Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Dangerous Airports.  (Read 5331 times)

HiFlyer

Dangerous Airports.
« on: March 20, 2016, 09:35:35 am »

I'm going to start off with an interesting one. Antonio Nariño Airport (IATA: PSO, ICAO: SKPS) is located in the town of Chachagüí (columbia) and serves the city of Pasto:  =D =D

(A town which which is located 35km away from the airport. The airport only handles domestic flights in addition to military operations and private charters)

Elevation AMSL: 5.951 ft

The airport's runway was built on a plateau of 50 meters because of the surrounding terrain. Due to this, many pilots refer to the airport as an aircraft carrier. The runway is also relatively short for the altitude at which the airport is at.

The position of the runway means that it is often rendered useless since, in the presence of crosswinds, it prevents aircraft making a safe take off and landing. Crosswinds are common during the summer, particularly during the month of August.

Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

HiFlyer

Re: Dangerous Airports.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 09:54:13 am »

SBH (St Barth) Airport is served by small regional commercial aircraft and charters. Most visiting aircraft carry fewer than twenty passengers, such as the Twin Otter, a common sight around Saint Barth and throughout the northern West Indies. The short airstrip is at the base of a gentle slope ending directly on the beach. The arrival descent is extremely steep over the hilltop traffic circle and departing planes fly right over the heads of sunbathers (although small signs advise sunbathers not to lie directly at the end of the runway). The airport is located in the island's second-largest town, St. Jean.

Here's what happens if you are having a bad day.......

Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 06:00:27 pm »

When I will have an hour or two...  :P

HiFlyer

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 06:14:39 pm »

When I will have an hour or two...  :P

LOL! I'm just posting these for fun, since things are so quiet.  =D

Think of it as part of my places to visit in Outerra, thread.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 06:18:55 pm by HiFlyer »

josem75

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 01:10:11 am »

I'm going to start off with an interesting one. Antonio Nariño Airport (IATA: PSO, ICAO: SKPS) is located in the town of Chachagüí (columbia) and serves the city of Pasto:  =D =D

(A town which which is located 35km away from the airport. The airport only handles domestic flights in addition to military operations and private charters)

Elevation AMSL: 5.951 ft

The airport's runway was built on a plateau of 50 meters because of the surrounding terrain. Due to this, many pilots refer to the airport as an aircraft carrier. The runway is also relatively short for the altitude at which the airport is at.

The position of the runway means that it is often rendered useless since, in the presence of crosswinds, it prevents aircraft making a safe take off and landing. Crosswinds are common during the summer, particularly during the month of August.

I tried, but i am bad at building runways.. Maybe somebody can build it there xD
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 01:19:58 am by josem75 »

zombie00

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 10:29:48 am »

I'm not much of a plane guy and I really don't know all that much about airports in general, but saw this one on TV once and thought it could fit the bill in terms of "dangerous airports" considering there is a variable that could complicate things up fairly easily. Of course, it would be hard to portrait that danger on a game/simulator, unless you were playing online and there were ground vehicles too, that would open up the possibilities to some healthy trolling :D.
Gibraltar Airport was built over a road back when the population and the local vehicle fleet was very small to be consider a liability to the security of the landing strip.

HiFlyer

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2016, 12:26:16 pm »

Now that's just scary!

HiFlyer

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2016, 06:33:42 pm »

One of the most dangerous airports in the world was Kai tak in Hong Kong. You flew in low right over the city towards a big checkerboard sign on a mountain that told you when it was time to make a sharp right turn to line up with the airport. You came out of that turn right into crosswinds from hell, and the airport was the home of white-knuckle landings. Sideways.

Not surprising that it was eventually closed.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 06:42:08 pm by HiFlyer »