Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 42

Author Topic: (old) 0.7.12 version branch  (Read 291677 times)

angrypig

Re: Development version: 0.7.12.3230
« Reply #255 on: August 17, 2012, 01:44:34 pm »

Is the Cessna engine/prop sound suppose to behave like this? Now it changes pitch considerably depending of camera position, low pitch if camera is behind and hi pitch if camera is in front of the plane. Tested when the plane moving in the air, if the simulation is stopped, sounds are ok.

No it's a bug...

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #256 on: August 17, 2012, 01:57:17 pm »

I decided to give the new Catalyst 12.8's a try with the AMD 7970 again.

The log-on screen loads and then the updater runs and then hangs with a message -

“Waiting for the original process (3040) to end ..”

It never makes it past this point and I have to close out of the updater?
Probably hangs up in the driver. Try to kill the original process (outerra.exe), the updater should continue. However, it's possible that the new version will still hang at the exit ...

hhrhhr

« Reply #257 on: August 17, 2012, 02:19:00 pm »

No it's a bug...
doppler effect occurs only in the case of objects with different speeds. if the camera and the plane moving at the same speed, but the tone of the sound is different - i think it's a bug.

djt

« Reply #258 on: August 17, 2012, 04:22:35 pm »

Probably hangs up in the driver. Try to kill the original process (outerra.exe), the updater should continue. However, it's possible that the new version will still hang at the exit ...

Thanks, I gave that a try but in task manager outerra.exe doesn't even show running after the updater starts.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #259 on: August 17, 2012, 04:27:00 pm »

Hmm that's odd, please double check. The updater doesn't have anything to do with graphics drivers, it waits for a particular process id to terminate. If it still sees the process running, but you can't see it in the process manager, that would mean the process is in some ultra-zombie state  ???

djt

« Reply #260 on: August 17, 2012, 05:08:11 pm »

Hmm that's odd, please double check. The updater doesn't have anything to do with graphics drivers, it waits for a particular process id to terminate. If it still sees the process running, but you can't see it in the process manager, that would mean the process is in some ultra-zombie state  ???

My bad, after terminating outerra.exe *32 it finally updated and the program loaded.

One issue is that I can't get the MSAA-8X option too enable after restarting. FXAA works but MSAA-8X doesn't? Other than that the performance is surprisingly good compared to what I've seen in the past with ATI/AMD GPU's and Outerra.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 03:33:09 pm by djt »

Spudly

« Reply #261 on: August 18, 2012, 12:26:12 am »

I tried the 305.53 nvidia drivers with a GTX 470 and every thing works fine.  Did they fix something that was broken?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #262 on: August 18, 2012, 01:29:04 am »

One issue is that I can't get the MSAA-8X option too enable after restarting. FXAA works but MSAA-8X doesn't? Other than that the performance is surprisingly good compared to what I've seen in the past with ATI/AMD GPU's and Outerra.
MSAA modes are disabled on ATI in the dev version because of a driver bug, shaders can't read depth values from multisample depth surfaces correctly. We need to check it with the new drivers again.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #263 on: August 18, 2012, 01:31:02 am »

I tried the 305.53 nvidia drivers with a GTX 470 and every thing works fine.  Did they fix something that was broken?
It seems that 305 is a different driver branch than 304.
304 seem to be a resurrection of the old 29? version that was problematic in a similar way.

djt

« Reply #264 on: August 18, 2012, 03:34:27 pm »

MSAA modes are disabled on ATI in the dev version because of a driver bug, shaders can't read depth values from multisample depth surfaces correctly. We need to check it with the new drivers again.

Figures, I'm beginning to think that trying to run Outerra (or any other game engine that uses OpenGL for that matter) without issues on AMD GPU's is  a lost cause.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #265 on: August 18, 2012, 05:05:34 pm »

Figures, I'm beginning to think that trying to run Outerra (or any other game engine that uses OpenGL for that matter) without issues on AMD GPU's is  a lost cause.
It's not that bad, their dev team is really cooperative, but it takes 3 months until their fixed development drivers get published (because of their QA procedures). We usually need to present a simplified test case that can reproduce the bug, and it can take us some time to make one. So it's usually 4-5 months until people can get a fixed driver from the moment we encounter something wrong. In the last year we submitted like 10 bug reports (and they all got fixed).

Midviki

• Nothing matters... but everything is important.
« Reply #266 on: August 18, 2012, 09:20:26 pm »

- I was playing around with different type of roads and I was thinking, will custom textures importer for the roads would be possible to be added before or after the object importer?Any schedule on that?

- And I was wondering another thing, about the future planet creator when you will develop it, in maybe a few years, if we are eager to start developing and modifying the environment now, investing time till the planet creator will be released, even if we don't intend to take Earth's land masses as role models.But till the release we would like some islands or lets say Japan, or Indonesia,(something small) to work on them.Will you plan on giving us the feature or possibility to modify parts of the maps of other land masses for the rest of the current planet? but as well to keep the feature of our already modified island(s) that we worked on for 1-2 years till then.To not lose what is saved.
ATI AMD RADEON HD 6670

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #267 on: August 19, 2012, 02:19:46 am »

Enhancements to the road system will be made somewhere during the development of major stuff (the biomes), once the importer and vehicle configurator is ready.

As for the custom development of terrain, you can do what ME-DEM guys are doing - creating large, continent-scale height fields with 100m resolution that can be imported. That path will be always possible. The creator will mainly simplify the whole process, allowing you to work at various levels of detail at once, starting off by sketching continent outlines, major mountain ridges and rivers, a biome map etc. Procedural algorithms will generate a believable world out of it down to the ground level, while you will be able to add or modify it at places to match your devices.

The same thing can be achieved by using lots of tools for terrain forming and erosion filters and whatnot, so you might want to take that route when you want to start right now. And the ME-DEM guys are always helpful to the fellow cartographers ;)

Midviki

• Nothing matters... but everything is important.
« Reply #268 on: August 19, 2012, 07:43:02 am »

Thanks for the reply, very informative and helpful. I'l get on to work then!
ATI AMD RADEON HD 6670

Danielcz

• Personal website
« Reply #269 on: August 19, 2012, 10:11:25 am »

Enhancements to the road system will be made somewhere during the development of major stuff (the biomes), once the importer and vehicle configurator is ready.

As for the custom development of terrain, you can do what ME-DEM guys are doing - creating large, continent-scale height fields with 100m resolution that can be imported. That path will be always possible. The creator will mainly simplify the whole process, allowing you to work at various levels of detail at once, starting off by sketching continent outlines, major mountain ridges and rivers, a biome map etc. Procedural algorithms will generate a believable world out of it down to the ground level, while you will be able to add or modify it at places to match your devices.

The same thing can be achieved by using lots of tools for terrain forming and erosion filters and whatnot, so you might want to take that route when you want to start right now. And the ME-DEM guys are always helpful to the fellow cartographers ;)

so this means no hand brush painting terrain heightmap and layers?  :'( but more like geocontrol 2
Game Designer - Level Designer - 3D/2D Graphic
Prophet 9700Pro -X300-X700PRO-X1950XTX-HD1600XT-HD2600XT-HD3870x2-HD4870x2-HD5670-HD6670-R9 290X TriX

http://danielmoravek.com
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 42