Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12

Author Topic: [Released] Alps scenery  (Read 105297 times)

Acetone

• Youtube channel
Re: [WIP] LFNA-LFMX scenery
« Reply #75 on: March 29, 2015, 07:52:02 am »

Yep, his work is incredible, but there are several reasons why Outerra still not use OSM. The following points are purely speculations, from what I know :

• OSM is map based and doesn't have elevation data for vectors. It's not a problem for Xplane, but Outerra render the whole earth in a row and use a slightly different coordinate system. Cameni mentioned at some point he was thinking about updating the road system to remove the elevation coordinates, so the roads may be able to be generated at the ground level, no matter what elevation dataset you are using. This may lead to an easier import of OSM data.
  • The current road system is limited, so I guess they are waiting the updated one to start working on this.
  • The building's ground leveling is competly different in Outerra, it's not a texture but a terrain modification. This may require some adjustments.

I would love to see World2Xplane in Outerra, but I don't think it will happen before some time. However, we don't really know so far how Cameni plans to implement roads/man made stuff, but it may be interesting to see if Tonywob wants to discuss about the technical side of the question here :)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 07:56:50 am by Acetone »

HiFlyer

« Reply #76 on: March 29, 2015, 08:38:14 am »

Yep, his work is incredible, but there are several reasons why Outerra still not use OSM. The following points are purely speculations, from what I know :

• OSM is map based and doesn't have elevation data for vectors. It's not a problem for Xplane, but Outerra render the whole earth in a row and use a slightly different coordinate system. Cameni mentioned at some point he was thinking about updating the road system to remove the elevation coordinates, so the roads may be able to be generated at the ground level, no matter what elevation dataset you are using. This may lead to an easier import of OSM data.
  • The current road system is limited, so I guess they are waiting the updated one to start working on this.
  • The building's ground leveling is competly different in Outerra, it's not a texture but a terrain modification. This may require some adjustments.

I would love to see World2Xplane in Outerra, but I don't think it will happen before some time. However, we don't really know so far how Cameni plans to implement roads/man made stuff, but it may be interesting to see if Tonywob wants to discuss about the technical side of the question here :)

There was actually a thread on Reddit where a user already got OSM to work in Outerra. Never heard from that user again, though.

http://imgur.com/a/9IB3y#0

I also see the occasional web video where Osm is incorporated into procedural maps, usually in Unity. I suspect most of the tech is there, and its more a matter of resources and time than anything else.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 08:45:04 am by HiFlyer »
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #77 on: March 29, 2015, 09:02:52 am »

Oh, completely forgot this one! He found a way to convert the OSM buildings (in a single massive model) but he hand placed the roads.
In fact, I'm pretty sure I've already seen OSM buildings shape in a test video of Outerra :

(crappy quality)

And the related OSM map :

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #78 on: March 29, 2015, 09:58:24 am »

It's a good start.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #79 on: March 29, 2015, 10:29:26 am »

I also see the occasional web video where Osm is incorporated into procedural maps, usually in Unity. I suspect most of the tech is there, and its more a matter of resources and time than anything else.
As an imported geometry, I suppose, not that the import data are converted into "proceduralness". Even if it was possible, each procedural approach is different, so the tech isn't there to be simply cloned.

We are working on a generic vector data importer, not just for OSM but also for other data and for Titan's use, when their customers need to be able to use their own data. Once the importer works, it will be possible for others to import roads and buildings and land vector data etc. However, the process is a bit different because of OT's need for some extra data for continuous refinement and ground level detail.

HiFlyer

« Reply #80 on: March 29, 2015, 12:28:39 pm »

Thanks for that information, Cameni!

@Acetone: When placing buildings,, have you gotten familiar enough with which building is which that you can pull the correct match right away, or do you do trial and error until you find one that fits?

When working with buildings, I find the current names and selection process not very informative, so I wonder how the heck you do it!!

If you've learned them all by heart, you have even more admiration from me!  =D
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #81 on: March 29, 2015, 01:21:40 pm »

We are working on a generic vector data importer, not just for OSM but also for other data and for Titan's use, when their customers need to be able to use their own data. Once the importer works, it will be possible for others to import roads and buildings and land vector data etc. However, the process is a bit different because of OT's need for some extra data for continuous refinement and ground level detail.

Good news :)

@Acetone: When placing buildings,, have you gotten familiar enough with which building is which that you can pull the correct match right away, or do you do trial and error until you find one that fits?

When working with buildings, I find the current names and selection process not very informative, so I wonder how the heck you do it!!
If you've learned them all by heart, you have even more admiration from me!  =D

Actually, World2Xplane models are sorted by size, so it's easy to find what you need. I'm starting to get really used to see what each building is, except for the very large libraries (looking at you germany's buildings). Some others are easy, like the polish set or the Swiss one :)
The only thing I really miss is the possibility to resize the window, to make the list a bit more usefull. Doing custom lists to have only specific sets of buildings could also be useful.
It's only a matter of practice (and a lot of trial and error)  =D

HiFlyer

« Reply #82 on: March 29, 2015, 01:30:59 pm »

Ouch!

Well, anyway, you are off to an ambitious start! Good luck!  8)

Meanwhile, here is something to dream about.  =D

« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 02:52:23 pm by HiFlyer »

sniperwolfpk5

« Reply #83 on: March 30, 2015, 12:11:24 am »

This video is incredible. But this video is uploaded one year ago. Where is this team now. I saw all of their videos. There is no info.

HiFlyer

« Reply #84 on: March 30, 2015, 01:43:57 am »

This video is incredible. But this video is uploaded one year ago. Where is this team now. I saw all of their videos. There is no info.

I think these are academic papers/videos created by temporary research collaborations.

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #85 on: March 31, 2015, 12:21:53 pm »

Starting to look like a real city center.

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
« Reply #86 on: March 31, 2015, 12:45:20 pm »

It looks crazy!!!

Great advance from the last screenshot!
"A man who is contented with what he has done, will never become famous for what he will do".

HiFlyer

« Reply #87 on: March 31, 2015, 01:45:54 pm »

Starting to look like a real city center.

I hope that it might be possible to place Tonywobs buildings among the class of objects where trees automatically don't grow, as at the tree densities I regularly use there can be significant "penetration" with buildings.

And yes, this scenery does seem to be expanding rapidly! Great job!

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #88 on: March 31, 2015, 03:39:46 pm »

I hope that it might be possible to place Tonywobs buildings among the class of objects where trees automatically don't grow, as at the tree densities I regularly use there can be significant "penetration" with buildings.

And yes, this scenery does seem to be expanding rapidly! Great job!

Don't worry, these buildings will a leveled terrain, so no trees will appear here, no matter whar forest setting you want to use :-)

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #89 on: April 01, 2015, 09:56:44 am »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12