Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20

Author Topic: Game Assets - What should the vehicles look like?  (Read 201454 times)

Stratic

Game Assets - What should the vehicles look like?
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2011, 08:40:17 am »

3D modeling is a bit of a hobby of mine (that I wouldn't mind turning into a career), so I spent a few minutes playing around with a vague idea I had for the design of the colony pod.

Basically, there a 4 pods mounted underneath the main body. When the ship deploys on the planet, the pods rotate to vertical and are driven into the ground. The ship and pods contain the colonists, and all necessary materials for terraforming, construction, etc. The ships engines then function as generators to power the base.

Obviously this is not a very polished concept, but I thought I would throw it out there, see if there are elements to it that people like.

Front

Side

Render

Render - deployed (wireframe plane is ground level)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2011, 01:57:26 pm »

Might be interesting to have something like that towering in the base. But I can see some problems - for example, this design won't be able to glide down to earth from space and land without considerable help from some engines.

The idea is such that there will be thousands Colony Pods attached to the Mothership. The Mothership was meant to colonize other systems, visiting selected stars on its journey, deploying several tens or hundreds of these pods at each habitable planet or moon to increase chances of humanity survival. These pods are designed to land on the planet and root there. All energy will be handy for establishing the base, so these pods should not consume much fuel during the descent. Some of it will be needed for safe landing.

You may say that we don't have to adhere to these rules, but we want it to be logical. We are looking for designs that are reasonable, and not that far out to the future. Ie. the closest future when mankind could assemble a giant spaceship in orbit, freeze the the volunteers in cryogenic chambers and send the ship on a long journey from which it should not return.

OGREMAN

« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2011, 03:37:32 pm »

Quote from: ZeosPantera
I always liked the firefly roughness of ships. Well the rebel/transport ones at least. Nothing too slick. We should be down there as miners and developers. Not Rich Playboys.

I like very much the Firefly serenity design, how about something along the lines of the Avatar Film Helo for the future helicopter look.... I would put in an image at this point but dont know how.
`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves  Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:All mimsy were the borogoves,
  And the mome raths outgrabe.
\"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!  The jaws that bite, the claws that catch! Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun;  The frumious Bandersnatch!\"

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2011, 03:57:37 pm »

Quote from: cameni
Although, with such a large world, it would be handy to have a futuristic hoverboard that would help you move around or run away. Flying low above the terrain is awesome, I wish I were able to do it in RL :)

I have one word Cameni that will guarantee the success of the game.....

Jetpacks

Short range and slow so that helicopters still have a purpose. But trust me on this.. Jetpacks.

There should be also some turrets that can be placed around the base and mining sites, that will shoot the things that are trying to kill you :)
Consuming energy from generators.

That might take some of the fun out of hunting. Could instead just drive the forklift around the perimeter picking up the huge piles of dead things. Motion sensors alerting you to their presence may be more beneficial.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2011, 04:05:19 pm »

Quote from: OGREMAN
I like very much the Firefly serenity design, how about something along the lines of the Avatar Film Helo for the future helicopter look.... I would put in an image at this point but dont know how.

This one?

Just put the url of the image in img tags:
Code: [Select]
[img]http://lee.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/avatar-scorpion-gunship.jpg[/img]

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2011, 04:22:46 pm »

Quote from: ZeosPantera
Jetpacks
Oh yeah, jetpacks. How could I forget. Yes.

There should be also some turrets that can be placed around the base and mining sites, that will shoot the things that are trying to kill you :)
Consuming energy from generators.

That might take some of the fun out of hunting. Could instead just drive the forklift around the perimeter picking up the huge piles of dead things. Motion sensors alerting you to their presence may be more beneficial.
These turrets will need energy from nearby generators, so the range is limited. Besides, you'll have to go outside to search for mines and stuff, and the things that want to kill you will be there too. Plenty of hunting fun. Thitawatokiya will probably want to destroy your drilling and mining machines as well, so the turrets will be usable if you don't want to repair the sites periodically.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2011, 04:30:07 pm »

Besides, you'll have to go outside to search for mines and stuff, and the things that want to kill you will be there too. Plenty of hunting fun.

Thitawatokiya will probably want to destroy your drilling and mining machines as well, so the turrets will be usable if you don't want to repair the sites periodically.

I may have missed something.. Who the hell is Thitawatokiya because google has bupkiss.

And why are there mines... I hate those sneaky bastards. Would they just be randomly placed all across the world?
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2011, 04:45:28 pm »

Um, no existing mines, I mean deposits of minerals that would be used to feed the separator. It could be that anything can be put into it, but the output will depend on the mineral content. And you wanted to drill for oil, didn't you? The same thing.

Sorry for the joke. Things that want to kill ya  :D

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2011, 05:53:44 pm »

LOL @ Thintawatokiya!  Sounds vaguely native american :)

+1!
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2011, 11:34:40 pm »

Quote from: cshawnsmith
LOL @ Thintawatokiya!  Sounds vaguely native american :)

God damn dev's and their sense of humor. I never expect sarcasm and wit from someone with coding ability. You should be a boring bland work-a-holic.

CMBH

« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2011, 11:27:06 am »

I'm sorry I don't speak english and I is not of knowledge 3d but I think that it would be not bad of create this:

Jagerbomber

« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2011, 12:30:57 pm »

"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2011, 12:36:12 pm »

Quote from: CMBH
I'm sorry I don't speak english and I is not of knowledge 3d but I think that it would be not bad of create this:
While it's certainly a nice piece of machine, it doesn't fit the game setting. I doubt anyone would be overly interested in extinguishing the fires in the newborn world.
This is clearly another case for the world simulator platform, but it's not a project we could take on at this time.

Abc94

« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2011, 04:59:41 pm »

Haha + 1 for Jagerbomber's post!

That really made me laugh! :lol:
"It costs over $400 000 to play for 12 seconds."     Heavy Weapons Guy on Outerra demo.

Jagerbomber

« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2011, 11:43:04 am »

You can't tell me it wouldn't be absolutely hilarious to be (literally) rolling down a mountain in one of those (with no pain or consequences).  :lol:
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20