed there, no physics yet.

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
IITSEC, ISS and DDG-96
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2010, 03:59:53 pm »

Quote from: flightmaster
can someone give me a description of peoples reaction at the display? I can only imagine :D

Answer:

Wayne: "No way!"
Garth: "Way!"
Wayne: "No way!"
Garth: "Way!"
Wayne: "Way?!"
Garth: "Yeah, way!"
Wayne: "Awesome!"
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

Abc94

IITSEC, ISS and DDG-96
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2010, 05:13:10 pm »

Too bad there isn't a game engine of the year competition at MODDB as I am sure Outerra would win by a long shot!  :D

Water looks great even if it wasn't an alpha! I can hardly wait for the demo now and I hope that AMD is able to fix the remaining driver bugs!

BTW you should upload the blog post to the MODDB page.  From what I can see right now only the shoreline video has been added.

Also having the camera look backwards at the ISS while going from space to ground would make a cool video.  :cool:
"It costs over $400 000 to play for 12 seconds."     Heavy Weapons Guy on Outerra demo.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
IITSEC, ISS and DDG-96
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2010, 05:29:03 pm »

It's been already posted on ModDB, admins are taking their time :)

Camera looking backwards - you'll lose the ISS almost immediately at the speed that shows you are moving at all with respect to earth. That was a problem initially - as you probably know, our free motion controller has the speed dependent on altitude, so that there's a constant feeling of speed. Now the ISS is only 150m long, and just a tiny movement meant that you could never find the station again. Not a chance.

We had to reduce the base speed drastically during the flight around ISS, and then boosting it 1000x to get down in a reasonable time :)

Btw I'll get Robert to say something about the reactions at the exhibition.

u3z05en

IITSEC, ISS and DDG-96
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2010, 05:40:24 pm »

Is it bad to be wishing I could be adventuring for days on end in the virtual world of Outerra.... cause I am.

Right now, I'd really like to be playing a real time strategy on that island. Building fortifications and amassing armies. Exploring and colonising and maybe evolving to space tech and launching transports into space... sigh.

RaikoRaufoss

• Blood may move the wheels of history, but only our cunning keeps the wheels oiled.
    • http://www.sabaton.net/
IITSEC, ISS and DDG-96
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2010, 07:13:29 pm »

Quote from: u3z05en
Is it bad to be wishing I could be adventuring for days on end in the virtual world of Outerra.... cause I am.

Right now, I'd really like to be playing a real time strategy on that island. Building fortifications and amassing armies. Exploring and colonising and maybe evolving to space tech and launching transports into space... sigh.
That's part of my dream for Outerra too, there's nothing wrong with it.  And welcome. :)
Far from the fame
Far away from the fame
But we still remember your name
Karel Janoušek
We mourn the day that you died
So be our guide
CZECHOSLOVAKIA'S PRIDE!!!!!!

WarlockSyno

IITSEC, ISS and DDG-96
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2010, 11:39:09 pm »

If I remember correctly, Outerra has multiplayer support. So, just wondering, how far can two users be apart from each other? Or can they go to the far limits of the known engine galaxy?

Good job on the ISS! It looks really good even though it's default textured. The lighting makes it absolutely sexy.

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
IITSEC, ISS and DDG-96
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2010, 12:01:26 am »

I think we all do that from time to time as we await the next tidbit of 411 from the Outerra team.  Me, myself, and I, still await the moment I can "walk the Earth" like Kwai-chang Kane, and/or stand in a stream and fish.  Not to mention being able to fly the F-22 into enemy territory.  So many possibilities, so little time.
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
IITSEC, ISS and DDG-96
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2010, 12:58:16 am »

Quote from: WarlockSyno
If I remember correctly, Outerra has multiplayer support. So, just wondering, how far can two users be apart from each other? Or can they go to the far limits of the known engine galaxy?
It's not a true multiplayer yet, just two computers can be tied together, exchanging positional and model information. The two players can be arbitrarily apart from each other. The connection is automatic once configured, so we aren't even aware of it normally.
 So much better are the rare moments when suddenly you spot something moving in otherwise silent world; it takes a while of staring on those pixels until you realize it's the other one traveling somewhere :)

Robert

• Fear is the mind killer
IITSEC, ISS and DDG-96
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2010, 11:39:13 am »

Hello followers of Outerra,

The feedback we received from IITSEC conference www.iitsec.org was extremely positive and exciting.  As Brano said we didn’t have a booth presence at IITSEC, but we did have a ‘walking booth’ in spirit :)

IITSEC had many different types of venders showcasing their wares.  The products showcase ranged from hardware, training aids such as firearm replicas, giant motion control machines that simulated small watercraft, virtual small arms firing ranges, flight sims, driving sims, to GIS type software covering the gauntlet from first person shooters to large scale operational environments and terrain generation.  Rarely did I see an opportunity that in some degree Outerra might not fit in with or a business case for.

The demoing went extremely well.  Gaining an audience of one member at a booth generally lead to an excited member asking me if I could hold out and or come back to do another demo for more members of their team, and more than once, a direct audience with company presidents and upper management.  I can’t mention names, but we were told to expect contact/discussion from them in the future.

We received a range of questions about features and functionality.  Many of the same questions posted here on our forums.  There were a few unique ones generally related to issues that are probably common to the individual Vis/Sim disciplines in the field.  We were told that if we could address some of them that we may even have a stronger business case for Outerra in the future.  I will probably hold off on showcasing any these questions due to possible future negotiation with these companies for now.

I’m hoping that by next year’s end, we will have a real booth at IITSEC for all of you to come by and visit us.  I’ll try to come up with a cool and unique swag to take home with you.

BTW… We got our first name recognition while walking around the trade show floor.  I had OUTERRA printed on my name badge…. “Hey, I know Outerra, I’ve been following you guys on your forum for months”

-Thanks Michael!!!

Jeez, I’m starting to feel like a Rock Star!  :D

Robert Francis -BD

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
IITSEC, ISS and DDG-96
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2010, 03:42:01 pm »

Quote from: Robert
I’m starting to feel like a Rock Star!  :D

The Clothes make the man. And someone with an Outerra Badge at a simulations conference is pretty much Mick Jagger in my book. Only without the drugs and more talented.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4