Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Will we ever see an equivalent of ARMA using the Outerra Engine?  (Read 17473 times)

mercenar1e

just tried the tech demo and i am blown away with the performance... is anyone planning on creating a military game similar to that of ARMA (vehicles,air,ground,etc)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Re: Will we ever see an equivalent of ARMA using the Outerra Engine?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 10:34:03 pm »

I can guarantee it.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Jagerbomber

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 10:38:10 pm »

I can guarantee it.

And how much is that worth?  ;)
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

mercenar1e

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 10:52:36 pm »

I can guarantee it.

good thing i paid to support ;) this engine has a lot of usage... great interiors and environments.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 11:28:29 pm »

It really all comes down to the SDK. Once you give everyone on earth the whole world to the centimeter the modders will come out and you will see a gaggle of arma type and racing and period war and hunting and exploring and rpg and ... everything games.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

mercenar1e

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 12:08:46 am »

It really all comes down to the SDK. Once you give everyone on earth the whole world to the centimeter the modders will come out and you will see a gaggle of arma type and racing and period war and hunting and exploring and rpg and ... everything games.

any ETA on releasing a SDK? have you guys heard of any groups willing to create something similar?

necro

• google+ Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 01:01:53 am »

Mh. Certainly 1 of 3 peoples suggests something like that. They differ only in the settings. The most of these guys want zombies or mutants. The rest wants Arma and BF. So the wish exists, but there is no competent team that wants to develop this mod.
And a sdk is far far away. There are too many issues which have to be solved first.

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 02:00:37 am »

Damn you !

Anyway ... the Grad is in developement and AK-s getting done too, so :

;)

Doe true, some helpful minions would do good. :D
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 02:11:34 am by PytonPago »
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

necro

• google+ Blog
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 07:07:06 am »

Dont judge me for being honest ^^ I am not against these game ideas.

SpaceFlight

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 08:54:54 am »

I'm really curious as to what the first commercial use of this engine will be.  :D

@PytonPago
Ahh "Kelly's Heroes", funny movie.
"You see, Killbots have a preset kill limit. Knowing their weakness, I sent wave after wave of my own men at them, until they reached their limit and shut down."
Zapp Brannigan

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 01:55:42 pm »

I'm really curious as to what the first commercial use of this engine will be.

im still guessing, that it will be some terrain survey or physical/naturesient. simulation thing for regional and global scales ...

for mil-sims (and other real-sims), the biggest problem will be the size of the planet to be cowered by objects. Simply, if there will be no way to fastly and enough realisticly/detailed import urban and technical objects in its vast spaces, no one will try to go seriously on it ... that just needs a opening of such vector data from various survey companies at reasonable price in global scale (means of possible import in future already discussed on forum). Or good rural-generators for OT. -- Can be seen on DCS, how their world looks like, and no "refurbishing" plans on that in minds, cause it was a pain in the ass job to hand-pickly go trough all the cities and towns. But many projects of solving such problems are in the world, so we might see something fancy in a few years, till OT hits the V-1.0 state.

Detail of simulation is a big thing too - aether some simplifications are in place and making an ARMA-like sim, or going on hardcore whyte every piece of tech-params., witch has an per-vehicle outcome. Personally, i would be really glad to have an DCS handling detail level on ARMA type of gameplay options (... but i see already all those people monkeying about start up procedures under overrunning enemy fire.  ::) - Arcades just win this fight in numbers. :D ) BUT .. if a serious military issue sim would see its dual purpose in gaming applications - imagine the russian spectrum training sim going OT and in lightweight version (mil sims have the secret stuffs there, we have to understand) to the gamers market ... we just have to do some deal whyte US/UK/GER/FR/RF defense ministries for getting the info, skilled minds and funding.  ;D  ;D  Actually that may be a good way to go ...
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 02:04:09 pm by PytonPago »
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

James

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2013, 03:58:09 pm »

I'm really curious as to what the first commercial use of this engine will be.  :D

I'm going to start working on an apocalyptic MMO as soon as possible. It's going to be pretty realistic, with hunger, thirst, disease. Story mode will go from Florida to California but there will be side quests just about everywhere. It's going to take a while to work do, but I have 2 people willing to help, and there's plenty of people who would be willing to help test.

Timmo

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2013, 06:23:35 pm »

just tried the tech demo and i am blown away with the performance

Part of that is simply because currently, the engine isn't doing as much work- Its not having to draw and animate many different objects, it doesn't have to calculate AI, currently doesn't have to calculate weather etc etc

Start throwing all the things that are needed to make a game and performance can only go one way, down.

jimbalny

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2013, 03:26:33 pm »

Hopefully not like Arma, the movement and feel of the game is still very similar to the original operation: flashpoint. It has gotten better in Arma 3 but still, doesn't feel like you have the reaction time you'd have in real life. Anything is possible as far as getting a decent amount of object detail and physics. Computing power keeps getting cheaper, can always have the complex calculations running off a beefy server like xbox one is trying to do.

mercenar1e

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2013, 07:56:22 pm »

Hopefully not like Arma, the movement and feel of the game is still very similar to the original operation: flashpoint. It has gotten better in Arma 3 but still, doesn't feel like you have the reaction time you'd have in real life. Anything is possible as far as getting a decent amount of object detail and physics. Computing power keeps getting cheaper, can always have the complex calculations running off a beefy server like xbox one is trying to do.

the Microsoft cloud "computing power" is proven to be a bunch of bull shit but i agree that the games animations shouldn't be on ARMAs level
Pages: [1] 2