Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Outerra Beta Video  (Read 63547 times)

Jagerbomber

Re: Outerra Beta Video
« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2011, 12:15:58 am »

It's the only shovel you get.  If you break it, that's it.
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

[deleted]

« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2011, 06:48:53 am »

I can't quite imagine the machine that would be able to move the mountains ..

This will do. This and a bit of time. That is what he meant. No-one is asking for the mountains to move in an instant. But if some crazy bastard wanted to. They could get a shovel and try.

I am a crazy bastard and I'll do it :>

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2011, 02:01:07 pm »

1,000 AI slaves with shovels.. No, this will not do.

1,000 Human players with shovels digging me a mountain pass so my gold train can move through them much more efficiently.

"Back Breaking Labor Simulator 2012"
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

mctash

« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2011, 02:58:49 pm »

"Back Breaking Labor Simulator 2012"

Possibly best sim idea since Street Cleaning Simulator

http://www.excalibur-publishing.com/streetcleaning.htm

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #64 on: December 18, 2011, 03:20:13 pm »

Possibly best sim idea since Street Cleaning Simulator

Now when people on reddit argue with me that nobody needs the whole world as a game. And I argue people want to do real world things. I can prove it with the existence of that.

Want to be a commando? Fine.. but Hanz over there wants to clean the streets in outerra.. and Iincyo wants to drive buses http://www.simshack.net/product_info.php?products_id=305 and Billy Bob wants to work on a farm http://www.amazon.com/Farming-Simulator-2011-Platinum-PC-DVD/dp/B005YB8I4K

WOW.. A garbage truck sim http://www.excalibur-publishing.com/games_sims.htm
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 03:21:48 pm by ZeosPantera »
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Jagerbomber

« Reply #65 on: December 18, 2011, 06:51:23 pm »

You didn't already know about those?  :o

"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2011, 01:00:48 am »

You didn't already know about those?  :o

Of course I did. But who would want to admit that.

SpaceFlight

« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2011, 01:58:21 am »

Now when people on reddit argue with me that nobody needs the whole world as a game. And I argue people want to do real world things. I can prove it with the existence of that.

I guess you are right.
Maybe no gamer needs the whole world as a game yet. Military organizations, meteorologists, sim people etc. could utilize it I suppose.
For games, the hard part after the hard part of creating the entire Earth will probably be filling it with content.
"You see, Killbots have a preset kill limit. Knowing their weakness, I sent wave after wave of my own men at them, until they reached their limit and shut down."
Zapp Brannigan

DarkDXZ

• Exception within exception...EXCEPTION!
« Reply #68 on: December 20, 2011, 10:55:25 am »

I can't quite imagine the machine that would be able to move the mountains ..

This will do. This and a bit of time. That is what he meant. No-one is asking for the mountains to move in an instant. But if some crazy bastard wanted to. They could get a shovel and try.

^This^
Also

that thing

and this should do, too...

Trust me - that would be hard work, but satisfying as hell...
(a good material for a timelapse, I guess...)
"The Pope? How many divisions has he got?" - Joseph Stalin

BlankCache

• Transporter
« Reply #69 on: December 20, 2011, 01:46:18 pm »

Im thinking i'll start a shovel sharpening buisness...you might just need one of those :D
Its nice to be important but its more important to be nice.

PRiME

« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2012, 07:14:51 pm »

Hello All,

Yes you can't play everywhere at once but there is definitely allot of 'want' for a open world as a base for large scale military simulations, being able to have engagements all around the world without having to painstakingly generate half the terrain would be a huge asset to games like ARMA series or even Civilisation games.

Atm allot of developers of war/combat games spend huge amounts of time getting the terrain right/comparative to real-life, all that time could be cut out. Only thing needed is to populate the region, and general clean-up.

Outerra is definitely looking to be a fantastic toolset for indie developers, interested to see how human character systems turn out, but atm the vehicle systems in place look quite impressive. One could make a game based on that alone  (i.e. WorldOfTanks).
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]