Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Sloping/Elevated Runways and Grass Strips  (Read 3504 times)

SilentEagle

• Sim Developer
    • Simulation Developer
Sloping/Elevated Runways and Grass Strips
« on: September 17, 2014, 05:02:27 pm »

1) The runway creator tool is very handy but it creates very sterile and perfectly flattened runways.  I haven't found a way to create sloping runways like those found shipped with the tech demo.  Perhaps we could get a slider for the amount of flattening we want the runway tool to perform before it places the runway.  Or in other words, how closely we want the sloping of the runway to follow the terrain.

2) I was attempting to create real airports at low elevations near the shore, but they would often be below the water, especially when the runways should be built on man made land jutting out into the water.  Will artificial land underneath roads/runways be possible for elevating them above the water?

3) Are grass runways and airfields easy to do?  Ideally they would follow the terrain, but all the nasty rocks and bumps would be removed along the path, but not too perfect.  Once again, a slider could be used to determine the bumpiness of the field.  Maybe the grass could be cut shorter/lighter color to visually ID the airfield from the air.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: Sloping/Elevated Runways and Grass Strips
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 01:38:10 am »

You can edit the runway after placing it, by switching to road editor and adjusting the nodes (or inserting new ones etc). You can as well raise the nodes and create artificial land under them.

By changing the pavement type to some grass or original terrain it's also possible to create grass runways, but I think it currently does not remove the rocks from the grass. That will be a part of the road editor update.

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 02:23:01 am »

3) Are grass runways and airfields easy to do?  Ideally they would follow the terrain, but all the nasty rocks and bumps would be removed along the path, but not too perfect.  Once again, a slider could be used to determine the bumpiness of the field.  Maybe the grass could be cut shorter/lighter color to visually ID the airfield from the air.

I use a simple gravel road or a dirt road (one track). With a very large border, it makes a nice result. If you want this type of runway to be flat and not affected by terrain, you can create a normal runway then modify each node from asphalt to dirt (or gravel). You will need to remove the markings too, setting them to "plain".

arooj

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 07:24:32 am »

I will let you know if this works for me Thanks and keep posting such a informative blogs
arooj