Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 19

Author Topic: demo ?  (Read 240570 times)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
demo ?
« Reply #180 on: January 10, 2011, 10:41:48 pm »

Quote from: grabacr 31770
I must say, 13gb is a lot of file. But this is Outerra, and thus would be worth it :D
I have a 13 gig copy of watchmen. I think I can muster another 13 for a game experience that should overpower all things I have ever played.

Hell my Steam folder is 120 Gigs and I dont use nearly any of the games on there. Maybe 4-5.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Stargun

demo ?
« Reply #181 on: January 11, 2011, 05:42:58 am »

Quote from: cameni
Quote from: Stargun
The best question would be the following: If the AMD drivers were working properly, the demo should be released by now, or not?
Sure. We are periodically (monthly or biweekly) getting to a stable state for a brief moment so we can make a snapshot for demo purposes for our commercial wannabe customers, so one of these could become a public one after the conditions are met.

Although, we'd probably have to fix several issues that we are used to avoid mindlessly, but for others it's disturbing.
Still, it will be aimed at people that can understand what is an alpha techdemo.

In that case it seems that it's really only the AMD driver issue which forbid the demo to be released for "public".  :(

Ain't that possible that the registered forum users with nVidia cards who state that they really understand what an alpha state techdemo is can have a version earlier? Maybe by signing an DNA or something?  :D

I just hate the fact that we're waiting for the AMD team to fix their driver, when this issue probably the 10th or 20th most important for them. Sorry but I'm getting angry, that such a big company can work so bad and slow. It's ridiculous.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
demo ?
« Reply #182 on: January 11, 2011, 06:04:57 am »

Maybe by signing an DNA or something?  :D
Yeah, just send me your samples :lol:

But in fact DNA would be better than NDA, can't imagine we would be able to actually enforce an NDA, being a tiny company we are.  :rolleyes:

But hey, you have to be patient. Relax.
< :cool:>
    \\
     \,\,

Usually people would not be getting alpha tech demos in any case, because it could also harm the developer a lot if not handled properly. Now I'm wondering if we started to show the engine to the world a bit too early :)

Stargun

demo ?
« Reply #183 on: January 11, 2011, 06:44:11 am »

Maybe by signing an DNA or something?  :D
Yeah, just send me your samples :lol:

But in fact DNA would be better than NDA, can't imagine we would be able to actually enforce an NDA, being a tiny company we are.  :rolleyes:

But hey, you have to be patient. Relax.
< :cool:>
    \\
     \,\,

Usually people would not be getting alpha tech demos in any case, because it could also harm the developer a lot if not handled properly. Now I'm wondering if we started to show the engine to the world a bit too early :)

What a typo!  :lol: It should be NDA of course, but if you can handle blood, spit or hair samples then the DNA is such as good.  :P

Anyway, do the best you can to develop the really best engine in the world. I will be patient I promise. For a week or so...  :D

SpaceFlight

demo ?
« Reply #184 on: January 16, 2011, 09:08:49 am »

As I said, the whole dataset may be available as a torrent, seeded for a limited time. In the demo it will be all grass and pines anyway, but I understand you want to see your home lands.
The whole reduction to islands thing was needed to be able to have a more reasonable size for a public demo, one that can be put on various download sites. But as long as the torrent lives, skilled people should be able to get the whole thing.

But maybe the public demo and alpha of the game will come out at once. Cost of dataset download in the game will be covered in the price, and that download will be much more reliable and fast.

I read that the complete dataset for earth will be about 14GB compressed
and that the engine/game/demo will be downloaded progressively.

So if I understand your post right, it will it be possible to download the whole thing at once
instead of the progressive download ? Will there be a DVD that one can buy
with the data on it for those who do not have a good internet connection ?

greetings,
SF
"You see, Killbots have a preset kill limit. Knowing their weakness, I sent wave after wave of my own men at them, until they reached their limit and shut down."
Zapp Brannigan

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
demo ?
« Reply #185 on: January 16, 2011, 09:33:22 am »

We have yet to perform final tests (once new dataset comes in) to determine what internet connection will be required for seamless streaming of planetary data in worst case when players move around in fastest vehicles. Downloading the whole dataset would be a waste in majority of cases, but I can imagine that for people with bad connection there could be a service to buy the data on DVDs.

But as I said we'll be doing the tests so that people can decide if it's necessary for them.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
demo ?
« Reply #186 on: January 16, 2011, 02:05:30 pm »

We have yet to perform final tests (once new dataset comes in) to determine what internet connection will be required for seamless streaming of planetary data in worst case when players move around in fastest vehicles.

Well considering the 14 gigs then the square mileage of the earth divided by the amount of it you can see all at once divided by the speed you are going Id say most internet connections could handle it. I think you mentioned that standing in one place on the ground and looking to the horizon was ~40 MB of data. So if you traveled to the horizon you would need another 20 MB in that time because you have the half that is behind you. Going to space and quickly falling to earth would require the full 40 MB to be downloaded before you hit the ground.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
demo ?
« Reply #187 on: January 16, 2011, 02:27:31 pm »

Quote from: ZeosPantera
I think you mentioned that standing in one place on the ground and looking to the horizon was ~40 MB of data. So if you traveled to the horizon you would need another 20 MB in that time because you have the half that is behind you.
Not entirely right, looking to the horizon doesn't require all levels of detail for visible area as the needed level of detail decreases logarithmically with distance. On the other hand, those 40MB include data for a larger area than just the view point you landed on, a several tens of kilometers around it doesn't need to load further data, as far as I remember.

Can't test it now because angrypig broke the bittorrent downloader and climbed up the tree :D

gedzor

demo ?
« Reply #188 on: January 16, 2011, 03:53:00 pm »

I think the DVD thing is worth the effort because in some country there is only limited bandwith and we didn't talk about situations when you don't have internet near. So as a hungarian I prefer dvd thing over streaming. I would definately buy it by the way.

SpaceFlight

demo ?
« Reply #189 on: January 23, 2011, 02:45:17 pm »

I was wondering if there are new developments on the demo front ? :drool:  :)
"You see, Killbots have a preset kill limit. Knowing their weakness, I sent wave after wave of my own men at them, until they reached their limit and shut down."
Zapp Brannigan

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
demo ?
« Reply #190 on: January 23, 2011, 03:03:59 pm »

Nope, no news from AMD yet. Seems we'll have to find the conditions leading to BSOD ourselves. It's also possible that it is a bug in our code wrt the infamous undefined behavior, but of course it should not cause BSODs.

WarlockSyno

demo ?
« Reply #191 on: February 06, 2011, 04:56:59 pm »

AMD released some new drivers, something about fixing tearing. Will that fix Outerra?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
demo ?
« Reply #192 on: February 07, 2011, 03:54:44 pm »

I guess we have newer beta drivers than the public ones, but in fact we didn't check the most recent drivers as our build is now somewhat broken. We have to get it back together before we take another try on AMD.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
demo ?
« Reply #193 on: February 07, 2011, 04:13:49 pm »

fingers crossed

Lucas

demo ?
« Reply #194 on: February 23, 2011, 12:46:24 am »

idea: maybe for the demo we could select any area we wanted but obviously limited area like 150km/s x 150km/s ...
then we could choose where we live etc. :) lol my first post :D
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 19