Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Building tips  (Read 9367 times)

konrad72

Building tips
« on: March 17, 2012, 05:35:41 pm »

Hi,

I feel like I'm missing something obvious, so if someone can point me to a place where this is explained please do.

1) Is there any way to move objects once you've placed the pivot, apart from rotation? It seems like it would be simple enough to have the arrow keys function to move the pivot for accurate placement but this did not seem to work....

2) After I've placed a road, if I then go back to it and click on a pivot point and try and carry on the road from that point it places it from the very end of the road. Is this right? Is there any way to get round this?

Thanks!

Jagerbomber

Re: Building tips
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 06:28:02 pm »

1.  Select your object and press M and move the object along the ground with your mouse.  Or press shift+M to move the object while keeping it at the same height.  There is a "Help" tab on the Objects/Builder window.

2.  I don't understand what you are trying to work around.  Are you trying to make an intersecting road from one of the middle points?  At the moment you can only add to the end of the road and you cannot delete separate points yet.  You have to make a new separate road.  You can deselect a road by pressing the button in the bottom left corner of the Roads window.  It says "Clear the road markers" which might be a little confusing.  It is only for the visual lines.  The points that make up the road will still be there when you select the road again (if the road exists).  The button just removes the lines from view.  Improved road editing features are coming eventually to allow better point editing and for the making of intersections.
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

konrad72

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 07:39:08 pm »

Brilliant, thanks for the help!

For the roads, it' not quite an intersection. If I start a road at point A and go to point B, if I then click on node A and make a new point C the road goes from the other end of the road (B).

So basically can you extend the road from the start point? Not quite an intersection...

Jagerbomber

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 07:57:18 pm »

Ah ok.  Sorry, not at the moment, but hopefully you should be able to when the improvements to it get added.
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

corax

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 06:44:23 am »

Further on roads. Is there a limit on the number of sections to a length of road? I had been extending a section, in very windy, rough terrain, with a lot of sections and the ability to add more appears to have stopped. Can get around it by starting a new section, but.
On buildings, I don't appear to be able to add buildings that will survive quit/restart! After the restart I just have the empty pad!

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 07:53:59 am »

Yes there is certain limit on the number of the nodes .. I have doubled it once, will check if it can be extended more.
And the buildings - where do you have your data directory? There were some issues reported with the Program files location and UAC enabled, but just for some people.

corax

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 11:20:58 am »

Thanks, just so that I'm aware of the fact. The data folder is in E:/outerra/; not on the System drive at all.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 11:28:15 am »

Please attach your eng.log from a session where you place a building. Just to be sure - after getting the log, start it again to see if it's not there.

corax

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 01:34:38 pm »

Placed building, leveled site; looked fine. Closed down and restarted; pad but no building. Went into add building utility & clicked on pad: crashed, error report sent.

Attached is log b4 crash.

corax

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 04:09:58 am »

Had to do clean re-install, including deleting all data, b4 I could get it to work cleanly again.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 04:31:15 am »

I debugged the crash, the object was listed there but the instance could not be created for some reason. I already fixed so it would not crash, but the reason why it could not load is unclear.

corax

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 04:41:18 am »

Thanks, will try again later. Set your own priorities, I'm mainly trying to get the roads done, at the moment. Roads on the sides of canyons are not easy.  :P
Mainly bothered that I was doing something stupid!

corax

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 06:28:23 am »

Really screwed it this time! :-(
3016 - started with info/error window open; objects still disappearing. Roads OK. left well alone.

3018 - Working OK - until I thought I'd test objects. Problem still there. Now aborts when trying to enter world after update. Clean re-install to my wishes, also when done with default options.

BTW - Did default install on friend's m/c last night! Objects work fine, so not something in my work-flow.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 06:33:08 am »

There are some issues with terrain data desc files, I'm adding checksum verification so we can avoid it. You may want to delete the data/earth/*/base.desc files from your data and try it again.

corax

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 06:48:22 am »

Done that; it downloaded replacements, then bombed after/during initialising the world. Do you want dump report? Or am I just too quick off the mark? :-)
Pages: [1] 2