Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Poll

What genre/area interests you most with regards to Outerra? 3 votes per user.

Flight simulators
- 243 (20.5%)
Train simulators
- 37 (3.1%)
Car simulators
- 87 (7.3%)
Military sims/games
- 157 (13.2%)
Fantasy/medieval games
- 66 (5.6%)
Sci-fi space games
- 108 (9.1%)
Social games
- 18 (1.5%)
Creation of virtual worlds
- 131 (11%)
Use in productions, movies, visualization etc.
- 16 (1.3%)
Strategy/civilization-style games
- 76 (6.4%)
Sandbox - Physics/Building games
- 199 (16.8%)
Ship/submarine simulator
- 48 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 462

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: Who's here?  (Read 99728 times)

PRiME

Re: Who's here?
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2012, 06:30:55 pm »

I'm primarily interested in making a military game of some sort (still not sure what will work) that allows you to build you military vehicles up etc... Grind games such as WoT etc can bring in some nice cash if done right. Hopefully the engine can come along nicely by end of year to allow for some Independent Dev Work to start.

WoT = World of Tanks
Grind = Putting in time and effort for experience points to help unlock better stuff in-game etc...
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 06:52:54 pm by PRiME »

PTTG

• The following post is procedurally generated:
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2012, 12:44:54 pm »

What's WoT? And Grind games?

atazs

« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2012, 01:19:47 pm »

What is the point of flight simulators? This engine's focus shouldnt be flight simulators. They will become boring after a few months. What is the point of flying around an empty earth when you could do some much more fun things? It needs to do something that will revolutionalize gaming. A military sim like Arma or a sandbox game like Wurm online could make so much more profit and they'll keep you entertained for more time aswell. There is a lot of flight simulators out there but not so much games like arma and wurm.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 01:23:02 pm by atazs »

Jagerbomber

« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2012, 01:26:43 pm »

That's your opinion.
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2012, 03:12:13 pm »

Flight simulators are not boring but I do think they wont use this engine even close to its full potential. The Military sim aspect is a good focus because you get planes, Ground vehicles and on-foot action in almost equal amounts. How realistic each aspect is will only be limited by our userbase. And this does not mean pure leisure flight simmers will have to worry about rocket launchers. We are looking at a development angle. Who and what and where can come later.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

[deleted]

« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2012, 03:20:27 pm »

First of all let's think of a multiplayer, then we can go further. This is my opinion.

KelvinNZ

• A clock that doesn't work still works twice a day!
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2012, 06:10:36 pm »

Flight simulators are not boring but I do think they wont use this engine even close to its full potential. The Military sim aspect is a good focus because you get planes, Ground vehicles and on-foot action in almost equal amounts. How realistic each aspect is will only be limited by our userbase. And this does not mean pure leisure flight simmers will have to worry about rocket launchers. We are looking at a development angle. Who and what and where can come later.

FS developers are breaking new ground all the time look at some of the technology for flight sim x by orbx. I wouldn't think to be too closed minded about this. You would be surprised about what could be achieved with great minds.
If a man who cannot count finds a four-leaf clover, is he lucky?

PRiME

« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2012, 06:55:50 pm »

A military sim covers flight sims, however putting extreme detail in isn't needed to just get the idea going. Provided the functions can work the community et al will be able to do it. Since the Outerra/Anteworld team need to focus on getting features into a SDK rather then making amazing looking planes and tanks etc...
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 08:40:46 pm by PRiME »

Majority

« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2012, 08:38:32 pm »

A military sim covers flight sims, however putting extreme detail in isn't need to just get the idea going. Provided the functions can work the community et al will be able to do it. Since the Outerra/Anteworld team need to focus on getting features into a SDK rather then making amazing looking planes and tanks etc...

+1

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2012, 02:09:39 am »

Well odds are the community would be supplying the amazing looking planes and tanks.. The Dev teams job would just be getting it all to work.

Cameni and Angry are not modelers, texture artists or even Game designers. They are however awesome and need only lay down the foundation (SDK, Importers, etc) for the obsessive people to apply their skills with.

So say a Milsim is what came to be out of Ante-World. Some rudimentary items would be given to us but everything else could, would and should be user-made, submitted and shared to improve the usability of the Outerra engine in supporting all future games/mods.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Bartolomeus

• VirtualTechArt Design
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2012, 02:49:59 am »

Would like to have a Ship/submarine simulator with Outerra!  ;)

PTTG

« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2012, 11:37:55 am »

... Grind games such as WoT ...
WoT = World of Tanks
Grind = Putting in time and effort for experience points to help unlock better stuff in-game etc...

Grinding is bad. It should, wherever possible, be removed from any game. I spend all day grinding away at work, so when I get home, I want to be able to sit down and do something and see immediate, real rewards.

PRiME

« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2012, 07:44:49 pm »

Giving the players EVERYTHING in game straight away means they will play for 10minutes, put game down, and no money exchanges.  Unless you mean just make all things buyable in game with real money, some things you can do that but making a game solely on that won't work.

WoT has a free to play model, if you want bonuses you pay, if you want the top tank you must grind the research tree to get to it. This ensures players come back and eventually will be tempted to spend money to speed up the whole process.

PTTG

« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2012, 01:51:21 am »

Did you know that it is possible to make a game that is engaging and interesting over a long time without having tedious busywork between interesting bits? And anyway, if there's only ten minutes of interesting content in a game, count me out.

Look at Team Fortress- you have all the basic tools from the beginning. Given time, you get more advanced and specific tools, but none of them are (permanently) overpowering. The game has very little to do with these new items enabling entirely new approaches, rather, it focuses on the multitude of actions players can take and the immediate rewards of tactics and combat.

Consider Starcraft: in an hour, you can have built every structure in the game and every unit. This, however, is only the very beginning. There are still people playing Starcraft one, and its expansion pack.

Perhaps you'd prefer to play Progress Quest.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2012, 02:48:02 am »

I don't think grinding is going to be an issue. In my mind the actual GAME is going to be a slow development. Which means..

> "Go down to earth and start getting your shite together"

This might involve doing surveys and planning energy productions and road building and fortifications.. Not 4 hours of gameplay. If it is going to truly rule on an epic scale just doing this stuff might take a micro-managing real life WEEK of gameplay to accomplish. At this point you are dealing with prep-work. The next month or two of real world gameplay could be setting up long distance travel for goods between other players (even if not really in multiplayer 100%) The people in the mountains are certainly not growing enough food on their own to survive and the people in the farmlands have no Thorium or whatever the people in the mountains are mining.

This all sounds very civil at first. Everyone getting things done. So lets throw a curve ball. Thingsthataretryingtokillyou get turned on.. Now what was a sim city and building exercise has become a very different environment. Does making smaller but faster delivery's via planes and Blimps make more sense because of the lower danger from attack? Has your neighbor gone rouge and is stealing from you in the night?

Are There Dragons?

Technology upgrades every month.

Real Time First Person Shooting of bad things and people.

Missions delivering resources to sustain life or even just complete colony re-location because of the danger.

All the Genre's, All the time.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10