Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16

Author Topic: [WIP] Boeing AH-64D Apache Longbow  (Read 161074 times)

PRiME

Re: [WIP] Boeing AH-64D Apache Longbow
« Reply #195 on: January 16, 2016, 06:43:22 pm »

Nice, I did notice the missiles sort of don't follow the same direction/energy of the plane resulting in them going through the wing a bit initially on launch? 

Also do you find the weight/gravity of the flight mechanics realistic? I really wouldn't know myself but it seems aircraft has a fair bit of throw when doing sharp turns like the wings are not cutting into the air correctly to change aircraft direction?

Just an observation. Lastly I found with one of the jets in game the autocannon wasn't automatic but semi-automatic firing, not sure if that can be corrected or not, let me know.

Uriah

• Global Moderator
  • We do these things not because they are easy. -JFK
« Reply #196 on: January 16, 2016, 07:19:03 pm »

Nice, I did notice the missiles sort of don't follow the same direction/energy of the plane resulting in them going through the wing a bit initially on launch? 

Actually, that is because the first two missiles (AGM-65 Maverick) have guidance code which has two specific flyout profiles, LOBL high and LOBL low (LOBL = Lock On Before Launch). They first attain level flight during the boost phase of flight, (while the rotor motor is burning), and once the rocket burns out they change into the cruise phase. In LOBL high it attains a glide slope in order not to loose too much velocity, but not loose too much altitude, while in LOBL low it descends to a lower altitude in order to impact the target at a low angle. With the seeker locked onto the laser spot/target, the AGM cruises until a predetermined distance from the target, at which point it enters terminal guidance. In LOBL high the terminal guidance attains a high angle of descent at a shorter distance from the target, in order to impact at approximate a 45 degree angle. In LOBL low the guidance maintains a low angle glide slope locked up with a trajectory to intercept the target. In both high and low modes, the seeker tracks the laser spot, so the laser designator can lead the missile onto a moving target. The other missiles in the video were AIM-9M Sidewinder, which do not currently have guidance for air-to-air working properly, and since they are not locked onto a target, they simply fall. The missiles I will be releasing may not have all of this functionaly yet, simply because I don't have a good interface which would allow the user to select guidance modes. You can currently select between air-to-air and air-to-ground modes, as well as select the weapon to fire, and turn on/off Laser Arm and Master Arm. I'll need fully functional MFDs in order to do it all properly.

Also do you find the weight/gravity of the flight mechanics realistic? I really wouldn't know myself but it seems aircraft has a fair bit of throw when doing sharp turns like the wings are not cutting into the air correctly to change aircraft direction?

JSBSim flight modelling is not easy, to say the least, and even more so difficult for helicopters than traditional aircraft configurations. The only modifications I have made so far to bongodriver's EuroFighter were to implement the weapon system setting the correct mass and drag depending on what external store is on each station. It will take many months of work in order to build even a medium fidelity FDM. Currently the weight, wing area, thrust and other metrics are all approximately correct, however the lift and drag coefficients are not correct at all, and need to be calculated. Right now at high alpha (Angle of Attack), there is too little drag and too much lift. Even though the EuroFighter has super-maneuverability, with high static instability, it should not be able to perform 15 G maneuvers, and doing so would certainly kill the pilot and tear the wings off!  :)) A proper fly-by-wire system would limit the aircraft's ability to exceed around 9 Gs, but an improved flight model will make the most difference in terms of an accurate flight envelope.

Just an observation. Lastly I found with one of the jets in game the autocannon wasn't automatic but semi-automatic firing, not sure if that can be corrected or not, let me know.

This is already fixed thanks to SteelRat's simple JavaScript code, but should probably be a parameter of the fire method on the engine side in the long term. Advanced ballistics will be implemented at some point in the future, to account for such effects as ballistic coefficient, spin drift, wind drift, etc.

Hope that answers some of your questions.

Regards,
Uriah

PRiME

« Reply #197 on: January 16, 2016, 07:52:04 pm »

Cheers for the reply.  8)

MrWohoo

• Rotorhead
« Reply #198 on: March 09, 2016, 03:58:58 am »

Hey Uriah \ KW71 . Im seeing great progress to become one of the highest detailed, physics perfect helicopters in Outerra\ any other game for that matter. I'm still watching, lurking from behind the windows of your constructionhall.

I was wondering when we, us small anticipating peons, can try out the alpha (?) of the helicopter ?

Cheers :)
Without Sikorsky, we wouldnt be here !

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
« Reply #199 on: March 09, 2016, 03:22:47 pm »

Hi, MrWohoo!

We know the official announcement was made long time ago. I know "A.S.A.P." may not sound enough, but is what I can tell you now. Thanks for your patience... it will pay!  :)
"A man who is contented with what he has done, will never become famous for what he will do".

josem75

« Reply #200 on: March 09, 2016, 04:12:06 pm »

Hi, MrWohoo!

We know the official announcement was made long time ago. I know "A.S.A.P." may not sound enough, but is what I can tell you now. Thanks for your patience... it will pay!  :)

This Apache Project is in the middle of a very big Outerra update (OSM Rivers, Weather, 25m terrain, and more things). Anybody can imagine how to handle with all of the fixings required for all this data and programation.. 
The time to wait is the price for see things we never saw before.. For do things nobody did before..
A entire planet Engine, now covered with entire OSM rivers..
 I know here all the comunity know that, and wait with patience. I will never und those people outside (not in this forum) saying outerra takes forever, or its dead with no changes.. Are they blind?? Anybody is doing something like that there outside??
Outerra is being the first.. They are the fastest doing this kind of product.

And said that..
I cant wait to see all the changes!! xD 
Including your Amazing apache.. This will be the best update since many time
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 04:50:18 pm by josem75 »

MrWohoo

• Rotorhead
« Reply #201 on: March 10, 2016, 07:19:29 am »

Hi, MrWohoo!

Hey man, no worries. We have the greatest patience to you and your counterpart :)

Aslong as you dont make the startup as difficult as the russians.. because.. If you want to steal a russian helicopter, you need to steal the instruction manual and an instructor aswell :P

https://youtu.be/lfHU25sNWjI?t=145

In hindsight, i never did manage to start the MI-8 in DCS...

Joe 2.0

« Reply #202 on: May 11, 2016, 05:53:33 pm »

Woot! Now there's an FPS mode so I can run the route around Gray AAF like I used to at the crack of dawn. Which was terrible. Never do it, it sucks.

Anyways, all of this looks amazing. I'm not sure if I'm more excited about the Apache or the fact that JBLM is capable of being in the game now, as it's a place I've lived and served. Will the JBLM model include both Main post and North Fort?

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #203 on: May 13, 2016, 02:02:08 am »

Aslong as you dont make the startup as difficult as the russians.. because.. If you want to steal a russian helicopter, you need to steal the instruction manual and an instructor aswell :P

https://youtu.be/lfHU25sNWjI?t=145

In hindsight, i never did manage to start the MI-8 in DCS...

... whats so difficult there ? ... checking switches battery/DC - fuel tanks n valves - start APU - start engines - turn on generators n switch DC/battery - turn down APU - switch on all lights n instrumentation. You keep these "blocks" of tasks in mind and a few attempts on your own should do the trick. Besides, aside the fact that MI-8 has its systems all nicely at one place abowe second pilot (and you actually need to remember just those witch you dont turn on), its the same procedure as in the Kamov or the mi-24 :

At turning off, just rotors to idle and cut all fuel-valves ... then all switches.

We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
« Reply #204 on: May 13, 2016, 08:07:28 am »

As long as the labels are in english!  =D
"A man who is contented with what he has done, will never become famous for what he will do".

Woogey

« Reply #205 on: August 20, 2016, 04:20:24 am »

Hey Guys,
-
I know this is an Apache thread, but also seems to be the only place where JBLM/Gray AAF is showcased, so I thought you might like to see these photos taken 8-21-16.  There are some VERY nice shots that show off the entire Army side of the base.  https://www.flickr.com/photos/16thcombataviationbrigade/albums/72157672600306926/with/29067924926/

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #206 on: August 20, 2016, 01:53:36 pm »

Hey Guys,
-
I know this is an Apache thread, but also seems to be the only place where JBLM/Gray AAF is showcased, so I thought you might like to see these photos taken 8-21-16.  There are some VERY nice shots that show off the entire Army side of the base.  https://www.flickr.com/photos/16thcombataviationbrigade/albums/72157672600306926/with/29067924926/

Wow, nice! We had a very hard time finding references pictures of the base. The best source we had was the satellite images from google maps, + some pictures, most of them old. Really cool, thanks a lot :)

Woogey

« Reply #207 on: August 20, 2016, 05:49:53 pm »

There are some great High Res shots there! How do I get the current Apache and JBLM ADD-ONS?  I couldn't find a link for them anywhere?   Also I hear TITAN IM  Will very likely be releasing a consumer  Version of their sim for us civilians  here in the near future, maybe even by the end of the year.   Does anybody know how closely Titan is still related to Outerra?   Will the Apache and the JBLM scenery work in that Sim?  I marvel at the possibilities That Outerra brings, but also Crave imediate gratification!  I would love to be up and flying sooner rather than later.   More than that, actually operating in a cohesive multiplayer environment, with a purpose. 

-Woog

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
« Reply #208 on: August 23, 2016, 09:23:22 am »

How do I get the current Apache and JBLM ADD-ONS?  I couldn't find a link for them anywhere?   
-Woog

Hi, Woogey!

They haven't been released yet. As the Apache is more than just an improved 3D model thanks to great Uriah's work, we have been delay due some technical reasons, and JBLM scenery is meant to be a pack with the Apache. Let's hope we can have all ready soon.

MrWohoo

• Rotorhead
« Reply #209 on: October 05, 2016, 02:14:19 pm »

Well hello there again KW71 and Uriah and ofcourse all others who are apart of this wonderful project. Its sad to hear that you have run into a technical glitch but i do hope you will get over it eventually :)

I'm just hoping that youre all OK and are living happy days.

Cheers !
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16